How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kouzou
Banned

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Kouzou » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:59 am

I was 16 and saw the episode where Shinji lays next to Asuka and almost kisses her on my friends tv at his house. Then I started watching it on Cartoon Network and re-watched it periodically over the years, especially the first 2 years I knew of it. I have seen EoE and the series over a dozen times total, and after a few years, fresh out of the Army, re-watched it all again then the 3rd movie when it FINALLY came in the mail(dang dub delays lol). So I am right at about my 10th or so anniversary of loving Eva lol
Yui Ikari: Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.
Kouzou Fuyutsuki: When Man created Evangelion, were we trying to create a clone of God?Yui Ikari: Of course. Humans can only exist on this Earth. But the Evangelion will be able to exist forever, along with the human soul that dwells within it. When the Earth, the Moon and the Sun are all gone, EVA will exist, so long as one person remains. It'll be lonely, but as long as one person still lives...Kouzou Fuyutsuki: ...it will be eternal proof that Mankind ever existed.

Valikdu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Valikdu » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:06 pm

I was told to get into the fucking robot.

I'd watched the reviews of Rebuild 1.0 and 2.0 by SciFiDebris, about 2 years ago; that was his first anime review, and he'd tentatively recommended the films. That compelled me to watch them. After that, as per my custom, I'd started to read lots and lots of fanfics of the thing I'd watched.

That was also the first anime I'd watched, after which I hadn't watched any until last week. I got interested in Blue Steel because of the weird ships in World of Warships, and also in Monster Musume because the discussions about X-Com inevitably brought up "that snake girl", so I've just watched these. I'll probably watch more.
Maker of large-scale Dwarf Fortress modifications.

August 13 update: Desolation 1.5 - Attack on Urist!

Asuka Shikinami Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Shikinami Langley » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:21 am

Ironically I watched it when it first came out on tv in the 90's XD

but once they took it out of air, i kinda forgot about it

til they remade the movies. But I been hooked since day 1.

marted
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby marted » Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 am

I first got into Evangelion in middle school. Some of my friends were talking about it and I had heard a bit about it online. At first I had written it off as some 2deep4u nonsense, but then I saw some clips of it and was like, "hey this looks pretty cool" so I stuck it on my watch list and let it sit there for about a month. Then I accidentally got spoiled about Rei being a clone of Shinji's mom and decided that I had better watch it before anything else got spoiled for me. I believe I first watched 1.11 and i might have watched 2.22 as well, though i don't really remember. Then I decided that I might as well watch the original. The first half kinda bored me, though that may have been because I had already watch part of the rebuild, but the second half completely blew me away. Even though I had absolutely no understanding of the plot I could really feel the emotions flowing in the epic moments of despair and triumph, and I had a decent sort of understanding of the theme, seeing as Anno basically beats you over the head with it in the finale. After that I didn't really think of it all that much except to occasionally explain to people why the "Shinji is a bitch" meme is bullshit (did you even watch episode 19!? ugh). Then a year ago I read some analyses and rewatched a few episodes before finding out about the manga which I read in its entirety. And then just recently I found myself thinking a lot of existential thoughts, and I would keep noticing that a lot of the things I was thinking could be connected to Eva, so I rewatched it and found that for the first time I really got it. So now I'm here making this post.

Squishy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Squishy » Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 pm

It was early 2010. I was twelve, nearly thirteen. My brother, who is two years older, and I were starting to get really into anime. He just shows me this "really awesome" anime, Eva. I think he just pulled me in during episode 13. I remember thinking Ritsuko sort of reminded me of my Mom (she looks a bit like her and is also a computer geek). For a while I was uninterested. I went off to read Warriors or something. He kept pulling me back in every couple of episodes, and then he showed me eoe. I was scarred. I'd never seen anything like it. A few months later I found myself remembering it and looking up it. Then just like that, I just fell in love with it. I went right into my brother's room and said "We're watching Evangelion again. All of it." And the rest of it is history.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Re: SURVEY: How and when did you get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun May 15, 2016 8:13 am

Back in 5th grade, i was on a massive kaiju kick that lasted for years. One day, my got my hands on ADV's VHS of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. Before the movie, they had a couple of anime trailers, and one was for NGE. The sheer weirdness of the visual design stuck in my head forevermore, and once I hit my teens, in which I was finally old enough to buy things without supervision, one summer I went and bought the DVDs of the DC episodes, and was floored.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun May 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Another victim, taken before their prime!

