First look at Unit 08 and Mari from the theatrical teaser for 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: First look at Unit 08 and Mari from the theatrical teaser for 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Yamashita tweeted about Unit 08 too:

Any new info in it?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 pm

@ Gendo's Papa: That's extremely plausible. I venture you're right about most or all.

The complete removal of Eva-08's arms doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Looking at the end of Q, the corrosion in the arms is not only arrested, it's completely gone. They seem a little wounded, but that's it. The armor is the expected color (whereas core-ified stuff turns completely red). If they can rehabilitate the fucked-up corpse of Eva-02 into something usable, then healing wounded arms is nothing. Amputation only makes sense if coreification is viewed as a kind of irreversible necrosis, but there's no indication at the end of Q that this is the case. Plus, they know enough about the process that Asuka immediately ejected Eva-02 prosthetic limb when it started to turn into core (after she inserted the Wunde'rs igniter), so if 08's arms were beyond hope surely they would have just lopped them off immediately and not lovingly bandaged them up.

Even if Eva-08 gets destroyed at the start of the movie (please don't; I like her), I'd like it if the finalized design had the bandaged arms still wrapped over the chest. Thus the protheses would be a slapped-on rig that doesn't come at the expense of perfectly fixable arms; it's just put in use because Wille didn't have the time to fix Eva-08 up.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Perhaps while the core three - Shinji, Rei & Asuka - are still wandering the red desert WILLE/the Wunder are attacked by something from NERV and they have to send out their only functional Eva + Pilot to fight it off. Mari does her best & it's a big action set piece with a glorious Shiro Sagisu score that blows everyones minds. But Unit 08 mostly gets destroyed in the process and then later in the film it's parts are combined with the remains of Unit 02 to create the amalgamation Unit if it's still a thing.

After which Mari dies.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Any new info in it?

Can't make it out in its entirety, but I could maybe make out these couple of things:

- "...when fretting over some individual design, a retake -- with spec alterations to go along with plot changes -- emerges against all reason..."
- "...an image I nearly don't believe, even though yours truly drew the basis [for it]..."

*massive shrug*
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MrUnimport
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrUnimport » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Came here as soon as I saw it. I think it's really cool! I have a big thing for Rebuild's use of cyborg or otherwise physically deconstructed Evangelions, from Provisional Unit 05 way back when to the Evangelion Mark.04 series. I think it's a great riff on the original body horror of finding out the Evangelions are living beings -- not only did we not build them humanoid on purpose, we inevitably found ways to take them apart and repurpose them in non-humanoid ways.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:52 pm

So, after 5 years we finally get a teaser for the fourth movie. And it is. . . well, it's a teaser, all right. I'm just going to list the things I liked and the things I didn't like.

Stuff I liked:
-Mari's new plugsuit. Big improvement over the old one, IMHO
-Unit 02+08's new look. Looks a lot better than the "50/50" design we had earlier.
- Some cool Eva vs Eva fighting that looks better than what we got in the third movie

Stuff I didn't like
- That weird rig that Unit 02+08 is wearing that looks like the power-loader suit from Aliens,
- Those weird cat-ear-shaped thingamabobs on Unit 08's head are never not going to be silly.
- The fact that we have to wait until 2020 for this movie
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:- That weird rig that Unit 02+08 is wearing that looks like the power-loader suit from Aliens

Seriously, you can't look at it and say that it isn't deliberately lifted from Aliens.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 pm

I like this design. Or, I like what this design suggests. It looks so desperately stitched together that it suggests something devastating must have been happening pretty quick in order to prompt that kind of a response from Wille.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Perhaps while the core three - Shinji, Rei & Asuka - are still wandering the red desert WILLE/the Wunder are attacked by something from NERV

At the start of 2017 we had those concept art pieces showing the Wunder running into some kind of storm as well.
It'll continue being Evangelion's version of Nadia's Nautilus I'm sure.
I have a big thing for Rebuild's use of cyborg or otherwise physically deconstructed Evangelions

Same here.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:00 pm

After seeing the teaser a couple of things come to mind.

1) Don't really care for the Diablomon look for Unit-8, sure it has the quick fix vibe but not a fan of it.

2) Don't like the redesigned plug suit, i loved the 2nd plugsuits of Mari and Asuka (especially Asuka) from 3.0. I loved how the color scheme went with the purple. Now though, it's just different shades of pink.

3) I'm guessing all the fanservice budget is going to Mari's boobs, i mean look at them, they're like twice the size they were before!

4) If it sticks, i like the new plug UI, it's more of a 360 degree vision compared to it being limited to what an Eva can physically see.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:37 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:@ Gendo's Papa: That's extremely plausible. I venture you're right about most or all.

