How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Watericekiller
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Watericekiller » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 pm

A friend strongly encouraged me to watch Evangelion. It took me awhile to actually get to watching it, but once I did it was easily my favorite anime, and still is to date.
"Her arms always tell the story"

Folk Devil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Folk Devil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm actually pretty new to the game. I had been aware of Evangelion for a long time but I was never really much into anime, like I liked it but I probably hated about 9 out of ten shows I saw. I tried on about three or four different occasions to watch it on a recommendation from some friends but I could never really get into it. It just seemed like another mecha anime to me, the whole concept of "giant robots" (I didn't know what Evas actually were at the time, remember) turned me off a lot. I thought the angel designs were cool but that was about it. I don't remember how exactly I found out Toji was gonna be the fourth child but that seemed stupid to me (because I didn't really understand how the selection process worked, I thought it was just random chance, so it seemed to me at the time like they were just pulling it out of their ass.) I quit after that, writing the whole series off as "overrated."

Then about a year ago I said "I'm gonna marathon the damn thing, and give it another chance." Can't remember what exactly spurred me to do it but I delivered some chicken wings and watched it all in about three days. EOE really affected me, which is weird since I had been spoiled on a lot of the plot points. It probably stuck with me more than any other movie, and I haven't really been able to stop thinking about it.

It's now a yearly tradition for me. A few weeks ago was the second annual Feast of Evangelion, held every July, which consists of a marathon viewing and traditional meal of chicken wings.
The Creative Principle: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11251079/1/The-Creative-Principle

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:39 pm

I started watching NGE for the first time ever, starting yesterday.

So basically....I've been on this site for 2 years and never watched a single episode of NGE. I'm only on this hell ride because my boyfriend dragged me here and I happened to make friends before joining, who use this site frequently and watch the show. Before, I only enjoyed it through the memes and fan art, also the merch. I'm up to episode 7 so far. Honestly though, I feel way too disorderly to enjoy this show to the fullest. I keep pausing it and doing something else because my attention span sucks. on episode 4 I was watching it while drawing pictures of pokemon in ms paint. Am I too dumb to watch this show? It's okay if that's the truth that's why I watch Anpanman and Pokemon, because I'm a womanchild shitbaby.

Anyway, yeah! Hooray for me. I'm probably gonna end up watching the whole series and being incapable of explaining it to someone.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

From one fan to another. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:06 pm

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:I started watching NGE for the first time ever, starting yesterday.

NGE was a partial inspiration for Digimon Tamers. Someone here before theorized that the Evas inspired Omnimon's design.

Just sayin'.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: From one fan to another. BP

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:43 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:NGE was a partial inspiration for Digimon Tamers. Someone here before theorized that the Evas inspired Omnimon's design.

Just sayin'.

lol I only watch digimon for fanservice purposes. I often think about
how sexy leomon and exveemon are

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: From one fan to another. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:lol I only watch digimon for fanservice purposes.

Digimon Frontier I think would have a better supply. Very few shows, however, can compare to G Gundam.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

SURVEY: How and when did you get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:30 am

At Otakon, I conducted a variant of that wedding game where they have all married couples on the dance floor, and then eliminate them by years to find out who's been married the longest. Only in this instance, we were trying to see who'd been a fan the longest. To my surprise, there were something like 4 people who had been fans all the way back to 1995. Carl Horn sent me an email afterwards, expressing how he wish there was hard data with those numbers, so I thought I would put together a simple survey to get a general idea of how and when people got into Evangelion. Please take the time to fill it out. It's very short, and I'd love to hear from as many people as possible. If you have any friends on Facebook or Twitter who are also fans, please feel free to share it with them.

Thanks!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K5B9G8K

EDIT: As it turns out, Survey Monkey is free, but only allows for 100 responses to a survey before it throws all additional data behind a paywall. It's a minimum of $228 for an account to get the rest of the data and continue to collect responses, so I went ahead and closed it, rather than waste peoples' time filling out a form with a response that would never be seen.

Thanks for filling out the form if you did, I'll post the results later, though they won't quite be as revealing as they could have with a limited sample set.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaudSept
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ChaudSept » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am

Done.

You didn't want to add more demographic infos, such as age?
I always get myself interested in the audience's age.
At the very Beginning is playing.
Imagine. You’re driving home, you’re in a forest and the road is straight. You can easily see the skyline. Night is almost upon you yet you feel the sun behind the clouds. The sky gets darker and darker as the cumulonimbus spread shadow across the land. Rain drops lightly it seems as though they’re announcing the venue of something greater. All the way down the horizon you see a storm forming. You keep driving, the clouds doesn’t scare you yet you worry. You should. The tempest is fully formed, now the song is midway and you see light, white light illuminating the vale. The lightings are close even though the thunder remains quiet to your ear.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 am

Eh... well, the main purpose of the survey was when, and to see if there was strong correspondence with certain things, like the Toonami airing, the Platinum release, Rebuild, and so on. Age would probably have been a good thing to add, but, ah well...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:16 am

Sex/gender would've been another good one, what with EGF being a massive sausage party and all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 am

Yeah, this really isn't a census, and every extra question makes people less likely to fill out, when I'm really just interested in how/when. This is also not for EGF, it's for the fandom in general, I've shared it in a few other places.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:56 am

I'm specifically curious about whether the fandom in general is less of a sausage party. Hard numbers would've been nice. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Nothing stopping you launching your own survey.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:24 pm

So... it's kinda a long story.

I first heard of the name Evangelion around 1998, when my sister noticed the title on the TV guide and pointed it out to me. It was the German dub broadcasted on RTL II, which we've been pirating on a satellite dish (mostly so that my sister could watch Sailor Moon; she recorded thirty-something hours of footage on VCR, most of which we still have to this day).