;)
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Kreatone
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kreatone » Wed May 25, 2016 1:10 pm

I remember it vividly. Back in 1997 when I was just a kid I used to spend a huge amount of time watching a TV channel notorious for showing a lot of anime considered obscure at the time, by that I mean things other than DBZ or Saint Seiya, and I recall the ad for Evangelion coming on with Beethoven's 9th Symphony playing with it, I was instantly hooked and coicidentally discovered my love for Beethoven. I didn't understand immediately what I was watching at such a young age but as I grew I got more and more into it and have watched and rewatched it many times over.
Free is not free from feelings, but free to feel each one and let it move on, unafraid of the movement of life.

It's hard for a fanatic to admit a mistake. What would the point of being one then be? You're always right.

Toasterman
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toasterman » Wed May 25, 2016 11:21 pm

I was in sixth grade. A friend of mine bought the entire series on DVD after seeing an ad for it in NewtypeUSA or some other anime magazine. Rei was on the cover and the article had a review of Manga's release of EoE. The first thing he showed me from the show was the Bardiel conflict, and, being a kid raised on Gundam, my first reaction was very simple: "Whoa, the robots BLEED? That's awesome!"

I can confidently say that though I come from a perfectly fine, middle-class upbringing where there were no broken elements that needed replacing, Evangelion still did more to raise me than some family members. I remember getting detention in sixth or seventh grade for being on EvaMonkey.com at school, and I still have handwritten fanfic from before I could spell "Fuyutski" properly. (I'll have you know that Sub-Commander Futsky was a good man and he fought hard against Godzilla in each and every chapter.)

More seriously, as I grew older the show stuck with me. That friend I had over ten years ago is still my closest friend, and we still use Eva as a daily frame of reference. Evangelion taught me how stories are told, and that mixing traditional genre with interesting, counter-intuitive character archetypes produces interesting results. It taught me that life sucks and sometimes it or you will knock you on your ass, but that the heroism and beauty in existence resides in getting back up and moving forward, and it taught me that pain makes life worth living. In the intervening decade that I've been watching and interacting with the show, I've learned to see it different ways. I find it's grown with me, and that characters I used to write off as superfluous have come to resonate more as I've become closer in age to them. I've come to see Eva as a remarkable piece of art that invites projection and incentivizes interaction in a way that even good therapy can't replicate.

And the robots BLEED, too, which is very metal.

I love this show. Another guy said it best, so I'll quote him here with apologies for not imbedding his post: "Every day I think of my friends and my parents, my future, and the women I love and used to love, and I think about Evangelion."
#ADV4Lyfe
#HitEmAgain
#PointBlankShithead

niteowl02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby niteowl02 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:41 pm

in 2013 i was dating a girl who was really into eva, so she got me into it.
now we're broken up, and i'm way more of an eva geek than she ever will be!
dammit laurie, that's the flamethrower.

NightEva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NightEva » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Funimation uploaded a clip for 2.22 on youtube in 2011 and I clicked it cause the thumbnail was Asuka (and I thought she was hot) and ended up watching 2.22 and people were saying the original series was better so I thought I'd checked that out, I had no idea what I was getting myself into but loved it ever since.

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 am

It was like 9 years ago, a friend of mine invited us to his home after school, on his room he had a bunch of eva figures like Rei, Asuka and other characters, so i asked him "from what series are they?" he told me evangelion and he started to tell everything that he knew about the show (no spoilers btw! c:) and i was amazed by it, so when i got back from my friend's home i searched on internet and eventually found it and loved it (altought there where some parts that scared me) years after i watched the rebuilds and so on until today that i watch the series/movies now and then.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:19 pm

It was the first anime I ever watched back in 2001, then it slipped off my radar for many years, it was the new movies that rekindled my passion and I brought the whole manga series and re-watched the original series all over again :D
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:05 pm

I mostly look for good anime by myself.

At the time, I started Evangelion, I rewatched Paranoia Agent (At the time, my favorite anime of all time) and decided to start watching anime again. I saw stuff about Evangelion and how it was a philisophical mind fuck that will scar you.

I couldn't resist.

