Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Evangelion Final: 2020

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am

I would say it’s a given the 2020 release year as been chosen in part to celebrate the 25th Anniversary. They could spend the whole year celebrating EVA@25 and make it a large part of the marketing for the film.

Also, while I’m positive they could have hit a 2019 release date if they wanted choosing a 2020 release pretty much gives them all the time in the world to finesse the film & get it right. The curious thing is when in 2020 will it be released?
Will they go early in the year (Jan-April?) or will they try to release it in the summer even though they may have to directly compete with the Olympics (July 24 - August 8th) & possibly a new Hayao Miyazaki movie (Toshio Suzuki said they’re aiming to release around the time of the Olympics so that leads me to believe a Summer 2020 release for that film) which will undoubtably be the biggest Japanese film of the year OR will they go with a late 2020 release to coincide with the original airings of NGE (aim for an early October release).
So many options....

The theorizing still continues....

EDIT: I also think US shores will see a theatrical run of FINAL very soon after the Japanese release date. It will most likely be exactly like the one Funimation gave for Shin Godzilla in 2016 where screenings were held nationwide a mere three months after the Japanese release date. A Blu-ray release should also hit US shelves relatively quickly this time as well (my guess would be about a year post Japanese theatrical release) unlike the kerfuffle of 3.0’s release. Why? Two reasons:
1. Funimation & theaters have caught on to the niche market of theatrical anime releases & the “Special Anime Film Screening” model is up & running. The US distributor knows a theatrical run for (most) anime movies will be a lost cause. It costs money to run a film in theaters & is especially costly if you’re taking over an entire auditorium for days & even costlier if you’re taking an auditorium over during the weekend. So instead they’ve build up the system of renting a few special screenings in theaters nationwide for a night or two - usually Tuesday & Wednesday, the cheapest nights to do so - and trust the dedicated anime nerds will flock to those one or two shows because they have to or they’ll miss it. Thus, the anime distributor makes a cool profit - i.e. Make over $8million in tickets off a Dragonball movie without giving it a proper & costly theatrical release - off the fewest shows possible and spending very little in distribution costs. This is not something that existed when 3.0 & the previous films came out. Now it’s pretty regular. Almost weekly in my area.
2. Having Toho & Toei as distributor helps give the movie the boost it needs to further in international distribution.

So yeah, don’t expect to go your local multiplex and catch a showing of Evangelion Final anytime of the day like you would Marvel Movie #51 BUT I think if Evangelion Final say come out in Japan in Summer 2020, you’d be able to buy a ticket to special screening in October or November of that year.

Fingers crossed.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm

There are two independent cinemas in Oxford that have done short runs of new anime films in recent years (alternating sub and dub in one case), so I'm sure I'll be able to get to see an Eva film in a theatre for the first time ever...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 pm

^

But will you get in the seat unspoiled... My biggest fear right now is getting spoiled, ideally I would want to get in there "virgin".

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

With the nature of things these days, I think a social media blackout would be necessary to avoid spoilers :sweatdrop: I've been randomly spoiled on plot elements of films I didn't even care to go see simply because of Internet memes. But, your mileage may vary. I've considered going spoiler-free for Shin Eva—Depends how I'll feel once the trailers hit in 2020.

I'm 90% certain Alamo Drafthouse will come through and show Shin Eva since they've U.S. screened the other films (and tend to screen various anime films every so often—sometimes with sub and dub options—too).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:41 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The theorizing still continues....

EDIT: I also think US shores will see a theatrical run of FINAL very soon after the Japanese release date. It will most likely be exactly like the one Funimation gave for Shin Godzilla in 2016 where screenings were held nationwide a mere three months after the Japanese release date. A Blu-ray release should also hit US shelves relatively quickly this time as well (my guess would be about a year post Japanese theatrical release) unlike the kerfuffle of 3.0’s release. Why? Two reasons:
1. Funimation & theaters have caught on to the niche market of theatrical anime releases & the “Special Anime Film Screening” model is up & running. The US distributor knows a theatrical run for (most) anime movies will be a lost cause. It costs money to run a film in theaters & is especially costly if you’re taking over an entire auditorium for days & even costlier if you’re taking an auditorium over during the weekend. So instead they’ve build up the system of renting a few special screenings in theaters nationwide for a night or two - usually Tuesday & Wednesday, the cheapest nights to do so - and trust the dedicated anime nerds will flock to those one or two shows because they have to or they’ll miss it. Thus, the anime distributor makes a cool profit - i.e. Make over $8million in tickets off a Dragonball movie without giving it a proper & costly theatrical release - off the fewest shows possible and spending very little in distribution costs. This is not something that existed when 3.0 & the previous films came out. Now it’s pretty regular. Almost weekly in my area.
2. Having Toho & Toei as distributor helps give the movie the boost it needs to further in international distribution.

