Why did Asuka think Shinji got fired?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

Why did Asuka think Shinji got fired?

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:52 am

When Shinji discovers that Asuka has moved in with him and Misato in episode 9, she tells him he got fired that same day. She even says "didn't you get the memo?" Then, Misato carries on and goes right into saying the two of them need to work together to defeat the angel.

Was Asuka lying to try to get him to leave so he would be permanently out of her way, or did she think their previous failure with the last angel was so obviously his fault that of course he'd be let go? What do you guys think?

RussianRiz
Adam

Re: Why did Asuka think Shinji got fired?

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:47 am

She was probably inflating the situation to seem like she was given some sort of privilege. I don't think she actually believed he was thrown out.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:54 am

^Or Misato felt that Asuka would refuse to come if she knew Shinji would still be there, so She let her think she was replacing Shinji until after she was moved in.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:34 pm

View Original PostRussianRiz wrote:She was probably inflating the situation to seem like she was given some sort of privilege. I don't think she actually believed he was thrown out.

When I first saw this scene I knew Shinji almost certainly wasn't actually fired because NERV would have to had seriously dropped the ball for him to have heard that through a peer and not a supervisor. I think Anno might have been concerned that that alone wouldn't be enough to reassure people the protagonist wasn't getting the boot, because in the previous scene Ritsuko is telling Misato about how she's lucky Fuyutsuki was in charge that day because he's more leinent about firing people than Commander Ikari.

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:^Or Misato felt that Asuka would refuse to come if she knew Shinji would still be there, so She let her think she was replacing Shinji until after she was moved in.

Yeah, let's keep in mind that Misato didn't tell Shinji about her other roomate Pen Pen ahead of time. So yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable for her to have done that again to Asuka.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:31 am

I think that, due to her ego, when she got to the apartment she saw Shinji's stuff and just assumed that her moving in meant he had been fired. In her mind, there was no way Misato could expect her to live together with someone she regarded as inferior.
[Redacted]

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”