Gears of War is awesome in video game form

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Gears of War is awesome in video game form

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:36 pm

Oh man.

It's really, really, really good. The story is kind of good, but that obviously isn't the main focus. Everything's so realistic and fun. I haven't had this much fun in a video game in a long time...

Probably one of the very best games of the year.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:13 am

I'm to lazy to google..

Would you mind explaining what the story is?
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:33 am

It's on an Earth Colony, a swarm of underground aliens called the Locust Horde rise up, destroy shit and you play an imprisoned character and have to defeat the aliens.

Basically the plot is incredibly basic on the surface, and I cannot wait to play this game because it has a chainsaw... Unfortunately I have to wait until christmas to play it but it looks awesome. I dont know the full story because I haven't played it but the fun looks to be more in the gameplay.

It's a third person squad based shooter, with Co Op modes over Xbox Live and brilliant looking graphics. It looks awesome and as I said I cannot wait until I get to play it.

This is the TV Ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:09 pm

The ad for it kicks so much ass it's not funny.

Mad World and Donnie Darko FTW.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:04 pm

I've been playing it for about a week now and it's good. Not Resident Evil 4 good mind you, but good. I wish they would have added more match types for the online mode though.

Where's the Capture the Flag?

King of the Hill?

Your standard kill everyone deathmatch?

Playing Team Deathmatch over and over gets old really quick. Seems to me that they should have spent a little less time on the graphics and more on the gameplay.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

CyborgZeta
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CyborgZeta » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Well, it's a good game, but I wouldn't say Game of the Year. It has some problems. Such as, the story is not thoroughly explained within the game, the characters are mostly uninteresting (can be disputed), and the multiplayer isn't anything I'd be playing 5 months from now.
"Without courage all virtues lose their meaning." - Winston Churchill

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:19 pm

Epic doesn't have a good history on having good stories for there games.

But I'd like to discuss something. It may be possible that Sera is an alternate history earth, but most likely the two species would have wiped eachother out long ago.... though if it were a human colony, the technology is a little outdated. Most likely Sera is just a colony world abandoned long ago, maybe a former prison planet.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:15 pm

The story isn't exactly the main focus. The main focus is all the god damn fun you're having.

Game of the year for me is either Tales of the Abyss or Xenosaga 3.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:28 pm

That trailer rocked my world..thank you
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:07 pm

I actually don't get why people think the trailer is so good. Sure the music is good, but it's not like the killzone teaser.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:11 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:The story isn't exactly the main focus. The main focus is all the god damn fun you're having.

Game of the year for me is either Tales of the Abyss or Xenosaga 3.

Xenosaga 3 was good?

I keep hearing two was crap. Then again, I can hardly get past the second ship in the first one. Hard game.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:12 pm

XS games are indeed difficult, and XS2 does indeed fail in comparison to the God and Win from XS1 and 3.

You couldn't beat the fortress with Ziggy, or the Elsa? Neither were particularily difficult...

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”