How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:17 am

I saw the first two episodes of Eva when they were aired on Cartoon Network during Toonami. (Gotta love Misato's 50 gallons of 'root' beer and how she wears a bathing suit in a bath tub.) After that I borrowed the box set and movies from a friend.

[edit]Anyone know if the first two episodes were aired more than once on CN?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:41 am

I was just starting to get into anime, and a friend of mine who had been watching anime for awhile suggested Evangelion.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:47 am

I had heard praise from several different internet sources, and decided to look into it. The only DVD that I could actually find was the End of Evangelion, so I bought it, watched it, and instantly realized what all the praise was for, even though I had no clue as to what was going on storywise. I simply knew it was unlike any anime I had seen before, and even without any prior knowledge of the characters, I already cared for them. Then, after watching the rest of the series, and countless hours on the internet, the story finally made (almost) complete sense.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

x1shinji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby x1shinji » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 am

i went to a anime convenstion is australia like 6 years ago, and saw a fresh posters of unit1/Shinji/Asuka/Rei so i brought a few posters, then brought all vhs, now box set dvd :) and renewal on the way :)

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:59 am

Well, around four years ago, I was I about a year into my anime interest. During this year I had heard a lot about Evangelion and wondered what all the fuss was about. So, I went to BlockBuster and rented the first VHS. I was amazed. Even in its dubbed incarnation, I was hooked. About... 6 months later I finally got my hands on the box set and watched the whole show in the space of a week. Then movies followed.
Last edited by wildarmsheero on Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:55 am

I first saw Eva at the end of 2000, getting the first 2 DVDs for Christmas. I had been hearing a lot about it for about a year and a half, having been very interested in a video game called Xenogears, there were a lot of comparisons made between the two, apparantly Xenogears was a video game version of Eva. Of course what I was being told was complete and utter nonsense, but I still found Eva quite interesting as I saw the entire series and EOE over the next 6 months or so.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:06 pm

I really don't remember when I started to like Eva, but I remember it started when my best friend called me up and was like, "I just rented this awesome anime from Blockbuster! It's called Evangelion, blahblahblah..." I'm not sure whether or not I'd heard of it at the time. I think I was at least familiar with it, but whatever.

She'd rented Death and Rebirth, and so we were watching it, and I might as well have been watching someone fix a car. I had no freaking idea what the hell was going on, and my friend was trying to clue me in whenever I didn't understand something, which just made me even more confused, although at the end, I walked away with the feeling that something about that movie wasn't right, and that there was some kind of message there somewhere. And then I remembered Shinji's wank-off scene...

I don't remember how long it took for my interest to grow from there, but I saw EoE not long after that, and then I bought the Perfect Collection with my birthday money about... 3 months ago.

My best friend is the reason I'm broke all the time... -.-
Close your eyes and listen hard

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:50 pm

I bought New Type USA at suncoast because there was an article in the magazine about a video game I liked. I never was into anime at all. It seemed to me that anime was like pokemon or dragonball, which is not my thing.

I was intrigued reading the magazine and decided because of an intereting eva article, that evangelion would be the first anime i'd rent. It said eva was controversial, and I love controversey. I rented the titles over a period of a week and was blown away. Evangelion became my favorite TV series. EOE became one of my favorite movies. I bought them a few months later.

Now i'm not only an eva fan, but an anime fan too.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:10 pm

I first saw it on CN, and originally thought it was just OK (edited versions are rarely a good indicator as to how good a series can be). Then one day on one of my money depleting stroles through Bestbuy, I decided to get the perfect collection just to see how the series ended out. I ended up watching the entire series over 2 days and got the movies right after that. I have been fan ever since.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:07 pm

I just buil myself a new computer and having just finished bebop i began searching for good anime. I can not tell you how much crud i had to dl before i found ep 1 or this show with an odd sounding name " Evangelion ". The rest is history.

on a side note im still looking for mre good anime sifting through crud is hard but every so often i find somthing worth wile like eva.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:23 pm

For my sixteenth birthday, one of my friends gave me dubbed a copy of Black Lion. It was the first anime title I owned, and the first ADV title as well. On the tape was a preview of Evangelion. I thought it looked like a bad ass "mechs beating the drap out of each other!" anime, so I bought a couple tapes of it. It wasn't what I was expecting, and I wasn't sure whether or not to keep collecting. For some reason I did, and about a year later I finished the series, an avid fan.

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:36 pm

Ummmm...basically I kidnapped EM's vhs tapes of eva one weekend, and watched the entire series within two days (which is quite a rare thing for me to do).

Afterward, I was quite puzzled at what I just watched...Acid trip? Rollercoaster ride? Visual brain freeze? Whatever it was...I liked it. :D

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:36 pm

I got into Evangelion through Wildarms, he bought the first DVD and I watched them from there.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:22 am

When I first moved to DC, I worked as a manager at a movie theater. One of the other managers, Alex, did a lot of video rental dubbing, or would tape shows off of a horrendous cable signal (think worse than fansub quality and date that quality by four years). I had been watching Dragonball Z throughout grad school just to stay sane, and Alex had a ton of it, and would give me tapes. Somewhere in there, he gave me a few other shows, and one of them was Evangelion. It must have been a 5th or 6th gen copy, but I watched it anyway. It blew me away.
Done. Guarding.

MantiCore
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MantiCore » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:20 am

Back in late 96' a friend of mine sent me a RAW vhs copy of Evangelion (he recorded it from a TV broadcast). I didn't understand a damn word being said, but enjoyed the first two episodes immensely. I looked around on the then-primitive internet and got a hookup in China to send me the entire series on VCD. Though some of the translation was sketchy, I was in love with Eva. Since then i've picked up every DVD edition of Evangelion put out on R1 dvd(current entire series rewatch count as of today: 44).

dennisud
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dennisud » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 pm

Oddly enough it was a search for Tsunami pics under the head "blue-haired girl" that brought up a pic of Rei with her injuries after the 3rd angel attack that got me curious. I asked others bouyt this pic and got the title and then I started by buying that first DVD (BTW That was my first DVD that I ever bought, had vhs before) even before i had a DVD player. :shock:

Got the player 2 months later and the restas they say is history!
And to clarify I have equal admiration of all three children as those who have read my stories can see!
dennisud

History repeats itself, especially for those who don't learn from it! Hence the name "Butt head!" Hehehehehehe!!

http://www.geocities.com/dennisud2015/

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:07 pm

I First saw Eva on Cartoon network , it seemed interesting at the time. But I have not been able to stop watching it since I saw that first time.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:12 pm

so people reccomended it to me, watched it mid january early febuary of THIS year. and now look at :roll: :roll:
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:22 pm

I know this is abit off topic , but TheMessiah , isnt that avatar abit to revealing? i have nothing against it though
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:23 pm

no, seeing as to my knowledge were all guys, i think my avatar is quite refreshing
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”