How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:23 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I was a latecomer to the EVA fandom,

Not really - I was 63.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 pm

I didn't mean age-wise. I meant that I didn't start watching it until years after the show initially aired.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:25 am

I know Evangelion almost two Years now.

It happened out of small interest when I stumbled on a few sites where it was metioned. I started to watch some reviews and looked through Wikipediea carefully without getting spoiled. Then I read some doujinshis about Asuka and it just happened that I started to watch Evangelion around end of November/beginning of December 2013 and since then it doesn't let me go.

I watched NGE and EoE ten times and Rebuild eight times so far.

The second time, I watched together with my mom and even she is convinced from Evangelion just as I am, though I'll show her the Rebuild movies only when they are complete.

Since early 2014 I singed in here to the Evageeks forum.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:22 pm

I first saw Neon Genesis Evangelion on the first version of the English release of the episodes. That's when they came two episodes at a time on those weird white VHS tapes. This was back in '99 and I, being only 10 years old at the time, only had limited exposure to anime: namely random bits of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball and then a helleva ton of Pokemon throughout the year prior....Needless to say, my mind was blown and I haven't really been able to let it go since (there's a lot more about this that I'm pretty I've posted elsewhere on this site, but if any of you are curious, just ask).

Man the cover art for the VHS tapes truly are art in their own way, aren't they? :D
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Watched some episodes 15+ years ago as a kid and hated it, still italian tv sucked back then and the anime offer was dragon ball everyday all day. Which was a lot of talking for 20 minutes and it sucked, it didn't help anything else low on action and suddenly the general sentiment was all animes were lame. If it wasn't for things I found nice back then like master mosquiton, cowboy bebop, blue submarine number six and last exile I would have never given a chance to anime stuff again. But the eva designs always sticked with me and after more than ten years the series kept getting attention, given the lack of stuff I like (I'd read Nihei's and Q Hayashida's stuff all day long but there isn't much) it was inevitable to meet NTE and the tv series again.

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:44 pm

My fan street cred goes all the way back to at least 1991, when I attended the one and only AnimeCon in Santa Clara. That was the convention sponsored by GAINAX and the UC Berkely anime club and basically the seedling that started nearly all of what we enjoy today as otakus.

That being said, I actually didn't see EVA until 1999 when the DVD release came out. I was married by then and had sort of shifted my anime viewing to lighter fare (wife was a big fan of Tenchi Muyou and Cityhunter) but I had know about EVA because of watching Gunbuster and Nadia at AnimeCon and owning the VHS tapes to same. So one night in between getting Pokeman videos for my daughter I rented the first DVD. Somehow after that my life completely changed.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

nadavkra
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nadavkra » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 am

Back to 2000 (I was just seven at that time) I'd see features about NGE on anime/manga-related magazines. Then in 2002 I got the fourth edition of the manga, although I didn't have the chance to follow it (and it was probably a lot for a 9-year old kid to fully appreciate) and finally some years later (maybe 2009 or '10) I'd get the series on DVD. But just recently I got really obsessed with it.
if the music is loud we won't hear the sound of the world falling apart

SilverHades
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SilverHades » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:36 pm

I came across Condoriano's 'MvM Wars' Video which was heavily influenced from Evangelion's fight against Sahaquiel. I was pretty intrigued by what it took from, searched Evangelion up, and here I am.

And...now Evangelion is one of my favourite animes :lol:
The wait for Evangelion: Final is too high.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:40 am

View Original Postnadavkra wrote:Back to 2000 (I was just seven at that time) I'd see features about NGE on anime/manga-related magazines. Then in 2002 I got the fourth edition of the manga, although I didn't have the chance to follow it (and it was probably a lot for a 9-year old kid to fully appreciate) and finally some years later (maybe 2009 or '10) I'd get the series on DVD. But just recently I got really obsessed with it.

My time frame is pretty similar early on - back in 2000/2001, we rented the first volume of the Perfect Collection from the local-and-very-much-in-business Blockbuster; this spurred my stepsister into obtaining the complete PC, which I watched with unparalleled interest and enthusiasm. Shortly afterward, I watched EoE for the first time and was left both crying and hopelessly hooked - I've been a pretty consistently hardline Eva fan since around nine or ten. It wouldn't be until much later, upon subsequent rewatches over the years, that bits and pieces that didn't click fell into place (from why "even the Devil can cry", or more rather, that Asuka isn't just a bitch at face value, to Yui's statement about the will to live and whatall, which I argued with said stepsister about at first as being either horseshit or director-sourced copout for the obvious downer ending).