Episodes 23 and 25 were broadcast, back to back, at around midnight. Having been seven years old at the time and not speaking German (I still don't), I couldn't stay awake to watch all of it, nor did I understand a word of it. I forgot all about it rather quickly. My sister did show some interest in it, though; she even got a few fanfics downloaded and printed out by someone.

Sometime around me starting high school (2005), I accidentally stumbled upon Wikipedia's article of Evangelion and read all of it, but that was it. Then around 2006-2007, I was a member of the Facepunch forum and a regular in the official topic of Garry's Mod Spacebuild Model Pack (later renamed to Spacebuild Enhancement Pack). Someone brought up Evangelion and gave me a glowing recommendation of it. That was when it finally grabbed my interest: the guy who recommended it to me gave me a link to a site where I watched a bootleg version online. Shortly afterwards, I grabbed a bootleg download, which is still sitting on my external hard drive right next to me.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:44 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Nothing stopping you launching your own survey.

If you do, use something other than Survey Monkey. See my post edit above.

ChaudSept
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ChaudSept » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Google do a pretty cool survey thing. I bet it's free.
At the very Beginning is playing.
Imagine. You’re driving home, you’re in a forest and the road is straight. You can easily see the skyline. Night is almost upon you yet you feel the sun behind the clouds. The sky gets darker and darker as the cumulonimbus spread shadow across the land. Rain drops lightly it seems as though they’re announcing the venue of something greater. All the way down the horizon you see a storm forming. You keep driving, the clouds doesn’t scare you yet you worry. You should. The tempest is fully formed, now the song is midway and you see light, white light illuminating the vale. The lightings are close even though the thunder remains quiet to your ear.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:35 am

Wow, closed already. Hope you got the data you needed! I'm curious if you included any questions about hearing of the show prior to watching it (my case, though I watched it a good 2-3 years after hearing about it).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

The one true Way. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 am

First saw scenes of EoE in '99 thanks to a cousin, but I only realized this in hindsight. Saw the first episode during super robot week, was left wanting more, but I don't think it'd be right to call me a "fan". That didn't happen until the AS 2005-06 broadcast.

Mind, I didn't wait for the broadcast to finish; I downloaded some crappy On Air dub versions, and finished the series that way. I recently recovered those video files; the pixelation, background distortion, and other artifacts brought along from its VHS source is what makes it Evangelion. It's the only way to watch it. :tongue:

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:48 pm

I get that the survey is already closed. But I would like to answer anyway. I saw most of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion back in 1999 (I say "most" because we borrowed the tapes, yes the white 2 episode per VHS tapes, from a friend whenever he had them and we skipped tape 9 (eps. 18-19) and I was grounded during eps. 21-21). I was in the 5th grade, age 10. I am male btw.

What's neat about this, is that I lived 2 hrs. away from Houston at the time, the birthplace of he "wonderful" English dub of the series (something I don't think enough American Eva fans give credit to seeing many of us might've not known about Eva otherwise prior to widespread internet usage).

2000- I learned about End of Evangelion (after having a bizarre dream about Evangelion a week prior) when the same mutual friend brought over the soundtrack of the movie. My first glimpse into the movie was from little images on the CD booklet.

In 2001, I made sculpture of Lilith on the red cross for my art class, it was destroyed a few months later by crazed religious mother.

In 2002, I had saved up some money to get the first two episodes of Eva on tape (I wanted to slowly build up my own collection) from a store called Animagic, those things cost $25.00 back then! A few days later, it was discovered, and my mom made me smash it with a hammer.

Later that year, I almost cried when I saw End of Evangelion available at F.YE.(are these stores even around?)

In 2003, I nearly did a back flip when I saw Sachiel in Toonami's Giant Robot Week, I was very careful to record those 2 eps. in secret (although by then I was kind of a pro at recording things I wasn't "supposed to watch"- namely anime- as I had gotten lots of practice with the old school Saturday line up of Adult Swim).

Not really any activity in 2004 although I do remember being curious about the LAEM and the Resurrection episodes.

In 2005 I remember getting super excited about seeing Eva on Adult Swim and totally planned on recording them. However, my cousin gave me and my brothers the "Perfect collection" on DVD that summer before the show aired. It was my second viewing of the show after several years. There were so many refreshers, questions answered by a simply re-watching, and a sense of completion as I watched the episodes I had missed. I did this in one night as I binged HARD on the show after so many years of deprivation. It was like early morning light as I finished and I was exhausted and had the weird "insomnia" feeling as I started having all these "profound" thoughts and emotion about the ending of the show. It was depressing, exhausting, and beautiful all at the same time.

That fall, I got my hands on a bootleg duplication of Manga's version of End of Evangelion.

In 2006 my dad pawned the Perfect Collection for....probably drugs.

In 2008 I got my hands on the Platinum Collection and finally saw the DC cuts.

2009- I bought a copy of Eva 1.11 (English Dub)

2011- I got my hands on a decent copy of EoE and bought a copy of Eva 2.22 (English Dub).

2013 joined Evageeks and immersed myself in many interesting conversations in the forums.

2015- Still waiting on Eva 3.33 (English Dub) and I bought a copy of Death and Rebirth and watch edit for the first time , which (in my opinion) was a nice way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series, or at least this is what I convinced myself of so as to not see it as a total waste of time.

And that's a brief overview of the first 16 years of me being a fan of Evangelion.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:11 pm

I was a latecomer to the EVA fandom, as I seem to be to many things. When I was in middle school I got a book about real and fictional robots, and it had a chapter on robots in anime and manga, including EVA. However, it wasn't until I was in high school that I started watching the show.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”