First look at Unit 08 and Mari from the theatrical teaser for 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: First look at Unit 08 and Mari from the theatrical teaser for 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:59 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:The good guys are whoever Shinji & co. are currently employed by.

So in Q Nerv are the good guys? Or does the fact that Shinji goes his own way in the end make him self-employed, and himself the good guy in spite of what he's doing?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:00 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:The good guys are whoever Shinji & co. are currently employed by.

I don't think this is how Eva works :sweatdrop:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Oh come on, I thought we had a consensus that for all their meanness to Shinji, WILLE were the good guys, I mean they are the ones trying to save and -according to the website's synopsis of Shin- revive the world, versus SEELE and neo-NERV that are trying to finish to nuke it for whatever version of Instrumentality they fancy in this version of the story.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh come on, I thought we had a consensus that for all their meanness to Shinji, WILLE were the good guys, I mean they are the ones trying to save and -according to the website's synopsis of Shin- revive the world, versus SEELE and neo-NERV that are trying to finish to nuke it for whatever version of Instrumentality they fancy in this version of the story.

Good, bad, right, wrong...

They mean nothing when a prolonged, world-threatening war is waged between organizations led by mortally challenged, when one plays god and manipulates his son and ex-subordinates to comitt total human failure and the other denies her guilt in failing to prevent the actions of her prisoner and disregards being his guardian by using her higher leadership as a excuse.

N4I could've been avoided if Kats and WILLE planed Shinjis confinement differently. They didn't gave him the time to grasp his situation and expected him to know this on his own.

For Shinji it made no difference what he could do, when he'll be punished for N3I and Matsushiro anyway.

And even when NERV and SEELE 'll be defeated, WILLE could still be seen as much of a threat for being capable of the same means. Even when they wouldn't initiate a Impact on their own.

Mankind wouldn't appreciate to be protected by WILLE, for being badly affected from this war.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:18 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:Good, bad, right, wrong...

They mean nothing when a prolonged, world-threatening war is waged between organizations led by mortally challenged, when one plays god and manipulates his son and ex-subordinates to comitt total human failure and the other denies her guilt in failing to prevent the actions of her prisoner and disregards being his guardian by using her higher leadership as a excuse.

N4I could've been avoided if Kats and WILLE planed Shinjis confinement differently. They didn't gave him the time to grasp his situation and expected him to know this on his own.

For Shinji it made no difference what he could do, when he'll be punished for N3I and Matsushiro anyway.

And even when NERV and SEELE 'll be defeated, WILLE could still be seen as much of a threat for being capable of the same means. Even when they wouldn't initiate a Impact on their own.

Mankind wouldn't appreciate to be protected by WILLE, for being badly affected from this war.

Oh come on, this argument again?
Wanting Misato and Ritsuko to "better plan Shinji's confinement" is asking them to be bloody mediums that would know that neo-NERV's target was actually Shinji all along and not EVA-01.
Especially since they didn't even planned Shinji's confinement and debriefing beforehand because they didn't thought that Shinji was still alive and that they were still on the look out for enemy Nemesis Series! And for the million time, they were explaining to him things and even giving him time to grasp the situation and even answered some of his questions (as much as they could, remember that they were still in the middle of the operation of repairing the fleet and getting out of the NS' range), except that they were kinda cut short when Mark.09 started to shoot them.

As for N3I and Matsuhiro, for the latter they didn't punished back then, so I don't see why they would do it now, for N3I, we don't even know what exactly was N3I and what it did, sure WILLE put a DSS Choker on Shinji as a "punishment for his sins", but it's really more of a precaution than anything.
Now for Fourth Impact, he'll probably be punished, but this time it's really his fault.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:26 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh come on, this argument again?
Wanting Misato and Ritsuko to "better plan Shinji's confinement" is asking them to be bloody mediums that would know that neo-NERV's target was actually Shinji all along and not EVA-01.
Especially since they didn't even planned Shinji's confinement and debriefing beforehand because they didn't thought that Shinji was still alive and that they were still on the look out for enemy Nemesis Series! And for the million time, they were explaining to him things and even giving him time to grasp the situation and even answered some of his questions (as much as they could, remember that they were still in the middle of the operation of repairing the fleet and getting out of the NS' range), except that they were kinda cut short when Mark.09 started to shoot them.

As for N3I and Matsuhiro, for the latter they didn't punished back then, so I don't see why they would do it now, for N3I, we don't even know what exactly was N3I and what it did, sure WILLE put a DSS Choker on Shinji as a "punishment for his sins", but it's really more of a precaution than anything.
Now for Fourth Impact, he'll probably be punished, but this time it's really his fault.

You know I do feel bad for being angry at them, for them to let this happen. They wasted their chances. There is no better way out and only a hard way through.

Being constantly attacked by NERV and SEELE during these 14 years and having two failed attempts in retrieving Shinji are as much of lame excuses as Asuka telling Shinji that they don't give a fuck about his bullshit with Rei.

