Eva-R -or- the Fanfic that made everybody jealous

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Eva-R -or- the Fanfic that made everybody jealous

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:17 am

Has anyone read Eva-R all the way through?

The link is [url]http://www.eva-r.com[/url]

I consider it the work of a eva loving genius with WAY to much time on his hands.
Seriously though, it's a amazing fan fiction work.

What did you like/hate about it?
What did you think of the new characters? or How the old ones were represented?
And which ending di you prefer?

Myself, I loved everything about it, and prefer eva-Prime (the 2nd) ending.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Jason
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jason » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:14 am

I really liked it. While the story had its good and bad points and much can be said either way. I, as a fellow fan fiction writer, love to see the art get such attention, love and care. Until about last week, when me and my partner finished our first fan fiction novel (Based on the seaQuest dsv tv show), I could only ever imagine the great feeling of accomplishment you get from such a grand project.
Reading R was what got me to get back into writing again after a slump and finish my work. To them I owe a great debt for that.
I thought that the characters were very well done, sometimes over the top but usually where I would have put them. Even the OCs were pretty good, although sometimes I thought the author relied on them a little bit to keep you from noticing that he was putting the real characters out past their norms.
Also, Prime was my favorite ending too :D
Feel the word and melt upon it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:34 am

As I have mentioned on numerous occassions, Eva R is simply breathtaking. I need to go through and read it again.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:04 am

I have read it all , very good . I would make it into a televsion show , its that good.

In total it adds up to about 13 mb zipped , if you store it on word . I have printed these out , it sits on my bookshelf ready to read :lol: :D
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:47 am

i spent two days reading it non-stop...good fic...i like it and the little pictures that they did where pretty good...plus the whole sub-plot with the fake angels

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:36 am

I've seen, and flipped through it. But it really didn't spark my attention. I suppose part of the reason I don't like is because it's written like a script instead of an actual book. To me that's a sign that the author is lazy, or just doesn't know what he/she is doing. I hate reading fanfictions like that because, for me they take away the "magic" of getting lost in a story. I suppose that I should read it, though.

Okay, I am prepared for the flames. God, I hope Quiddity isn't a fan or he'll/she'll (I don't know what gender Quiddity is) tear me a new one.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:17 am

Evr-R good stuff. Quality of that level is hard to find
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:31 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:I have printed these out , it sits on my bookshelf ready to read :lol: :D
I do that to a lot of fanfics actully, currently I have Higher Learning, EVA-R and a couple of other good and long ones, plus a collection of shorter oneshots.

But my favorite is still EVA-R...
That was the fic that got me into NGE fanfiction. Lyn is still a favorite character of mine and I can proudly say that I was one of the last people to catch on to the Malachi and Aoi conection. The new angels were pretty mean (Perticuarly Rogziel, the one that came out of Unit-06') And then there was the new Eva's. Unit-06 was pretty spiff and Eva-06 Prime was cool (SIX Eyes! And it could fly!) but EVA-04MARI really took the cake, man that was the high point of the last chapters (DUMMY CORE: PROGRESSIVE SCYTHE, ENGAGED)...

ImageImage

Are these things not cool?
Another really good thing about EVA-R was it's music. Maher's nifty little techno ditties and the remix of cruel angels thesis that he did were really cool.
Pretty much for anyone who hasn't read the thing: Do so right this instant!
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:51 pm

Eva R was a big step for me as a fan.

I loved it.

However, like the rest of Eva, it left me confused...
...I guess this is a good thing when you think about it.

I didn't fully understand the ending...more to the point...endings.

At last count...I think there are three?!

I'm confused and misguided...somebody help...please!

Other than that, excelent piece of writing, muchmore than a standard
"Fanfiction".
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:15 pm

The only thing I found truly amazing about Eva-R was its length. Lynn was a chore to read about, and the focus of the fanfiction on him seems inconsistent with that of the anime (since it is indeed supposed to be a continuation) in that I can't recall Shinji having as prominent a role as he would (should) have were this an official continuation. There were some events that kept me glued to my palmreader (I read most of this fic in Hawaii, missing out on most of the sights), but taking its entirety into account, it resembles, to me at least, a massive and beautiful truck that slowly veers off the road. The first ending was gravely disappointing, and the second... well... perhaps I should read it again, because I have absolutely no recollection of what Prime was or tried to be about. Also, I had something of a problem with this:

Hexon: ...

You: ...

Hexon: ...

You: ...

Hexon: ...So...

You: What's up?

