[LAEM] It's all up in the air

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:52 am

Eva dumbed to Harry potter levels?! That would be......a terrible idea,
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:20 pm

I don't see why they can't have actors around 16-20 to play the roles? I mean Andrew Garfield is playing as Spider-Man in the new movie, and Peter in the new movie is a high school student. Andrew is in his late 20's.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:35 pm

It's kind of... impossible for me to form an opinion on this without knowing who will be involved in its production. I mean, Weta Workshop are the best special effects and production design studio on the planet, but that doesn't tell me anything about the creative aspect. Of all the anime I could imagine "working" in a live-action format, Eva is decidedly near the bottom of the list; the original work was so uniquely a product of its creator and creative team, and did so many things that would be nearly impossible to equivocate in any medium other than animation, that the thought of a live-action film or films that accurately represent the content of the original series is almost literally inconceivable. If they're going to do it, they'll need a director and writers with a vision for the material as strong as Anno's vision was, and one who recognizes that the most outstanding qualities of the original work are in its characters and drama more than its mechs and action sequences.

So all that said, obviously I won't be complaining if the project ends up falling through. If they are indeed proceeding with it, however, now's as good a time as any to speculate about what creative talent we'd like to see working on the films. For a director, the first names that come to mind would have to be David Lynch and Darren Aronofsky. Both of them have a lot of experience with psychological drama and the ability to incorporate powerful imagery into their works.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:16 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:I think this project will be dead for a very long time unless someone else picks up the rights.
if anybody happens to know how much an option for said rights would be, I would like to know
I think the main trouble would be finding someone would want to direct it. Most directors might look at Eva as a cartoon and will pass on the project.
I think after finding anybody who would want to put up with the production costs, I agree this would be the biggest hurdle

most "mainstream" directors would not take it seriously or would find it very intimidating, or they would think of Evangelion as too negatively esoteric and unreasonably indecipherable or challenging in its subject matter, fan base, source material, and/or aesthetic

and I don't care what smoke Greenfield likes to keep blowing at anime cons, ADV may have been reincarnated into "SXION 23", "Seraphim Digital", "Sentai Filmworks" or whatever but the exact kind of vision (pun intended) that ADV and Weta once had for live-action Evangelion is not going to happen

Dune never went anywhere with David Lean, Arthur P. Jacobs, Alejandro Jodorowsky, or Ridley Scott as once intended, and "Spider-Man" never ultimately involved any work from Roger Corman, Golan/Globus (thank GOD, that would have been worse than Batman and Robin), Tobe Hooper, or James Cameron

I would have liked to have seen James Cameron's Spiderman though, and it is funny how similar Spiderman's development hell is to Evangelion's, what with most of the companies involved going bankrupt before anything was srsly produced

then again, I do not remember ADV producing something on par with the infamy of Wagons East!, Showgirls, or Cutthroat Island
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:28 am

If they do eventually make LAEM, I hope they don't engage in Dawson Casting. Also, they should make Rei CGI to capture the uncanny valley effect. However, preferably, they won't make LAEM at all.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 am

for the record, I think LAEM will happen, but it will not be for at least 10 or 15 years due to the prohibitive costs even for a tight budget and the lack of decent (or at least profitable) live action adaptations of anime

and at this point due to the latter, it is more likely to be adapted by a Japanese film production and not a major American studio or with production money from elsewhere around the world
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:07 am

If they do eventually make LAEM, I hope they don't engage in Dawson Casting

They might have to change some names though, especially seeing as your average western cinemagoer will hear:

http://anime.nx-studio.net/media/images/neon_genesis_evangelion/neon_genesis_evangelion_img18.jpg

but think:
http://www.savethestudent.org/uploads/grouch.jpg

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 am

Now HERE'S a film that if made I would support! (Even if the timing of their information release is at the wrong time...wish everyone the best out of the tsunami travesty)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/details_emerge_on_plot_of_guillermo_del_toros_giant_monster/

Del Toro essentially doing giant mecha vs. Cthulhu? I'm there! It would give everything I would want out of a Live Action Evangelion without being Evangelion.

