How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Cobadome
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:16 am

My first contact with NGE i think it was in 2001 a friend tells me in shool from a "cool" anime series :D
After watching with him the series in english i was fascinated about. And in school we made a lot of discussions about the Eva and the Angels :tongue: Later i had started read the manga and NGE became my favorite Anime and Manga (love the manga) :rolleyes:

Joseki
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:20 am

I knew it was a highly praised serie with some movie reboots that have a strange numeration by surfing the internet and searching for good anime. I didn't bother watching it for years until I saw the Blu Ray and DVD of the Rebuilds in stand at a comicon. I was searching for some Ghibli movies and the cover for 1.11 looked so cool. In the next 4 days I saw NGE+EoE+Rebuilds.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

The Divine Emperor
Embryo
Location: A wild weird clime that lieth, sublime, out of Space, out of Time

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:48 pm

I developed an interest as a direct result of my fanatical interest in "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" (manga more so than film). Upon learning that Anno was a protege of Miyazaki Hayao (and that there are some small Easter-egg references in NGE to the manga: indeed, Anno at one time hoped to author a spin-off of his mentor's magnum opus), I thought NGE would definitely be worth my time. I was not disappointed.
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

Settie
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 pm

My first exposure came in the early 2000s when NGE was airing on Adult Swim. Don't even remember if it finished its full run that first time i saw it. After hearing about the rebuild movies but shortly before they were to start coming out i rewatched NGE+EoE to get caught up the whole story proper.

The NTE though, initially i only watched 1.0 in late 2000s and got pretty disappointed since at the time it seemed like just a rehash of NGE with better animation. Watched 2.0 as soon as all the spoilery stuff regarding 3.0 made it clear it would indeed be different from NGE, and watched 3.0 soon after it came out. So i guess i got exposed early but only got into it quite late.

Fougade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fougade » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:34 am

I was aware of Evangelion years before I actually watched the series , due to its reputation within the anime community. I eventually binged the series + EOE within the space of a week.

C.T.1290
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:12 pm

I first saw it years ago on toonami during giant robot week. I also characters like Rei and Asuka on the internet. And back in 2013, I decided to rent the series from Netflix, that's when I got a little mor into it. I think a year later, I've began watching the first two of the rebuild films. and for sometime now, I've been surfing the web about EVA related stuff, both out of fan interest and to look for some answers to clear up a bit of confusion (usually concerning two of the well known characters).

So that's how I got into it. ^_^
Craab People, Craab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. Craab People, Craab People.

AdamMalkobitch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:40 pm

I'd heard the opening theme so many times in remixes and parodies that I decided to check out the original. Something about the lighthearted sounding song paired up with the horrific imagery portrayed through the rough, visceral look of 90s anime really messed with me. It made me feel the same way as I felt when I first played NiGHTS into Dreams, or learning about some sort of lost ancient civilization. I had always gotten this feeling when seeing pictures in textbooks about ancient humans, or seeing old ruins in person, like a sort of connection to early humans, which I know sounds dumb, but bear with me. The clinical corridors of NERV, the city streets, the bar that Misato, Ritsuko, and Kaji go to, they all matched up perfectly with how I envisioned what the world was like when I was a very young child, and that struck me. It made me feel the same way I felt going to church as a child, like there was something fantastical and supernatural about it, which now that I think about it, is scarily close to the show's premise. I got through the first 2 episodes on Kissanime (damn you, King Records), and was hooked.

Also, that CN broadcast version sounds hilarious, anyone know where I can find it?
https://youtu.be/dxfiwLxuZDo

Josdavi/Armisrael
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Josdavi/Armisrael » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Watching first at Animax LA, it was in 2008.
I remember that the first episode that I saw was about the angel in the magma, I still remember the quote of Asuka about thermal expansion ^_^

Then I decided to watch the entire serie on Youtube in spanish/latino, in that time you could watch anything without the problem about copyright.

-
Hi, this is my first post. Glad to be here :D
sorry about my english, my native language is spanish.
http://www.insubstancial.blogspot.com
Life is insubstantial,
but the joy about this is to make an artificial cause to live till the end.

https://josdavi94.deviantart.com/

Eva-02 | Asuka
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva-02 | Asuka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Few years ago. Around my apartment. I found this magazine on the ground. It was EVA-01. I couldn't understand so I asked my friend at school. He said it was Evangelion. So I decided to watch it all in 1 day. Even the End of Evangelion. I understood it all.

And I even watched the Rebuild movies. 1-3. Maybe it was a mistake watching the 3rd one but the CG is perfect. Hopefully 3.0+1.0 comes in a few months.
Pathetic.
I know all about your little jerk-off fantasies about me. Go ahead, and do it like you always do... I'll even stand here and watch you. But... if I can't have you all to myself, then I don't want ANYTHING from you.

Oh and add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/thot_patrol/

jigokushojo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jigokushojo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 pm

I'd heard of the series but didn't see it until 2004, when I was pregnant with my daughter I had to be in bedrest and a friend loaned me the DVD series to watch. I watched it all the way through at least 4 times! Even had some really weird dreams about it.

I also watched all of Buffy, so the baby being a girl her name was a toss-up between Rei and Willow.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”