It's not "MAIKING BREAKTHROUGH", please...

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

AchtungAffen
Banned

It's not "MAIKING BREAKTHROUGH", please...

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:08 am

So, Gainax's new animé, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann became a "lost in translation" title.

When this one was announced, it's official site had some ad image which read "MAIKING BREAKTHROUGH GURREN-LAGANN" and had some text in Japanese I can't remember. A couple days later, the image changed and now said "MAKING BREAKTHROUGH...".

Now, the image is gone, and you won't find MAIKING or MAKING in that whole goddam site.

But the people at ANN, who prefer using "translated" titles as their main entries for each animé and manga, fell for it. The title was first put as MAIKING BREAKTHROUGH GURREN-LAGANN. Now I think they made the MAKING change.

And the misconception spread. Now even in IMDB we get this shit.

I posted this a long time ago at ANN's feedback forum, cuz I couldn't change that name by myself. Like they paid me any attention.

Please people, let's not make this title the first Gainax one to be licensed with a lost in translation, or lost in common sense, title. Please mr. fandom, have pity on original names.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”