Mari drinks Fortnum & Mason tea in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Mari drinks Fortnum & Mason tea in 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 pm

I was looking at the "tea cube" today, and searching a bit on the internet it seems like Mari is an hardcore tea enthusiast based on the flavors.
The tea seems to be not just random tea, but some high quality tea from Fortnum & Mason, a tea company founded in 1707.

It seems like tea industries are still going strong post SI and NTI. :lol:

Here are the flavors for the curious.

Description
In this classic Royal Blend notes of Flowery Pekoe from Ceylon uplift the maltier Assam to create a very traditional cup of tea. First blended for King Edward in 1902, Fortnum’s Royal Blend has been popular ever since for its smooth, honey-like flavour.

Tasting Notes
Full-bodied Malty
Our most-famous blend, created originally for Edward VII. An upgrade on your regular morning brew, Royal Blend’s malty, honey-like flavour makes it an ideal partner to a strong breakfast marmalade or lunchtime Rarebit.

How to Brew
For every cup you wish to make, add a rounded teaspoon of leaves to your pot. Add freshly-boiled water, brew for 3-5 minutes, place your strainer over your cup and pour. For tea bags, simply brew in your cup for 3-5 minutes, remove and enjoy.

"Violet" sadly it's not on their website, but the product do seems to exist (or have existed at some point) based on this Japanese webpage.

Description
Created in response to a request from the Palace for a smokier Earl Grey, this unique blend of Tea Bags combines traditional bergamot with a touch of Lapsang and Gunpowder tea. For years its unique smokiness has been popular for very good reason.

Tasting Notes
Smoky Distinct
The original Earl Grey to be sold at Fortnum’s, this famous blend was created after a request from the palace for a tea with real oomph.Made from a combination of traditional bergamot, with Lapsang Souchong and Gunpowder tea added, it works very well with roast duck.

How to Brew
For every cup you wish to make, add a rounded teaspoon of leaves to your pot. Add freshly-boiled water, brew for 3-5 minutes, place your strainer over your cup and pour. For tea bags, simply brew in your cup for 3-5 minutes, remove and enjoy.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Mari drinks Fortnum & Mason tea in 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Possibly the most unexpected Eva trivia I've encountered for a while
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm

^

Proably one of the less interesting too. :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Fifteen-odd years ago my son had a Japanese girlfriend (a violinist, not the Japanese pianist he's now married to). When she went to visit her family in Japan, they demanded that she took no clothes, as her old clothes were still at home, but used her luggage allowance to take various characteristically English things back to them, including - yes! - Fortnum and Mason's tea. Clearly this is special to at least some Japanese.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:48 am

^ And the tea certainly underscores Mari's British ancestry.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Young people like her enjoy teas ? Thats a bit weird now that i'm thinking to it

I would have expected her drinking sodas

Nice find by the way !!!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:07 pm

^Well, she is technically almost thirty by Q.

Also she always seemed to be on the stylishly eccentric side (my 20 y/o theater nerd sister loves fancy tea like no tomorrow) and Sadamoto mentioned in this one interview about a deleted scene that she's from some snobbish sort of family.

What I'm wondering is, does the tea company still exist as of Q, or did he find some crates of this stuff while scavenging?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Joseki: Haha, nice. Thanks so much for researching this trivia about the tea brand! I personally hope if it's easily importable/for sale in the States, I can try it myself sometime. I love a good tea/coffee ^_^

@ Thread overall: Personally, liking tea growing up in the States wasn't unusual for me, but I'm from a super European (Polish) family so maybe it's cultural differences.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:14 am

^ Try Amazon, I was able to get tea biscuits from the UK a while back, shouldn't be too much of an issue for tea as well.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 am

Fortnum and Mason ship internationally themselves - but it's not cheap...

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/information/international-delivery

They also have a US agent: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/ (I was blocked from viewing their website as their response to modern yah-boo-sucks legislation, so can't say if it's actually useful).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm

^ The site works and the tea is available, and reasonably priced as well.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”