Basically, my view is this: Eva-R is the most valiant effort in all of fanfiction that I have ever seen. I feel that it proposes some very interesting concepts, but the execution is only noteworthy in certain unforgettable places. It takes a long time to add anything in terms of story, and I think if it were animated by Gainax and made into the real sequel, as many seem to want, they would see the magic of reading and imagination disappear and be replaced with a plodding and sometimes very awkward experience. I have actually read this thing twice: the first time (reading through with both endings), I finished and was blown away. I didn't quite catch everything I had just read, but the experience of having completed it was enough to leave my mind quite winded. I had gotten through both fields of green and mud, but the mud was forgotten in the distance. The second time I finished it, I could only question why I was blown away the first time.

Anyway, that's my two... three cents.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:58 pm

I like that it's in script format, although I would have loved a novelized version, I can only hope, scrpit format kept up with how fast I read, so reading it was a lot like watching Evangelion. Just the images were for the most part in my head instead of on a screen.

It gave me the same kind of twinge in the back of the grey matter, the twinge I got when I first watched Shinji run naked into Misato's dining room screaming about a penguin, followed closely by the primal display that was Sachiel's destruction.

Beautiful work. I should look into printing it and putting in my bookshelf as well.

By the way, timesplitter, which one is higher learning? I haven't read that one.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:40 pm

Higher Learning is a fic by Strike Fiss. It's a classic. I have a link to it in the "Suggested Reading" Thread.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:01 pm

Okay, I am prepared for the flames. God, I hope Quiddity isn't a fan or he'll/she'll (I don't know what gender Quiddity is) tear me a new one.

No need to worry! I don't care for fanfics, either reading or writing them. Have never read a page of Eva-R and don't plan on anytime in the near future.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:46 am

:D Praise JEBUS! I'm saved! :D
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:54 am

Eva: R. The fanfic that kept me in Eva this long. I wouldn't have stuck around nearly as long if it hadn't been for fanfiction, and I wouldn't have stuck around fanfiction if it hadn't been for this work.

That said, I don't like it too much. But by the turn of the coin, I do like it quiet a bit.

I always felt that while it was well done as an overall fanwork, the actual story itself suffers. The new charecters weren't as well developed as they should have been, and at times the story seems to suffer from a lack of planning, or -- if it was intentional -- a desire to be too much like the show in feel. That is, awkward in it's pacing.

At times it was a tad melodramatic, but when it served a purpose, the drama was well conceived; at times the script format was slow, and as Hexon noted, a good word for it would be 'plodding,' and yet at other times it actually strengthened the illusion of the story tried to give: that you were reading an episode that could be an offical continuation; at times the new charecters took too much of the show as their own and ran with it, and yet at other times the original charecters were given a fresh new perspective, and this was made possible by the new charecters.

The story seemed to be eternally fighting against itself. :roll:

However, I still enjoyed it a great deal; so much so that I volunteered to act as a preliminary reader for the final episode -- which, while I had some problems with it (yeah, no big surprise there), I felt was a really strong way of "ending, without ending" the story.

...now if only I could hurry up and finish my Eva fanfiction series so I could post it. -__-;;

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:42 am

I read the whole thing through the first ending and was dissapointed. I loved some of the scenes in it like where Aoi attacks each character emotionally, but the new characters such as Lynn didn't really need to be added to the plot. It would have been better to focus on the original characters more.

The first ending was absolutely terrible. I haven't read the prime ending. I do respect the author for creating such an ambitous story. However, in the end, it's a fan fic that doesn't really add anything to the original Eva story that's worthwhile. I can't reccomend it.

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:53 pm

I personnaly loved Eva: R and R'. I haven't read the orginal ending yet though... I plan to read the whole thing over again anyway.

About the script format... we really can't blame the author for that. Back when Maher started this fic, I doubt he knew the script format was taboo. Back then (when it was started) we didn't have have all the fanfiction classics that we do now. And thus, all the taboos hadn't been placed yet. Eva fiction is steadily evolving.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:03 pm

Evr- R is cool and probly as close to a sequle that well ever see to eva, but even it was bad in places. Even if the beats the hell out of 90% of the fics i read.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:37 pm

Back when Maher started this fic, I doubt he knew the script format was taboo. Back then (when it was started) we didn't have have all the fanfiction classics that we do now. And thus, all the taboos hadn't been placed yet. Eva fiction is steadily evolving.

Be that as it may, what would really impress me would be a narrative remake; a novelization. Well, in order to make Eva-R more descriptive, that would probably take, like, six novels. But if its standing as a sequel is really all that great (which it is sometimes), then I'd say it deserves better. Of course, I don't think there's even a novelization of the original storyline. That would be something to tackle. I'd do it myself, of course, but I'm... busy... doing... stuff...

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:49 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I'd do it myself, of course, but I'm... busy... doing... stuff...
For that read:I'm to lazy
I can't blame you though, EVA-R is HUGE.
^Clicky for Evamade!

Return to “Fanfiction”