And why punishing Shinji for Matsushiro? It's because of Asuka herself and she would punish Shinji on her own. She 'll make him feel the pain he caused to her back then for not saving her and abandoning her.

Shinji was for everyone only a errand boy who should've realised all along that it was a waste to want Gendo to give a fuck about him.

Now there is nothing left for him than to feel all the hate and pain of the world he fucked up.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:07 am

So it's happening.

Obvously it's generic battle footage (though it nicely showcases the Q-era 360 cocpit or possibly even an update to it) that may or may not be in the movie,
you can't even see what she's shooting at, though it's cool that she is in an "extra cyborg" eva as she was in her debut.

You still see the bandages, so maybe WILLE were attacked before repairs could happen and the 8+2 might in fact still happen
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:50% chance this "new plugsuit" is just a stand in for temporary animation & they went with that look because it's more of a uniform color - top half is pink, bottom is purple - & requires less detailed animation.
This footage could be two years old or older when the film comes out in 2020. I would be surprised if anything in the footage shown ends up looking like that in the final film.

I would render a bet that Mari is still very much... on display... in the final product though.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:A new plugsuit doesn't really make sense if there's not even enough time to fix Eva-08's arms.

Props from me as well for noticing the strings, El Mariachi. I'd been wondering why 08 was just tumbling through the sky... This still leaves the question open of what, if anything, she's supposed to be shooting at. The camera spins around so much it feels kind of weird we see neither the Wunder nor any targets.

BTW, this wasn't immediately obvious to me, so for anyone who didn't notice: the reason for the circular rig is so that the arms can move around the ring. Trailer is so disorienting that it's hard to see this happening, but at points the arms look distinctly closer together or further apart from each other. Kudos to the hubby for pointing this out.

No it doesn’t!!! As we see on the preview, all the Failures of Infinity are now awake and active. Mari is shooting at a horizon full of FOIs trying to clear some path or something I’d say.

Sorry for the bad resolution, but these on the ground

are these guys

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:22 am

The previous preview had little to do with the film that followed - and this time there's been an even longer (real-life) interval, and the recent clip contradicts those which you have reminded us of (by showing Unit 8 as a unit, not as part of a combination).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:47 pm

^ I do realize the likelihood is slim given how much the film has probably changed in the intervening years, but the idea may not die. Unless something still happens within the confines of the film and Unit-02+08 is still realized in some fashion, like a more Frankenstein approach to rebuilding the EVA.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Lemme paint you a picture of the next Eva movie.

SPOILER: Show
BLACK SCREEN fades up to reveal a GIRL DRESSED IN RED standing over the viewer.

Close-Up of Shinji'S FACE as he lies on the RED GROUND. Shinji squints his eyes up at the GIRL.

Shinji: Asuka?

Asuka, the GIRL, looks down at Shinji.

Asuka: Get up, brat. It's time to go.

An OLD WOMAN walks up next to Asuka, her frail body wrapped tightly in a BLACK PLUG SUIT.

Shinji: Who's that?

Asuka: That's Rei, you brat!

Shinji: What?!

Asuka: These clone things only live to be so long. Then they grow old and die.

Shinji: Live to be so long?! How long?

Asuka: That's right, brat! It's been fourteen years since the fourteen year time leap!

CUT TO TITLE ON BLACK SCREEN: "EVANGELION: 3.0+1.0 YOU CAN (NOT)"

Directed by Hideaki Anno.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Lemme paint you a picture of the next Eva movie.

BLACK SCREEN fades up to reveal a GIRL DRESSED IN RED standing over the viewer.

Close-Up of Shinji'S FACE as he lies on the RED GROUND. Shinji squints his eyes up at the GIRL.

Shinji: Asuka?

Asuka, the GIRL, looks down at Shinji.

Asuka: Get up, brat. It's time to go.

An OLD WOMAN walks up next to Asuka, her frail body wrapped tightly in a BLACK PLUG SUIT.

Shinji: Who's that?

Asuka: That's Rei, you brat!

Shinji: What?!

Asuka: These clone things only live to be so long. Then they grow old and die.

Shinji: Live to be so long?! How long?

Asuka: That's right, brat! It's been fourteen years since the fourteen year time leap!

:hitthetable:

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:44 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Lemme paint you a picture of the next Eva movie.

All I could think of:

Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 pm

^ :rofl:

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:25 am

I don't know if anyone noticed it before but Unit 08's legs weren't just fixed, the entire armor was swapped for another type.

Last edited by Joseki on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 am

I had not noticed! Man, Wille sure has a lot of equipment lying around.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 am

^ Obviously things aren't as bad as we were led to believe for Wille. Wonder if they were going to regrow Unit-08's arms or just slap on the interchangeable parts like Unit-02

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Not sure where people got the idea that Wille were a ragtag rebel group in the first place. A fleet of carriers and warships with at least two Evangelions is going to have significant amounts of money and resources backing it.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm

The concept of “resources” for either Nerv or Wille is a strained concept anyway. In a civilized Japan, it make sense that Nerv would be Government subsidized or something. In Eva Q, who on Earth is left to fund either party?
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”