Seriously- FUCK LIVE ACTION EVANGELION. It's pointless & is just another case of fanbases wanting the same product regurgitated right back into their mouths. It takes exactly zero imagination to say "Well, I'd adapt the story this way cause it works better for this format."

The reason we have only two original big budget mass entertainment feature this summer (J.J. Abram's Super 8 & Jon Favreau's Cowboys & Aliens) is because people keep paying to see tired stories regurgitated in different formats. It's made movies & Hollywood especially (not to mention my job 80% of the time) very VERY boring.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
Seriously- FUCK LIVE ACTION EVANGELION. It's pointless & is just another case of fanbases wanting the same product regurgitated right back into their mouths. It takes exactly zero imagination to say "Well, I'd adapt the story this way cause it works better for this format."

This is why I hate Anime-to-Live-Action films. NONE OF THEM ARE FAITHFUL TO THE ORIGINAL. (Speed Racer's OK, but DB Evo/Super Mario Bros. is just... terrible. ..."Monkey!")

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

I thought the Death Note movie did a okay job on being faithful. Legendary Pictures seems to love Gaint monster movies, if Pacific Rim and their Godzilla movie does well then maybe they could pick up the rights to Evangelion. Also if their Godzilla movie does well then maybe other popular Japanese series can bring in a profit as I mention a few times before.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:This is why I hate Anime-to-Live-Action films. NONE OF THEM ARE FAITHFUL TO THE ORIGINAL. (Speed Racer's OK, but DB Evo/Super Mario Bros. is just... terrible. ..."Monkey!")

Hey, hey, don't hate on the SMB movie. It was the first, after all. I'm a member of a forum devoted to the SMB film, and its webmasters have been doing a lot of research on it. The general concensus is, it could have been an excellent movie, but its directors turned it into utter tosh one way or another.

Here's the site: www.smbmovie.com

And now, back on topic, everyone.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:02 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Seriously- FUCK LIVE ACTION EVANGELION. It's pointless & is just another case of fanbases wanting the same product regurgitated right back into their mouths. It takes exactly zero imagination to say "Well, I'd adapt the story this way cause it works better for this format."

But isn't one of the points of making a movie to make money? Pretty sure this is why some people want to make the movie. Only problem is that it's gonna cost a lot of money to pump this out the way Hollywood has it in mind.

And to me, the pointless argument is nonsense. I think one of the reasons why I want LAEM isn't because of wanting to hear the story again, but I want to see how LAEM would work in a LA setting.

Keep it out of your head also that it would ruin Evangelion. The anime series will always be great even if the movie bombs.

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:This is why I hate Anime-to-Live-Action films. NONE OF THEM ARE FAITHFUL TO THE ORIGINAL. (Speed Racer's OK, but DB Evo/Super Mario Bros. is just... terrible. ..."Monkey!")

So what, a director isn't allowed to add a bit of their style to a movie? To be honest, I do think every adaptation should be required to add something new to the story or at least some sort of aspect to the concept.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 pm

The "all Hollywood adaptations of anime so far have been bad, therefore this one will be bad" argument is pretty damn poor. That's like saying that no one should have ever attempted another comic book adaptation after Batman Forever. The quality of a movie depends almost entirely on whether it is made by a talented team of individuals with a strong vision that the studio (or whoever has the money) allows them to realize. I think there's a pretty good chance that if the people behind the prospective Evangelion movie(s) were interested in a quick-and-dirty moneymaker, it would've been out by now, especially with the anime boom of the mid-2000s already subsided. That's not to say that the movie - if indeed it ever comes out - will be perfect, or even necessarily good. But I mean, geez, declaring it an outright abomination before you even know who's working on it seems a little premature, don't you think?

Also, if they do go through with it, I certainly hope they don't try and make it a direct adaptation of the TV series. That would be both redundant, since the TV series already exists, and harmful to the final product, since the TV series was very much a product of one man's vision, and any new talent would be better off following a vision of their own rather than trying to imitate someone else's.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:The "all Hollywood adaptations of anime so far have been bad, therefore this one will be bad" argument is pretty damn poor. That's like saying that no one should have ever attempted another comic book adaptation after Batman Forever.

