Apostles?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Apostle
Embryo

Apostles?

•      
  •      

Postby Apostle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 am

Dear English-speaking fans,

As you will know, a teaser page for Evangelion has been recently added in the Netflix catalog:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81033445

It most likely contains a glimpse of the new translation, and from what I can see in the Italian page, Angels are now called Apostles. Is it the same for the English version? Since VPNs are blocked, I can't check personally. What do you think about translating "Shito" as "Apostles"?

Thank you.

eldomtom2
Adam

Re: Apostles?

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:45 am

If you're referring to the clip of the end of Episode 1 that plays, both it and the description still say "Angels" in English. Probably some sort of fuckup by the Italian translators.

LPeyrani
Embryo

Re: Apostles?

•      
  •      

Postby LPeyrani » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:16 am

The linguistic duality of the anime (spoken Japanese words that are visually coupled with English words with different meaning) is representable in every language apart English (you can't change the English writings in the drawings). Translating Shiro with Apostle is correct. I just watched the Italian adaptation and this double level really enhances the fruition of the show. They are Apostles but have names of angels; Sachiel is called "apostle" but at the same time the screen flashes with the English writing of the word angel. Everything gets more mysterious and sinister.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”