Trailer 2 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Trailer 2 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm leaning towards that being the 2.0 Rei

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:23 pm

I'll play contrarian and assume that it's actually a new clone Gendo/Fuyutski has just awoken
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

The buggy doll eyes make me lean that way too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:20 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I'm uncertain whether the closeup to the Rei face at Sn143 C003 is supposed to be Rei or Yui. She's most definitely not a fresh Rei, judging from the expression.

Yui doesn't have red eyes.

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I'll play contrarian and assume that it's actually a new clone Gendo/Fuyutski has just awoken

I agree.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:35 pm

I feel silly. OF COURSE Fuyutsuki has to go full Gargoyle. Misato is Captain Nemo, after all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Has anyone pointed out the new trailer for the Final Evangelion Film was released on the 22nd anniversary of the original Final Evangelion film - The End of Evangelion?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Recut in chronological order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp83O5j80ms
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Wow, that was really unexpected and also freaking amazing!

I have a crazy and completely unfounded theory regarding Sn299 and I need to let it out.
What if Gendo and Fuyu are using Eva-13 to pull the Black Moon back* into the real Moon? We know the Door of Guf has an attracting effect on the Black Moon and the Failures of Infinity, as seen during 3.0, and there's a gazillion Failures floating around in this scene.

*Assuming it came from it in this continuity.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I feel silly. OF COURSE Fuyutsuki has to go full Gargoyle. Misato is Captain Nemo, after all.

And Gendo is... Emperor Neo? :bigeyes:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:39 pm

@Gendo's Papa: I don't think anybody did! Thanks for the head's up!

Having thought about these few moments far too much in the hours since the trailer was unveiled, some over-the-top predictions:

As mentioned, Gendo will merge with the Key of Nebuchadnezzar and then with Eva-13. ("That is why your father is sacrificing everything to make his wish come true. Including his very soul.") This will result in Fuyutsuki being entrusted with the rest. (Just imagine hearing those words again: "I leave the rest to you, Fuyutsuki-sensei.") And that's when Fuyutsuki reveals his true colors: he's had a separate agenda this entire time. Maybe he and Yui were on the same team, and Gendo was actually the lone dupe -- his status as ultimate mastermind gets completely dismantled. Remember, we know basically nothing concrete about Fuyutsuki, or about Yui for that matter. Most of what we think we know is transplanted from NGE.

So basically, Fuyutsuki reveals that he was Gargoyle from Nadia the entire time. (Hell, maybe he can be the one with attachments to Seele, accordingly, in place of Yui.) And Gendo, once trapped inside Eva-13, becomes sort of like Neo. (I wrote this post before I saw Electreel's response... Keikaku doori. :emogendo: ) He's now Gargutsuki's imprisoned cyborg pawn -- who just so happens to be related to the main character. Fuyutsuki can carry out his plans from inside the giant flying Nerv HQ pyramid, with an army of mecha minions at his beck and call, never having to stray far from the comfort of his shogi table and collection of assorted horrors.

The significance of Gendo's visor will be less about Gendo's mechanization (though if he's going into Eva-13, that is of course PART of it). It's about him becoming blind. (I.e., his eyes no longer work, hence he requires artificial augmentation.) So blind he can't see the perfidy materializing right beside him. Kiel was quite similar in NGE. He refused to believe that Gendo would betray him until it was far too late. As the cherry on top, we might find out that Gendo's plan was actually ... not that bad at all. His methods were harsh but he wasn't actually the "bad guy". The future that starts to unfold once both Seele and Gendo are off the stage ends up being much, much worse.

A scenario where Gendo is the one who needs to be rescued? Where maybe he and Shinji stand a chance of reconciliation? How sweet would that be? And if Gendo and Kaworu are in the same place, that basically forces the issue. Shinji won't be able to deal with one without confronting the other. It's perfect.

In addition to the Nadia parallels, we need our Gunbuster ones. So on TOP (huh huh) of the inevitability of everyone going up into space at some point and crazy shit involving the Moon happening (like, the Moon has an atmosphere, so maybe we can finally get an Eva fight in the snow... ON THE MOON!!!), I have just the thing. Asuka and Mari's Evas are going to merge in some way. There's no getting around it. So that gives us the basic setup to do something Gunbuster-ish. Maybe they can have their "Fly High" moment where they kick the shit out of Fuyutsuki's zombie Eva army for a while. But you know that eventually, push will come to shove and a sacrifice will have to be made. If you've read my Adams/Children thread (and if you haven't, wtf are you waiting for?), you'll know that I've predicted that Asuka has the soul of an Adams and her original body is Eva-13. This truth will need to be confronted head-on, both for Asuka to fulfill her character arc (being a patchwork identity fighting for her reason to exist) and for the good guys to stop Final Impact, period. If Asuka is the original soul of Eva-13, and Eva-13 is what's used to set off Final Impact, then maybe she'll be in a unique position to stop the process, or at least bring it under control.

So here's where we get to the Gunbuster part. Eva-02 and Eva-08 will be merged at the time. Asuka will do something that forces Eva-02's core to absorb her. (We know it's possible because Rei was somehow absorbed into Eva-00's core after the 10th Angel had its delicious meal.) Then Mari will do the classic "rip off your clothing and your mecha's armor plating at the same time" maneuver, while epic music swells in the background, and she'll tear out Eva-02's core, and she'll shove that fucker right into Eva-13. Cue unimaginable awesomeness. And bittersweet stuff, too. Probably.