NTE was kind of disappointing, being rather visually enhanced but lacking in substance, a conclusion supported by my peers at the time, who had taken to watching it with me because I managed to draw their interest into Evangelion not much prior. Still, to this day, many of the personal wham moments still have much the same impact they did so long ago (unfortunately, Rei still has to die...then live...only to die again. Thanks, Shinji - both times, I might add...), and that speaks more about the character of the original series than any other singular factor - that it consistently hits home after so long.

Shit, I went on a tangent, didn't I?
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Gendo's New Groove
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's New Groove » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:28 pm

It's only been a year and a half since I've been a fan and I don't even remember. I think it was either because I saw Kill la Kill and looked into what Trigger/Gainax had done before, or I might have just seen a parody video and looked it up from there.
All is not right, God is not in his heaven.

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 am

I started with the secret of blue water which ran on RTL2 than i used the web and ended up at http://thesecretofbluewater.com/nadieva-i.htm where they have been referring to NGE, than I used the good old eDonkey2000 to get the NGE episodes and watched them and the rest is as you say history.
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

Moap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Moap » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 pm

One of my childhood friends had an older brother who was extremely into NGE, but he told us we were too young to understand the story. Regardless I know I saw scenes of Death and Rebirth along with reading a few manga with said friend. I wouldn't really think about it again until I was a few years older and one of my adult friends kept mentioning it as his favorite, after I grew out of disliking anime because it's anime I gave it a watch. Initially I thought it was good, but it wasn't until I had re-watched the show around three times that it became my favorite. The more I watch NGE, the more I watch and love NGE.

FilthyCasual
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FilthyCasual » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:08 am

I am going to try to keep this short, although I feel like I can go on for a long time...

I don't really watch anime for the most part, but through a serious of random occurences, I felt like I should watch this series...

It feels like one of the best things or worst things to happen to me. DONT ever binge watch something like this and not having someone to talk about it with. I have been stewing at my job and not been able to keep focus past couple days.

After seeing the last half of EoE yesterday ... When that song starts... I just lost it. I saw myself and it depressed me heavily, it's been weighing on my mind since. It was one of the most beautiful yet terrifying things I've watched. It made me realize I've basically put a wall up for so long that I don't even know what I'm doing anymore or how to live. I'm not suicidal or anything... but I've been sleepwalking through life since I was a child. I'm a 28 college dropout with a nowhere fulltime job making no money and I have pushed out all my friends and family out of my life. I literally just go to work, get home, get high and play games, go to sleep without enough hours of rest and repeat. Again I can go on for a while but I'll stop. I do want to make a point however, that I pretty much never blog, write or even think about this stuff. This is probably the longest post I've made on an internet forum in yeeeeears.

It's rare that film/tv/whatever visual medium makes me feel something. I've seen great live action TV dramas that do that. It's even more rare, however, when it makes me go deep down, down the layers that make you who you are. Down to that forever lonely emptiness place that no one else can ever really know but yourself and FORCE me to look into that abyss. I've been holding in thoughts and emotions for so long, that looking down that abyss is starting to bring those old angsty feelings back (which I never resolved but pushed away).

I know I might seem angsty, pretentious and incoherent.. but It's hard to assess all the things in my head right now. I need a week to sleep on this...

TL;DR I thought I was getting myself into some generic mecha anime, what I got is an emotional mindfuck that has been messing with me.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Congratulations!

We've all been where you are now, reeling from Anno's emotional bludgeoning.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Most maybe, but not all. I guess I was sufficiently together by the time I encountered Eva about six years ago that I was spared that effect. But I still appreciated the possibility of it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 am

I've been meaning to post here for a little while now, and since this is the time of year I first got into Eva three years ago(I'm a noooob) I figured now's as good a time as any to get my story down, though it's probably very similar to a lot of y'alls and not too terribly interesting. I pretty much just want to get it off my chest.

