SOME QUESTION ABOUT EVANGELION

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sayajin
Embryo

SOME QUESTION ABOUT EVANGELION

•      
  •      

Postby Sayajin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:24 pm

I've just finished to watch all the series and the end of evangelion, but i'm pretty confused about some things:

1) Why in the end of evangelion Shinji chokes Asuka?
2) If Shinji reject the humanaty instrumentality project, why there are only Shinji and Asuka at the end? Where is the humanity?
3) If in the Eva there are human souls (Eva 01 has Shinji's mother soul and Eva 02 has Asuka's mother soul), what soul is inside the Eva 00?

Sorry for bad english

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: SOME QUESTION ABOUT EVANGELION

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:17 pm

All of those have been discussed in great detail on here before, so I'll link you the threads, hope you get something out of them

1) This thread might be what you are looking for
2) Oh boy do we have many threads discussing instrumentality and it's aftermath
3) See all of those threads

EDIT: I just realised that I probably sound like a sarcastical asshole. Be assured that this is not my intent
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:24 pm

1) this has been endlessly debated. A semi-official answer from an Evangelion card game is that he did it to prove she was real
2) the generally accepted answer is that other people could return at other places, also the two pilots were probably amongst the very first to do so
3) As we see in episode 14, it's a piece of Rei(Lilith).

The last is the only one of these three questions with a reasonably firm answer. My own reading of the final scene was very different to the consensus above (being in part a continuation of what happened in Instrumentality).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:58 am

So a few caveats:

This is going to be my interpretation based my thoughts and discussions with others.
I am approaching this from character motivation perspective.
I am assuming the beach scene is REAL WORLD.
I'm assuming that both EOTV and EOE happen concurrently.
I try to avoid projecting myself on the characters (you judge how well I did).

Sayajin wrote:1) Why in the end of Evangelion Shinji chokes Asuka?

/Dramatization
Gendou wants instrumentality, Rei is like, “I'm not a puppet, ÿøû out”
Rei goes to Shinji and is like “what ÿøû want?”
Shinji‘s like, “make us all tang (I don’t wanna be alone anymore)”.
So then he is introspective for the next 30 minutes until he realizes, “wait, no this sucks too, mom/Rei change it back”
Mom/Rei , “well ÿøû can go ÿøû back...but I can’t make everybody go back. They gotta do it themselves.”
So Shinji leaves instrumentality and is on the beach
Asuka on beach
Shinji looks over
Shinji thinks “fuck, I’m still not happy. I hate everything. I hate myself. Hate”. Hate, Anger, Frustration...that side of the emotional spectrum. Just straight up having a break down from the prior events and the current state of existence. Pretty sure he's suffering PTSD. If not for the whole show, at least since Kaworu bit it.
Shinji was feeling pretty pretty good about his decision 3 minutes ago cause he THOUGHT he was gonna be happy to come back. But now he’s breaking down cause he still isn’t satisfied (and is never going to be).
So he’s like “I’m gonna break everything, let’s start by choking Asuka again”
And Asuka is looking at him (I think this is debatable, but i've made my decision on this).
Asuka is thinking along similar lines to Shinji, but is not outwardly extending her frustration. Asuka also had different expectations of what coming back to reality would be.
Asuka thinks back to her lines from instrumentality "I don't want to die...." and "i don't want to be alone"
Asuka caresses Shinji's cheek.
Shinji stops choking and cries
And Asuka like:
SPOILER: Show

Okay but seriously at this point she is just letting it out. Her frustration with Shinji, Herself, the disappointment of existence.

Sayajin wrote:2) If Shinji reject the humanaty instrumentality project, why there are only Shinji and Asuka at the end? Where is the humanity?

As Mr. Tines stated above, the other people could return, but either no one else wanted to, or they haven't yet, or they appeared at a different location.

Sayajin wrote:3) If in the Eva there are human souls (Eva 01 has Shinji's mother soul and Eva 02 has Asuka's mother soul), what soul is inside the Eva 00?

Again, Mr. Tines got it. A part of Rei I's/Lilith's Soul is in Unit 00, similar to a part of Kyoko's soul residing in Unit 02.

testnameC09
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby testnameC09 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 am

As we know every Impact (2nd, 3rd etc) opens the Doors of Guf, which transforms all Lilith-based life forms to LCL soup . So a question is why didn't SEELE stop on 2nd Impact?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”