The Prisoner (1967) and Evangelion

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Kicksville
Embryo

The Prisoner (1967) and Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Kicksville » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:55 pm

I recently finished watching The Prisoner and recalled it had at times been compared to Evangelion, and cited as a possible inspiration, or at least possibly referenced. The only place I can still find mentioning this in detail is this old thread (which I assume bumping would be considered poor manners):

thread/5997/Yeah-I-Just-Finished-Watching-The-Prisoner/

The common comparisons are to the two part finale, which is controversial for being pretty out there and doesn't fully explain the show's mysteries, and the somewhat Angel-like qualities of the automatic enforcement balloon called "Rover".

I'm tempted to perhaps do a rundown of the show featuring possible reference points, however, I don't know if someone has already done this and I simply have failed to find it. Or, maybe that kind of reference hunting is rather passé these days, I don't know. It doesn't appear on the Wiki list of tributes to other fiction (probably due to a lack of anything straightforwardly obvious or confirmed) and I've never seen anything definitively confirming Anno or anyone else involved was aware of the show to begin with.

It aired in Japan with a dub under the title Prisoner No. 6 (プリズナーNo.6) in 1969 (Wikipedia). The episode order is slightly different.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”