Rebuild's Strongest Aspect(s)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ShonHam
Lilith

Rebuild's Strongest Aspect(s)

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 am

There is a lot of negative stigma surrounding the Rebuild movies thus far, if the fourth and final film will resolve these issues is yet to be seen. I can agree that it's faults are fairly stand-out, but if we were to talk solely on the matter of their strongest aspect, what would you guys say it is? I personally have always loved the Rebuild for it's beautiful art/direction - the 'Until you come to me' preview given at the Japan Animator Expo is a great example of what I'm talking about, and it makes me excited for the new film's locations and setpieces. It's hard to argue against how beautiful these movies can look at their best, and it really compliments the story told.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Rebuild's Strongest Aspect(s)

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:37 pm

I like how the characters emotions aren't expressed by 12 minutes long monologues but by the medium's strength: color palettes, music, animation and frame composition. The "composition" is really something that I love, I could pause any of the 3 movies at any moment and I would see a frame that has something to say or at least a very defined tone (maybe 3.0 more than the others and 2.0 a bit less, but that's maybe just because I like 3.0 a bit more and 2.0 a bit less).

That's something that I think the movies do at a level well above the average standard in the anime industry. I feel like the recent trend is applying tons of useless post production instead of having an actually interesting image or animation.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Those aspects of the Rebuilds are really refreshing to see in the scene of modern anime, it's as you say (just a disclaimer, this isn't me saying modern anime is bad). I feel like there's a deep passion put into these movies, and I'd much rather have the product released by passionate creators as opposed to pandering low-effort cash grabs. As much as Evangelion is a merchandising giant, I'm glad that it's core hasn't been altered.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Rebuild's strongest aspect is Anno's narrative focus. He very smartly distilled the dense character work in NGE to its main protagonist and kept a laser focus on him and how he relates to other's, even despite the behest of fans that their "Best Gurl" (whoever that may be) be reinstated as part of an ensemble cast. I just finished rewatching them for the first time in a year, and Shinji's pathos simply becomes more and more powerful the more I watch these movies. I cannot wait for Shin Eva to see where this all leads. I simply wish American audiences were more sympathetic towards Shinji in these movies. That's where I think there's a true cultural divide between the two countries in the reception of these movies.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:09 am

I'd say the shot compositions, editing and all technical aspects (as has been pointed out already) are godly. Anno and co. are still masters of their craft.
The music is amazing too, though I wouldn't put it above NGE necessarily, since I love that OST too. It's just different.

I could go on like this, there are things I love in Rebuild that I also loved in NGE, which is the mark of an amazing director making these movies.

If there is ONE thing I feel the need to point out, it's everything 3.0 does. This film has shaped the way I see art.
I had a discussion with friends recently about the modern Star Wars movies (which in general I do enjoy) and how I think I would destroy the Millenium Falcon, since with it being there, the filmmakers feel the constant need to go back to it. Do I enjoy the Millenium Falcon? Of course I do. And it would be sad to get rid of it.
But look what 3.0 did. Is it sad that Eva-01 was removed from that film? It is, but look at everything we got instead (and I know Eva-13 is very similar, but I think that initial similarity is intentional, as it soon starts changing, I think the mechs in these movies represent the story itself).
You can apply this to every aspect of this film. The character designs, the setting, etc.
And obviously this ties into the theme of isolation itself.
The Rebuilds are also seemingly dealing with the inevitability of passage of time, something I'm interested in and the show wasn't necessarily about.

The Millenium Falcon is awesome, but the way it's used (being used, but not too much, since we already know it) I feel like it will always be a shadow of its former self. I think to make a new Millenium Falcon, you need a new ship, which is what the Millenium Falcon was at one point.
Rebuild wisely realizes this.

The Nerv command center is awesome, but what if it was comoletely destroyed, overrun by Lilith's giant head, and the staff weren't even working at Nerv? What if we had a flying ship/PenPen's remains/whatever that thing is instead?
Seeing Wunder halfway through Rebuild gave me a feeling similar to what I felt seeing Nerv for the first time in NGE.

And the fact that Rebuild starts out similarly to NGE just intensifies all of this.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:17 am

Well, first I think the art style is awesome and is a true amelioration compared to the series. Don't get me wrong, NGE was beautiful for its time and it's still perfectly fine today for the most part, but Rebuild brought a well needed visual update.

Second, the music. It's not necessarily better than the series, but it sounds more "modern", like if somebody wanted it to sound more like today's music (although fortunately they didn't put rap into it), which fits Rebuild since it's a modern version of Eva. Personally, I prefer the Rebuild OST over the series one but they're both awesome.

Third, I think Anno managed to keep the unique and special feeling of NGE, he didn't transformed it into an ordinary mech show, while also making new and original things (you might not like those things, but you can't deny they're new and original).