So, I think I first heard of NGE in 2003 when I went with a friend of mine and his mother to some library to watch this guy talk about this book he wrote about anime. The guy was pretty into the series, and pretty much got me and my buds interested in it too. The guy may have even shown the scene of Kaji and Shinji in Episode 19, but that may have been something my brain just made up. Anyway, we were all pretty much "We've gotta see this Evanjellion," and we'd talk about how the show is supposed to contain all of these Bible references and all that crap. But, alas, none of us had the funds or the resources to buy the dvds, so the series took on this mythical and mysterious role in my brain and, without even seeing it, I'd already considered it a masterwork. It was all very strange. (Kinda funny side note; in the summer of 2003 one of my better friends at the time rented either a copy of D+R or EoE[without seeing NGE, of course] and told me how there's this scene where the girl who pilots the red robot talks about how she doesn't want to die and then goes about crazily destroying these other robots. He was pretty disturbed by the whole thing, and years later, after I watched EoE I'd wonder why he chose that scene to be affected by.) So later in 2003 or early 2004 my mother bought me the first four episodes on dvd, and all I can really remember about the viewing experience was that, a. I didn't like that Shinji didn't want to pilot Shogouki, b. That I didn't like Episode 04 and found it bland. c. I was mad only one Eva showed up and d. That the chances of me actually acquiring the rest of the dvds in any decent time frame were not very good, so I figured that I'd just wait for it to be on Adult Swim. And then it was. And then I missed it. Which actually turned out to be a good thing. Life is nice and mysterious! So, there the dvd sat on my crappy dvd case, gathering dust. From time to time I'd look at it and think, "Oh yea, Evanjellion. That was some weird shit."

Fast forward to December 2012 and I was at a pretty low point in my life. I'd graduated from college at just about the time I'd started to enjoy it and get something out of it. I didn't have a job or prospects. I didn't have a girlfriend or prospects. My friends had moved away or I'd alienated them or they were in pretty seriously relationships. I was sick of forcing myself to read books I didn't really enjoy, and listening to boring music. I'd go to bars I disliked with people I disliked and attempt to get drunk on watered down whsky and cokes, and then I'd go home and lie in bed and be angry. I'd stare off into space and worry about a future that I couldn't control. I wasn't depressed like you'd see in a commercial, where I'd lay on a couch and cry all day, but there was something seriously missing in my life. It was so dull and lifeless.

I'd sit in my room around nine at night and wonder how I was supposed to spend the next four hours. So I started watching dvds at night to quell the boredom and on a Wednesday night I decided I may as well watch the first four episodes of NGE. By the time Episode 04 was over I was just like, "Shit. So that's what that guy was saying about Eva ten years ago. I wouldn't get in the Eva either! Shinji rides trains and listens to music, I ride trains and listen to music!" The day after that I was just so happening to visit my friend who lived near a place that sold used dvds and I just so happened to get a copy of the Platinum Collection for about $45, which may have been just the luckiest moment of my life. When I got to my friends place I remember taking the dvds out and thinking, "wow, I've finally got all of NGE in my hands"(how ignorant I was) After ten years I can finally see how this thing plays out!" And then getting home that night and watching Episode 05 and seeing the Zerogouki activation test and the first appearance of Ramiel(an Angel can look like that?!) And the next few days I went through the series at a pretty decent pace and really dug it, but and I was quite disappointed when Episodes 25 and 26 ended up being what they were. I figured that the series would end with some epic fight between Shinji and the final ultimate Angel(haha) and when that didn't happen I felt pretty left down.(Side note; the year and a half prior to watching NGE I read a ton of novels, most of which didn't have happy endings. I'd actually sort of forgotten they even existed. So why I thought Eva would is a tad strange). But wait, turns out they remade Episodes 25 and 26 in EoE, so of course these would contain the epic last Eva fight. Then I watched the hospital scene, and since I'd seen so much of myself in Shinji and was so damn emotionally invested in this thing, I was torn apart. I had the hardest time concentrating on the rest of EoE(which is hard enough for a first time viewer) and I felt so let down and so terrible for the rest of the day. I couldn't even believe that this fictional story had so much of an affect on me. I felt very strange, indeed. So for the rest of December I tried not to think too much about Eva and figured it'd just be something else I watched once and sorta liked.

