What characters should be expanded upon?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Houndour
Adam

What characters should be expanded upon?

•      
  •      

Postby Houndour » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Fairly self explanatory - which ones do you want to see more of, learn more about?

For me, it'd be good if Rei became a more concrete character. Although I'm not the best at picking up on subtleties, the stuff I have established about her by watching the series, in my mind, is flimsy. Also, besides the fact that they're supporting figures to the plot, a further look at the Nerv gang (Maya, Motoko and Shigeru) would be good.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:01 am

I've never been a big fan of Rei, I always thought she was a bit one dimensional. It would be interesting if they could make her more dynamic without completely changing her character.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:14 am

I dunno if I want to see Rei explored much more, part of what I found interesting about her was her mystery. Meh.

Though I'd still love to see more of Kaworu, so I'm happy it seems that'll happen.

Though, since they are bringing in Kaworu earlier, it seems to make sense to me that they might be focussing a tad on Toji more too.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Shawn Dudley
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shawn Dudley » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:54 am

I think they will focus a LOT more on both Rei and Kaworu, as they are both key to unlocking the secrets of the story. The Japanese have always liked Rei the most among all the EVA characters (and frankly, she grows on me as well), so I would suspect we're going to see much more of her in the new movies, and possibly even a stronger Rei/Shinji pairing than was hinted at in the TV series (Sadamoto's already sort of done that in the manga).

Another character I'd like to see expanded on is actually Gendo - it would be interesting to see him at Shinji's age, or a bit older, and what he was like.
"Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Me, who believes in you." -Kamina the Great

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:33 pm

I would like to see a little more of Rei as well but who I want them to really flesh out is Kaji. His background and the fact that he is a spy for all three factions is very intriguing.

Along with that I want to know more about the entirely new character they are creating for the movie.

One thing I am not looking foward to is their revamp of the SEELE and Nerv emblems to that of something similiar to Apple Computers. (i.e. an apple with a bite taken out of it.)
Last edited by Hunter21 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Hunter21 wrote:One thing I am not looking foward to is their revamp of the SEELE and Nerv emblems to that of something similiar to Apple Computers. (i.e. and apple with a bite taken out of it.)

Why?

I mean, it's pretty obvious by now that Steve Jobs is one of them.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 pm

BobBQ wrote:
Hunter21 wrote:One thing I am not looking foward to is their revamp of the SEELE and Nerv emblems to that of something similiar to Apple Computers. (i.e. and apple with a bite taken out of it.)

Why?

I mean, it's pretty obvious by now that Steve Jobs is one of them.

haha

EDIT: if anything, I doubt any of the characters will get fleshed out more, if anything, there's going to be a more "conciseness of character introductions and development" since they're working with a lot less time.
Last edited by Ornette on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:57 pm

Rei and Kaworu getting expanded upon but having the same personalities would be nice.

Also, seeing Asuka's childhood in Germany, before, after and during the ordeal with her mother. ie, when and why did Misato live with her for awhile anyway, before Asuka was with Kaji as the start of 22' states?

More of Kaji, Misato and Ritsuko in their college days would be nice too, and what the hell, showing Shinji what it was like while he was at his sensei, as a way to see how much he really grew since then.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shawn Dudley
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shawn Dudley » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:23 pm

I wanna see how Misato got PenPen!!!
"Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Me, who believes in you." -Kamina the Great

terminus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby terminus » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:06 pm

hmmm.. maybe more elaboration on first and second impact, and of course Pen Pen!

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:01 am

Kensuke Aida!

Why?

No one has mentioned, neither will.
I like to keep original ^^
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:43 am

Big Panda wrote:Kensuke Aida!

Why?

At least they should show him after Toji gets hospitalized (or buried).
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:25 pm

I for one would like to see characters that were mentioned but got little, if any, screen time. Misato's Dad, for example, would be good if for no other reason than to see the 2I from his POV.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Res Novae
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Res Novae » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 pm

BobBQ wrote:I mean, it's pretty obvious by now that Steve Jobs is one of them.

Yeah, man. Didn't you know? Evangelion is actually about the eternal struggle between Apple and Microsoft.
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

GoJu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GoJu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:27 pm

AuthenticM wrote:
Big Panda wrote:Kensuke Aida!

Why?

At least they should show him after Toji gets hospitalized (or buried).

that'd be interesting! Seeing the reaction of Kensuke, Hikari and maybe actually seeing his sister would be pretty cool, hell I'd like to see more of what became of Touji!

I would like to think all the parts where Rei is not in the show we'll her, like for instance when Misato's party was going on maybe we'll see what she was doing, when Misato was on dates with Kaji and the infamous kiss scene happened maybe we'll see what she was doing and more introspection on her thoughts like there is in the manga.

Not a big Kaworu fan, my guess is we'll see him growing up Keele and his processing with MP Eva dummy plugs and that sort of thing.

Misato's dad, Kaji's brother, would be cool to see too.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:12 pm

I"m kinda hoping that Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari don't just fade away like they did in the anime. Anywho, the character I want them to expand on the most is.........Asuka. =)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:42 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Anywho, the character I want them to expand on the most is.........Asuka. =)

In before bad puns.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:44 pm

Reichu wrote:In before bad puns.

LOL, pervert.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:10 am

I'd like it if they expanded on everyone. That way, everyone wins, and no one gets shafted character wise, Rei style! :D
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Millions Livio » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:03 pm

There are several characters I'd like to see "expand" upon, however just in certain areas. Have to remember this will be four movies which I'll assume to be around two hours each, thus about eight hours to explain everything, meaning every minute is precious and needs to be used accordingly.

Starting off, I'd like to see Gendo "expand" upon. We got to see a lot of him from the outside, but not enough from the inside. I'd like to see him more by himself, or in his more private moments (no pun intended). How he acted around Yui (as she stated he's different around her, which I believe her, he most likely did act different around her.), some of the stuff he did behind the scenes we never saw. I'd like to see more on him right before the second impact, how he just kind of "disappeared" of sorts. Use his character to flesh out more of the story that was never fully explained in the original EVA series.

Now, much like Gendo, I'd like to see more of Kaji. He is a triple agent via all three organizations, thus he could really patch a lot of stuff up. I'd like to see more of him and also Asuka in Germany as well.

Which leads me to Asuka, I'd like to see more of her from the time between her mother's death and her arrival, more on her and Kaji, and perhaps a little bit about her exceeding through school and college, not to mention the German branch. I hope they don't dwell too far into this, maybe just a few minutes here or there from it, would be good for depth.

Shinji is a character that would be nice if they cut down a bit on, but added a little element to him. The "Berserker" aspect from the EVA was kind of a signal of Shinji in himself. Perhaps not related in the original aspect, but during the ending parts of the movies, it'd be interesting to see him just kind of loose it in that way, then he keeps at it and pretty much looses it more and then we have the screaming insane "out of my mind" Shinji that is about to just break. It seems more realistic and fitting for his character then how he was portrayed, but hey, I'm not Anno. It might take away from his "anti-hero" a bit, but I think in essence it would actually add to it. Seeing as he'd be fighting for almost no cause at that point.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”