No matter how THAT ends, at least fans will finally get Asuka actually interacting in some way with Gendo and Kaworu, since they'll all be in the same body together. I want to hear her chew those two out so bad now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 pm

IS that Rei?

I thought it was Kaworu there with Fuyutsuki, then again the room look like the one with the discarded clone heads.

If Kaworu returns he could have been removed FROM Eva 13 somehow in that shot.

But whats this location? It could also be a flashback or metaphysical/ an inner vision. Still im still slightly bummed that we didnt get "all five Pilots interacting" as implied in that first Q trailer so it would be cool if that still happened.

In any case it does seem like we start with a scene much like in "until you come to me" and that other promo of the trio wandering the red desert.

That shot with Mari is interesting because it seems like shes having a one on one talk with someone maybe talking about her inner motivations. Could be Shiji Asuka or Nagara at this point.

Also did anyone really expect Final Impact not to occurr at least partially?

Either way im reminded of what they did with Q - Fighty preview that says little and then bam meaty trailer with the main characters.

Promises to get at least somewhat mindfucky

Also, the art looks great less pointy chins more detail.

But yeah, holy fuckoly what a time to be alive
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm just glad unit 13 isn't out of the picture just yet. It felt almost like a throwaway when I watched Q for the first time, which sorta sucked because the design is lit. For it to be back (and rendered in such glorious detail) is actually making me super hype.

That shot with the FOI arms clawing against the ground is awesome, the shots of Tokyo-3(?) from Q with all the mangled bodies was one of my favorite. Hopefully we'll be getting a closer look at the hellscape of post 3I than we did in Q. Also Kaworu is back? Sick. Maybe he can explain himself. The shot of Rei and Fuyutski is gorgeously drawn,

I'm excited to be getting more Rebuild yo, this looks dope. I can't wait for Fuyutski to embrace his Grand Moff Tarkin-ness and him and Gendo performing some really twisted shenanigans.
Leave Shinji alone

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:11 pm

For everyone who's having trouble seeing the Rei in this shot... I adjusted the levels but otherwise changed nothing. Notice red iris and blue hair. :wink:

(Background gives me vibes of this horrible place, which I assume is intentional.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Possibly looks a bit bluer still not sure because them ramped up the detail but kaworu is drawn differently in the one shot we have of him - it wouldnt be far from the curly DC redition of his hair tho

Interesting either way because I doubt ReiQ walked back to neo nerv....So shall we finally learn about that sweater vest.

Id be grateful for any substantual Rei content tbh
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 pm

There's a point during Until You Come To Me when we see Rei's hand crumbling away. She might HAVE to go back to Nerv HQ, if her survival depends on the facilities there. It would also tie into an unresolved question she asked last movie: "What am I, really?" HQ is where the answers are, unfortunately.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 pm

A user on the Eva Subreddit spotted that neither Kaworu nor Shinji are wearing the DSS choker in the shot of them. Unlikely then to be a flashback, our options seem to be Shinji is experiencing an hallucination or Kaworu fully comes back.
Leave Shinji alone

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:39 pm

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:A user on the Eva Subreddit spotted that neither Kaworu nor Shinji are wearing the DSS choker in the shot of them. Unlikely then to be a flashback, our options seem to be Shinji is experiencing an hallucination or Kaworu fully comes back.

Or most likely instumentality has taken place.
I watch and speculate.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Or most likely instumentality has taken place.

If anything it'd have to be a localised instrumentality. That scene takes place around halfway through the movie (scn136), and well before before final impact(299), if the scene and cut numbers aren't just outright lies (I wouldn't put it out of the question).
Leave Shinji alone

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There's a point during Until You Come To Me when we see Rei's hand crumbling away. She might HAVE to go back to Nerv HQ, if her survival depends on the facilities there. It would also tie into an unresolved question she asked last movie: "What am I, really?" HQ is where the answers are, unfortunately.

Rei is going to die , WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!

No reaction images, please, especially not the animated ones. -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 am

Re: Instrumentality, I wouldn't take it even a LITTLE BIT for granted that "Instrumentality" is going to be recognizable. Remember that in 3.0 when Kaworu was talking about it, we were shown a bunch of crystalline Evas coming out of the core-ified ground, trying to merge with one another. NTE has some kind of mechanism in place for... I guess you could call it "long-distance spiritual communication", but that probably has less to do with Instrumentality (at least, "Instrumentality" in the way you're specifically thinking...) and more to do with what the children are this time around.

So, yeah, I'll just go ahead and say it. Shinji is able to "see" Kaworu because Kaworu's soul still exists somewhere *cough*Eva-13*cough*, and because their souls are intimately connected by virtue of their shared Adamic past (a connection that was reawakened, you might say, as a result of them synchronizing inside an Adamsian body). Either that, or Shinji just has PTSD. :emogendo:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 am

Official, higher quality upload: https://youtu.be/EmABVp4ri5k

@pwhodges: Chronological edit-ha, had a feeling somebody would do it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”