And after about a month post my EoE letdown I started to remember that that Evangelion thing was actually pretty cool. One Friday night(alone, haha!) I was looking up random things online and found an article on the Evawiki about the Red Cross Book(could I have been looking up LCL for some strange reason??) and the next day I rewatched Episode 19 and loved it, and the next day I watched Episode 18 and Jo and Ha and loved those, and the next thing I knew I was rewatching the series and reading the Theory and Analysis pages on the wiki one by one and when I was through with those I read the articles for all the episodes, and then whatever other random things the wiki included and I was in total love.

Everything in 2013 was Eva for me. Eva Eva Eva. All Eva, all the time. I couldn't concentrate on anything because I was too busy thinking about the bridge bunnies or Shinji's SDAT. I was telling my friends, "this Eva thing is seriously good. You've got to watch it."(None ever did) When I went to sleep I dreamt about Eva and when I woke up I'd watch an episode of it. I'd go out and have a lousy time at the bar and I'd ride the train home and think, "eh, it's not so bad, I can watch Episode 22 when I get home." I'd find random moments in a conversation to bring up some Eva, like how beautiful it was that the pilot's mother's soul was inside the robot. I was nuts. When people talked about something they liked I wanted to throw my arm around them and say, "I know what you mean, I feel the same way about Eva." I wasn't afraid or ashamed of being alone because I had Eva. I taught myself how to sew because I wanted to put a Nerv patch on my bookbag. EoE, which had so scarred me just a few months before had become my favorite film. I was going crazy not having anyone to talk to it about in real life so I joined EGF. And when I actually had a real life face to face conversation with someone who'd seen the series it made my day. And I rewatched the series and the movies again and again and again and I was very very very happy. And Eva showed me that there were all kinds of things in the world that can make me happy, and I became a lot more accepting of people and new things and the world became a much more enjoyable place. Life's not perfect or anything, but Eva gave me something great when I needed it.

I don't watch the series daily anymore, and I learned to not bring up the series to people who weren't interested, but my feelings for it haven't ebbed one bit, and I doubt they ever will. I'm Eva mad. Every single day I'm alive I think about my parents, and my best friends, and girls I love and used to love, and I think about Eva.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

randommixer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby randommixer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:14 pm

First post here, woo...

I discovered Evangelion while looking at Gainax's TV Tropes page. Since the series held such a substantial role in the company's history, I was interested in learning a bit about it. So I did what any other troper would do and threw a tab to the side for later only to ultimately forget about it while doing something else.

A month or so later I woke up one night and decided to see what was on Adult Swim. I had jumped into the middle of a movie I didn't really understand, but was nonetheless interested in. This film turned out to be Evangelion: You are (not) Alone. After seeing the movie half sleep I forgot it's name and was disappointed. Then I start recognizing the giant purple robot on the internet and realized that what I had previously searched on TV Tropes for, Evangelion, was the movie I saw. On to secret Netflix to watch Evangelion: You are (not) alone.

From there I began on a journey watching the Rebuild series, the original series, and looking into spin-off material. All of this took place when I was sophomore in high school three years ago.
Last edited by randommixer on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:33 pm

^Wow what a similar story to mine. The summer before Sophomore year is when I got into Eva.

By this summer it would've been 2 years ago now.(Holy Crap).
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Negi Springfield
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Negi Springfield » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:29 pm

I don't think I've talked about this, either on this website or anywhere else. Here goes nothing. I think I got into Neon Genesis Evangelion in my move from stuff like Dragonball to more "complex" stuff. I'd also discovered the website 4chan and hung out on /a/ a lot. Just browsing that board got me a lot of great anime and manga experiences. A lot of the people who would post about Eva were ok, but some were a bit more annoying than others. There were two kinds of annoying people - deepfags and people who attacked others for being them. Most of the people who enjoyed a bit of analysis of Eva did it in a casual way. No discussing the subject as if it was for a Uni class or something*. The rest of the fans pretty much would get stuck between those two camps. That made every Eva thread a minefield to be navigated with care and caution. Also a lot of people got into full blown shitfits about who was the best Eva girl - Rei or Asuka. That was another cause for damn near civil war every time a thread was made. Shinji hate. That was the least of the problems, but it was still annoying to see people not understand his character.

*Speaking of that, I do know people might have actually done that. It's just a metaphor.
Fly me to the moon...

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Reminds me of when i was apart of Eva's Reddit page
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”