Evangelion Endings - Which is Best, Which is your favorite?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Amalgam429
Embryo

Evangelion Endings - Which is Best, Which is your favorite?

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:38 am

Evangelion has, a lot of endings. At least more than most shows out there. From the manga, to TV, to EoE, or speculation about 3.0+1.0, NGE leaves no shortage of satisfaction (or I guess, un-satisfaction) for its fan base to chew on. But which is the best? Which is your favorite? Do you have any theories about how Evangelion endings might cris cross on each other / all happen at the same time? What do the difference in endings meeeaaannn :emogendo: ? Post it all here!

Ps. Personally, the Manga takes the cake for my favorite ending. It just feels so, complete. If you haven't read the manga, GO DO IT! It's so worth it.
"How's it goin?"

"Aha, well, it's going, I guess"

- Kaji

Ghdust
Embryo

Re: Evangelion Endings - Which is Best, Which is your favorite?

•      
  •      

Postby Ghdust » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:38 pm

EOE.

The TV ending just takes place within the EOE ending, and in the manga ending the characters have seemingly forgotten the events of the story.

Amalgam429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am

View Original PostGhdust wrote:EOE.

The TV ending just takes place within the EOE ending, and in the manga ending the characters have seemingly forgotten the events of the story.

What do you mean about the manga? Are you basically saying that the same sort of instrumentality happened and then they forgot? It always seemed like Shinji chose an entirely different fate for humanity in the manga! Also, i'm a huge fan of the TV+EoE theory for the ending. Makes the most sense ^_^
"How's it goin?"

- Kaji

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:41 pm

As the philosopher-king of the hashishim said, none of this shit is real so just pick what you want.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:30 pm

whynotboth.gif

You know what, I've actually never watched Evangelion and just stopped with the EoTV ending. I love both for entirely different reasons, but something tells me that I would walk away feeling WAY more uplifted if I just stopped with EoTV. I should try that next time.

Amalgam429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:41 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:whynotboth.gif

You know what, I've actually never watched Evangelion and just stopped with the EoTV ending. I love both for entirely different reasons, but something tells me that I would walk away feeling WAY more uplifted if I just stopped with EoTV. I should try that next time.

You have a point. The EoE ending is really great, and it's nice to stick with it as a familiar ending

But there's a whole other world out there for you to explore! The rebuilds have a really good amount of content to offer. There's so much speculation that goes into that universe that you could be browsing the wiki for days just trying to unpack it. I just finished my 3rd rewatch of the rebuilds and I discovered so much shit i didn't even know existed.

And the manga is another fish to fry! I love the manga for a ton of different reasons, but the main reason I love it is simply the amount of -expansion- it brings to the universe. There's so many things they just do "right" that it has always felt like the most complete version of evangelion. It's true form - the mark.06 if you will.

At the end of the day it really comes down to if you crave more eva. I did, so I ventured to the extremes, but if you're ok with the EoE ending, I respect that! Theres a lot of good that comes from it.
"How's it goin?"

- Kaji

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm

The manga take on a ending to an Eva property was interesting, and only in a way Evangelion could be. I should re-read through that just to not be interrupted by long breaks throughout and really study it. (To say that Sadamoto was never very punctual about these releases is laughable. He's been drawing these things since 1995 and only finished it a couple years ago.) But the rest of the manga before that ending was so different that I have a hard time comparing that ending to the TV series. The manga handled the characters very differently from the series, so it was arguably always a very different property heading towards a very different ending. This isn't like the TV show where Episode 1 - 24 happen, then everyone's split about which ending happens after those events. The whole story is different, so I kind of treat it differently as a result. Manga ending isn't an "Alternate Ending," it's a completely different story from front to back. The same thing goes for the "Rebuilds" too, through those don't have an ending. (Yet.)

Amalgam429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The manga take on a ending to an Eva property was interesting, and only in a way Evangelion could be. I should re-read through that just to not be interrupted by long breaks throughout and really study it. (To say that Sadamoto was never very punctual about these releases is laughable. He's been drawing these things since 1995 and only finished it a couple years ago.) But the rest of the manga before that ending was so different that I have a hard time comparing that ending to the TV series. The manga handled the characters very differently from the series, so it was arguably always a very different property heading towards a very different ending. This isn't like the TV show where Episode 1 - 24 happen, then everyone's split about which ending happens after those events. The whole story is different, so I kind of treat it differently as a result. Manga ending isn't an "Alternate Ending," it's a completely different story from front to back. The same thing goes for the "Rebuilds" too, through those don't have an ending. (Yet.)

No I totally agree! That’s where. The beauty of the manga and the rebuilds shine. They are similar, yet completely different. Those changes in character alter the story in such an interesting way that it brings a whole other level to what we think of as Eva. But that’s not saying you can’t draw lines across the series to compare. I really like seeing how Sadamoto may have taken a line while seeing how Anno did it differently in the original. Or seeing how
SPOILER: Show
mari shows up at the end of the manga - meaning that some of it could have implications in 3.0+1.0? Maybe not, but it’s such a fun thought experiment
"How's it goin?"

- Kaji

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 am

End of Eva, by a long shot. I can appreciate an ending that is bittersweet and leaves you with more questions than answers - if done correctly that is - and EoE is a perfect example of that.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Pathetic.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pathetic. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 am

EoTV, it always makes me smile a bit and leaves me with a sense of motivation. EoE is nice too because it's a ray of hope in what seems like complete misery.

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:15 am

I think the answer is pretty obvious, right? :shifty:

End of Evangelion (EoE) is my favorite ending by far. It's the most real, the most possible (at least in the context of the show), and the most screwed up. I just really like how everything was just...GONE basically by the end. End of TV (EOTV) is more or less just a side ending or another "possible" ending, although it's not the one many people enjoy due to it just copping out all the buildup the series had done by that point, though visually it's actually one of my favorite parts of the whole series, I love the kind of weird, out of the box, kind of stuff they did there (though I think it was for budget reasons, I guess a limited budget can bring in some truly creative stuff...maybe even..INFINITELY creative stuff.) However, if we are talking plot, it definitely goes to EoE, it just makes the most sense and wraps up not only Shinji's Characters arc by the end, but really everyone else's as well (unlike the EOTV.)

The way they went out with it all was just...AMAZING! Guess it makes sense though, Anno was basically throwing the anger from the unsatisfied fans back into their faces in the form of a movie rooted from his own frustration from those fans. :D
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”