Origin of the "EoE was based on original scripts" rumour + episode 19 was to be rerecorded?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
eldomtom2
Lilith

Origin of the "EoE was based on original scripts" rumour + episode 19 was to be rerecorded?

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:07 pm

I've been digging through Usenet for contemprary reactions to EoE, and I found this post by Michael House translating a statement by Gainax publicity manager Sato Hiroki: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/%22evangelion%22$20after$3A1996$2F03$2F26$20before$3A1996$2F04$2F15/rec.arts.anime/TVuq-qPoGmM/1IrLqhHPfoEJ

"Shinseiki Evangelion" (Neon Genesis Evangelion) concluded its original broadcast run recently, much to the chagrin of its fans. But it has been learned that episodes 25 and 26 will be remade, using their original scripts. Additionally, the dialogue for Episode 19 will be rerecorded, and episodes 21-24 will have extensive retake footage.

All of these retakes, as well as the redone versions of Episodes 25 and 26, will be included in the laserdisc release of the series, with the final disc scheduled to include both the original TV versions of the last two episodes, as well as the remakes.

Look for release schedules in upcoming issues of various related publications. Further information will be released as it becomes available.

Sato Hiroki,
Publicity Manager,
GAINAX Co., Ltd.

Obviously this is very interesting, not just for the claim that 26' would also supposedly be based on "original scripts" (which of course ended up not being the case, though it could have been the original intention), but for the claim that episode 19's dialogue was to be rerecorded, which I don't think ended up happening, nor can I think of a reason why such would be necessary.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Origin of the "EoE was based on original scripts" rumour + episode 19 was to be rerecorded?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 pm

nor can I think of a reason why such would be necessary.

My thoughts exactly.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”