The complete removal of Eva-08's arms doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Looking at the end of Q, the corrosion in the arms is not only arrested, it's completely gone. They seem a little wounded, but that's it. The armor is the expected color (whereas core-ified stuff turns completely red). If they can rehabilitate the fucked-up corpse of Eva-02 into something usable, then healing wounded arms is nothing. Amputation only makes sense if coreification is viewed as a kind of irreversible necrosis, but there's no indication at the end of Q that this is the case. Plus, they know enough about the process that Asuka immediately ejected Eva-02 prosthetic limb when it started to turn into core (after she inserted the Wunde'rs igniter), so if 08's arms were beyond hope surely they would have just lopped them off immediately and not lovingly bandaged them up.

Even if Eva-08 gets destroyed at the start of the movie (please don't; I like her), I'd like it if the finalized design had the bandaged arms still wrapped over the chest. Thus the protheses would be a slapped-on rig that doesn't come at the expense of perfectly fixable arms; it's just put in use because Wille didn't have the time to fix Eva-08 up.

Maybe since 02 is completely wrecked and that 08's arms aren't 100% functional, WILLE decided to amputate them to regenerate them separately to re-graft them later, while giving wonky but functional mechanical arms to 08 ? I mean this contraption screams "jury-rigged" to me, that can't be something they intend to be permanent. (08 even has still most of its bandages!)
And at worst, they could always install connecting ports like for 02's left arm and use its stocks of unused robot arms, not that 02 will need them anytime soon. (they will have to build right arms too)

View Original PostSettie wrote:2) Don't like the redesigned plug suit, i loved the 2nd plugsuits of Mari and Asuka (especially Asuka) from 3.0. I loved how the color scheme went with the purple. Now though, it's just different shades of pink.

I's possible that the images are unfinished and that's there's still some post-process lacking (with the light effect or color distortion because of the plug's UI for example) and that's why the leg area looks pink instead of black?

View Original PostSettie wrote:4) If it sticks, i like the new plug UI, it's more of a 360 degree vision compared to it being limited to what an Eva can physically see.

It was already like that in 3.0, Asuka and Mari's plugs already had this holographic UI with 360°view during the scene in space. (EVA-13 and Mark.09 had them too btw)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:37 am

I'm liking the vibe of fixed up with some spare forks we had around...
A lot of what WILLE does seems to be improvised or downright scratching the bottom of the barrel...
I mean, Asuka's plugsuit was held together by frickin' duct tape!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:01 am

They must be forced to send Unit 08 out before they have time to repair it. It doesn't have any mechanical parts grafted to it like Unit 02 did. Those crane arms are mounted directly onto the armor
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Something I didn't noticed before : 08's feet received additional armor, not even painted, which reinforce my idea that this whole contraption is a temporary stopgap while WILLE is repairing and possibly preparing an upgrading for 08.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:40 pm

I agree with everyone who are saying this scene will probably be heavily changed and altered for the actual movie - but it's nice that we got something. At least we're out of the void that we were in for the last few years regarding eva news.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am

Mari definitely got a new plugsuit in the teaser

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:36 am

For a minute there I thought this was a collection of Mari's weird boob flops. Good to know her plug suits are still up to her standards.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:51 am

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:51 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:For a minute there I thought this was a collection of Mari's weird boob flops. Good to know her plug suits are still up to her standards.

I would have chosen better frames :P  SPOILER: Show

I dissected the teaser a bit and I found something.

First, the video quality is low even for YouTube's standards: 1280x720, 1219 kbps. :uhh:

Second, they used the torchlight footage for the Sun and the smoke footage for the flames of the rifle arms (the shot clips they posted on Twitter months ago), I'm not sure if the gas to move the arms is purely CGI or not.

Third, there are strings attached to Unit 08 (to its new belt and antenna) parallel to the ground like the one that moved the Wunder fleet in 3.0

The obvious explaination would be that Unit 08 isn't falling but flying and that the Wunder is nearby. Is the scene supposed to be a defense from an attack of some sort? Maybe from some Mark.04A? (the one that can fly powered by an AT Field)

I guess that a possible scenario is Gendo attacking the Wunder fleet using some Mark.04A a short period of time after the events of 3.0, and a quickly fixed Unit 08 sent out to defend the fleet. A rifle was strong enough to stop the Mark.04A in space so Unit 08 would be equipped well enough I'd say.

I also tought they were wingtip vortex but it doesn't really seems logical for that to disappear depending on the angle

SPOILER: Show

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:06 pm

It's official then: Evangelion has become a puppet show :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”