Well, none of the Batman films are based solely on one specific DC comic. They're just taking elements from the comics that are arguably good and would seem to translate well into film and make a movie based off of that.

I think the fact that most of the live-action anime films in the past have been bad have nothing to do with it, (thought it's not left a very good track record), it's the idea behind them. Transformers was made, not because the original source material was amazing and that the filmmakers wanted to do justice to the cartoon, but because robots and sexy chicks sell tickets when placed in a field of explosions. It's because people will watch a movie titled "Airbender" no matter how boring the actual film is. It's because nobody bothered to tamper with Speed Racer's elements to make it a better film because they thought that keeping true to the original shows would be "better". It's because Evangelion doesn't have a large enough fan-base in America to justify an American studio putting the time, money and/or talent behind the film that it would deserve. And most of us here in America are starting to get a little tired of seeing stuff we've already seen before, especially when it's filmed by Micheal Bay/Zack Snyder-esque talent.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

I can understand the general cynicism directed at Hollywood studios, but again, it's kind of hard to turn those into specific criticisms when there is no announced talent for this movie (apart from Weta Workshop, which simply means that whoever does it, it will look absolutely gorgeous). Two years ago, if someone had told you Hollywood was going to make a movie about Facebook and neglected to mention who was working on it, what would you have thought? I know I would've dismissed it instantly, and in fact I continued to do so right up until I saw it. My point being, again, any criticisms of the project before we get any substantive news on it are basically just speculation. I've said before, on this thread (on this page) that I don't think Evangelion is a property that begs for a live-action treatment (in fact, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with another anime that so specifically takes advantage of its medium), but I'll reiterate, it all depends on what talent is behind it and what their vision is. Big-budget movies with artistic integrity can happen, even if they're sadly not the norm.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah, guess I can agree with that. The fact that WETA was even approached to create designs means that someone's head was in the right place somewhere along the line. But the rest of the "project" looks like it just went down the tubes anyway, and grossly unnecessary in light of the NME series.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:30 pm

RE: Gatotsu

I'm starting to think that the only way LAEM would ever work is to turn it into a comedy. I mean, the series wroks because it takes the conventions of Giant Robots and plays them out as they might happen in real life, so the only way I can see LAEM going is by taking the conventions of apocalyptic movies such as 2012 and finding the humor within. Why, just yesterday, I imagined the Instrumentality sequence set to "All You Need Is Love," 'cause that was on the radio, and I nearly busted a gut laughing at the idea of a song about love playing while all hell breaks loose.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 pm

http://afufu.net/freewill/cast-of-evangelion-live-action/

I lol'd. :lol: Clip probably came from the misinformation/delusion produced by You Know Who.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:17 pm

It's not from You-Know-Who's account. Also, You-Know-Who is deadly serious, while this guy seems to be playing it for laughs. Mila Kunis as Hikari? Queen Latifah as Misato? :lol:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

MasterRah
Embryo

Postby MasterRah » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:41 pm

One thing I hate about live action animes is all of the whitewashing involved. Almost every character is white. Why not try something different?

Rei, Shinji, Gendo, and Yui could be black. Or, they could just make Shinji some inter-racial kid with Yui still being Japanese.

Ritsuko, Misato, Kaji, That nerdy dude with the glasses, Touji, the girl that likes Touji, and Maya can keep their original heritage. Japanese.

That cool dude who works with Maya doing air guitar with the long hair can be black with dreads, and the nerd with the glasses can be Spanish or something.

Asuka will be the only white girl in the movie casted along with Kaworu,and Fuyutsuki(that's how his name is spelled right?) and a couple special appearances with some of the original voice cast from the ADV dub. Maybe they can get Tiffany Grant to be some toy shop owner with candy in the store, and Asuka goes to buy candy and she sees figures of herself. Just try something to make the cast more diverse, and appeal towards everyone in the end.

I'm black, and would like to see more of us in these live actions animes! I'd rather they make this a mini-series instead of a movie, and hype up the EoE live action movie, and release that in theaters with a 5 minute recap for people who didn't see the mini-series. Make the damn thing oscar worthy.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”