And finally, cinematographically, It's awesome, but others explained it better than I could.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 am

The successful 'modernization' of the series through these films has gone greatly underappreciated by the masses, it's cool to see others feel the same as me. Seeing 3.0 in a theater gave me real insight into how spectacular the visual elements of these films are - it really is a work of art. I too am curious to see how the final movie will tie things up and add new things to the table.

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:44 am

I always enjoyed Shinji's character in the original series, and he was by far my favourite. However, I also liked how his character was made easier to identify with in the Rebuild version, and that was one of the best changes as a whole. He became more active and willing to change while also becoming less regressive, yet Anno managed to keep him from changing too greatly and retained common themes from the original.

I also liked how the stakes were raised in 3.0 to give more one-sided justification to closing himself off from everyone. He inadvertently brought the world (and Humanity) to its knees TWICE under the intentions of doing something noble, and lost people close to him in both scenarios. I won't be surprised if he falls into a state similar to 26 in 3.0+1.0.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am

It's very reminiscent of how the manga developed Shinji's character close to the original, whilst giving his character new sides, like his bursts of confidence. It keeps things fresh and interesting, at least for me. I can completely understand how the Rebuild's version of the cast is appealing, it gives off that 'alternate universe' feel that I enjoy so much.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 pm

There are many things I personally love about Rebuild. The fantastic animation, strong world building, the sharp character evolution of Shinji Ikari - it's undeniably HIS story so while I can understand why some people are upset the other characters aren't as developed it has never held sway or affected my enjoyment personally since I'm so on board with Shinji's evolution - that glorious music and the strong conversations on here that have come out of it.

But, easily one of the top elements I love about Rebuild is its willingness to reinvent itself while staying true to the heart of Neon Genesis Evangelion. This four-film series is incredibly ambitious. Despite it's modest beginning as a "remake" the Rebuild tetralogy has truly grown into being a work all its own.

The easiest thing for Anno & Co. to do was just continue the template they had set with the modest 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. Just take the already existing series, reuse most of the shots & material, use current technology to update the animation, throw in a new scene here + there & make the final action sequence bigger. Collect the paychecks and move on. Instead of resting on their laurels the creative team took chances with the following film 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance and drastically changed things up. They intentionally went bigger, brighter, broader and more superficially fun & tighter plotted than the TV series. For all intents & purposes - fans can argue it's "Eva for fans who don't like Eva" which is justified - 2.0 was a monstrous success and is often ranked as the best of all the Eva movies. It intentionally gave people the version of Evangelion they've loved and kept alive in the never-ending merchandise since the series inception in 1995**. If all they wanted out of Rebuild was to make money then they could have continued on the 2.0 model for the future films - pander to the fans with the girls being cute & Shinji being badass - and instead Anno felt it was necessary for his story to go down a completely separate path from the show while still staying true to Shinji's emotional journey. 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo is undeniably one of the bravest creative decisions made in a pop culture franchise and a supremely bold artistic decision- one that is so bold & pure that it's hard to argue with people who didn't like it, a decision that bold is made with the understanding that some people just won't go along with it - and I love it for that.
It's difficult to say where Final is going to take the Rebuild tetralogy but I certainly think whatever it will be won't be boring or the safe choice. These films have grown far more ambitious than continuations of a 23 year old series should be.

**I've always found it funny how NGE: The Series is about isolation, depression, suicide and the pain of interacting with others while NGE: The Merchandise Empire is about cute girls, adorable outfits, school hijinks, fan-servicy pratfalls, Rei vs. Asuka & general sitcom antics.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:21 am

Anno's most admirable trait - at least for me - is that he tells the story that he wishes to tell, regardless of what everyone else thinks. Rebuild is a great example of that, and I agree. These films are massive achievements, and I would give credit to all involved. It revived the conversation around Eva, be it positive or negative, and that makes me incredibly happy to see also.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm

I don't know if this was posted yet, but I have a theory that it's revenge against the dense Otaku that took NGE's message the opposite way it was intended, causing Japan's shut-in culture to become even worse with Evangelion as one of Japan's biggest media franchises. He's giving the fans exactly what they want, more sexualized female characters for instance. The biggest complaint over the original in regards of it not being the exact same as every other anime ever was 'Shinji is a pussy', so Anno had Shinji stand up for himself and attempt to save Rei- only to leave himself locked in Unit 01, without which the entire world is broken into toxic shambles at the hands of SEELE and the remains of NERV. I believe Anno is showing the fans that they can't always have everything their way, and when it is, they'll only complain over the results of their short-sightedness, and I believe this is New Theatrical Evangelion's strongest aspect.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 am

but I have a theory that it's revenge against the dense Otaku that took NGE's message the opposite way it was intended

Anno has said he isn't targeting otakus this time.
Also, keep in mind he is an otaku himself. Evangelion was never an attack, more like self improvement.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 pm

The technical part: animation, coloring, CGI use, camera positioning technique and the choreography of the fights are spectacular, but the story itself no longer touches me and is beyond my ability to immersion and voluntary suspension of disbelief.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”