I watched the first episode and wanted to watch more. By the time I got to the episode where Asuka was introduced I binge-watched 2 sets of episodes at different times. Episodes 9-22 (In half a day, and a completely sleepless night excited by everything I was seeing) and the next weekend, I watched the last four episodes and the EoE. The moment I finished EoE, I laid down on my bed, closed my exhausted eyes, and said thank you, because I felt complete now that I've finished it.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 am

I remember walking down the isles of Best Buy in the early 2000's to see Evangelion with the big "GREATEST ANIME OF ALL TIME" sticker slapped on the box set by ADV and it honestly turning me away from the series more than anything! "How can it claim to be the best?" "Well, none of my friends at school talk about it!" Seriously, I was being a little bit of a silly counter culture type just from the sticker! A friend of mine who we regularly traded dvds with though let me borrow her evangelion dvds for some set of mine, perhaps saiyuki? that was a popular loaner, and well the rest as they say is history!

NONAME
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NONAME » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:58 pm

When I was 14 years old, I went to an anime convention and they were projecting a fight. Later I made a research and found how praised the series was and its masterpiece status, so I decided to watch the first episode. At that time I didn't like it, I remember somehow it bored me so I desisted (At that time I was pretty much in animes like Naruto, OP, Bleach... Guess you can't blame me at all).

And recently, I've been interested in more 'serious' anime, so I decided it was finally the time to watch it again, and to my surprise, this time I got hooked since the beginning. This anime really have had an impact on me. I've watched it 4 times in this two months and each time it really feels like the first time, and I discover new things. I also love the fact that I can relate to almost all the characters. It's simply wonderful.
Morning... The start of today... The start of an unpleasant day... I don't like it.

Tatsuya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tatsuya » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Well, it all started in 2007. I was 11 years old with little to know about the world at the time, so i didnt really understand evangelion all that well. i honestly discovered it as a AMV with Mien Herz Brennt by Rammstein playing in the background. (link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25dJTc9LekI) and that was the end of it, 2008-09 rolls around, and i was at Blockbuster with my freinds and had 50$ in my pocket (I used to sell beyblades for 10$) and i found an anime magazine with Evangelion 1.11 on the cover, so I read up on it and that was that, 09-10 rolls by and 2.22 finally comes out a couple months out of the release date a subbed version of 2.22 comes out in 10 parts and I watch it all the way up to when Kaji takes the kids on the field trip to the aquarium. I honestly have a very short attention span and probably got into something else. by 10-11 the dubbed version of 2.22 finally comes out and they announce it. wasn't really paying attention at the time so i just blew it off. in June of 2012 on a saturday morning looking up anime related thins i came across this video titled "A Full Movie Of Something Great." I watched it. What i watched was the dubbed version of 2.22 and it was the best anime movie i have ever watched.
I WAS SO HYPED WHEN Shinji PULLED Rei OUT OF THE GODDAMN ANGEL I JUMPED UP AND STARTED SCREAMING GO Shinji BEAT THAT MOTHERFUCKERS HEAD IN!!. I will always and forever be an eva fan! AND YES I DID WATCH THE SERIES AND I LOVED THAT TOO!!
You laugh at me because i am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same - Johnathan Davis
I pride myself on being a jerk, because I'm brutally honest all the time.-C.M Punk
I would rather be hated for what i am than loved for what i'm not. -Kurt Cobain

dontaskme
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dontaskme » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:19 am

After watching Serial experiments lain and naoki urasawa's monster two years back, I was recommended by a friend to watch the evangelion tv series. I was hooked within the first five episodes and then binge watched the whole series in a day. After that I bought the theatrical versions (slightly disappointed) and started trying to get involved in the fandom.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:46 am

Well I see that GoatJesus analyzed it,Demolition D comparing the Original Eva with the Rebuilds and always listening to that kick-ass opening and I wanted to watch it.
Last edited by Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:15 am

Well, first I got my first cable TV with foreign channels, yet in previous century. Then, while zapping, I came by chance to this clip of Vamdue Project with excerpts from GitS and in that very moment my whole world revolved. You see, we have such saying here that manga is a thing you can love or hate, with middle excluded, and I was a hater of course, because seriously, neither G Force nor Maya the Honeybee are masterpieces of animation. So I found that German music channel VIVA airing anime shows before midnight and Eva was the second thing I watched, completely lacking of any understanding of what is spoken onscreen. I was only surprised that the show was terminated early; I seriously thought that eps 25 & 26 are only interlude before the grand finale.
JUSTICE & MERCY

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”