So yeah, don’t expect to go your local multiplex and catch a showing of Evangelion Final anytime of the day like you would Marvel Movie #51 BUT I think if Evangelion Final say come out in Japan in Summer 2020, you’d be able to buy a ticket to special screening in October or November of that year.

Fingers crossed.

Funimation is giving Dragon Ball Super: Broly dubbed theatrical screenings a mere month after its Japanese theatrical debut. It's possible we could get a theatrical run very soon after 3.0+1.0 comes out in Japan. DB's making money hand over fist right now so I'd guess it comes down to whether or not Funi thinks there's a big enough demand and how much Khara is willing to work with them.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:46 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:But will you get in the seat unspoiled... My biggest fear right now is getting spoiled, ideally I would want to get in there "virgin".

I don't care about spoilers, indeed, on the whole I welcome them! - that way I can enjoy the working out and presentation without getting blindsided all the time. It's just the way I prefer to take things in.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:57 pm

“Spoiler Material” is the least valuable aspect of any narrative. If the overall strength of a narrative relies solely on when information is conveyed (and not things like how, or by who, or why, or it’s context, or literally anything else), then you have a completely forgettable story on your hands.

That all having been said, I think I’ll still attempt to watch Shin Eva as unspoiled as possible. It just makes the hype leading up to the film more fun for me this time around. (I totally spoiled myself on Eva Q prior to watching it, and loved every minute of that too.)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:05 pm

About that debating the quality of Rebuild thing, since it's off topic, I will just shortly say that I think characters can be reimagined, future iterations don't need the same characters and don't even need to be character centric. And Rebuild is special to me, in fact I like it more than Gunbuster or Nadia. Let's agree to disagree.
I didn't say any BS though.

About the Olympics thing. People are saying the Olympics are the reason the movie will come out in 2020, for maximum profit. I think it's totally fine if khara wants to make the most money. I'm here really hoping the movie will come out january though lol
SPOILER: Show
or they change their mind and release it next year......one can dream right?

Btw, are y'all ready to see the Eva cast be Olympics mascots?

I personally don't want to see the film in a movie theater, I wanna see it at home.
I wonder, if I had the opportunity to see it in a theater, if I would be able to resist. I hope so. I just know watching it at home will be a better experience for me.

I'll need the bluray. AFAIK the 1.0 and 2.0 took like one year to come out? That's scary...lol. But 3.0 was 5 months, I suppose the wait will be something like that.

I'll try to stay spoiler free. Even if I were to know about some plot element before, that doesn't take away all the things I don't know/haven't seen.
I guess I want to experience the film as the first audience member would.

I see what pwhodges is saying, sometimes going into a story blind can be jarring, but in general I have been on the same wavelength with Anno's work, I'm positive I'll enjoy the film.
I wonder how I would have reacted to the 3.0 twist had I not know about that.

I imagine this forum will hace its no-spoiler policy like with 3.0?

@Freaky: I think spoilers might change your first time viewing, which people want to remember fondly.
Although your first time viewing will be unique either way.
But yeah, spoilers aren't at all the most important aspect. I too knew a lot about 3.0.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:47 pm

I just want this thing end so Anno can move one from Eva.
Rebuild is by far something I want to forget and never revisite Again in my life, hope that is not linked to NGE in any form.
I really can't trust in Anno when it come to Eva, thank god for his Godzilla than show me than thus guy can still make content that I can enjoy.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:I just want this thing end so Anno can move one from Eva.

I am somewhat in agreement, I do think he let Eva consume too much of what should have been his prime years as a filmmaker. I want this last film to tie the whole thing together, and I'm going to go into it with low expectations. I do want to see him finish these films so he can do something different and hopefully new. If it's more like live action Cutie Honey, or Shin Godzilla, I am fine with that.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:43 am

Is it wishful thinking to hope for a simultaneous international release? I get the feeling avoiding spoilers for FINAL will be even harder than it was for Q....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 am

∆ If it is with subs I think it might be possible.
But I have a feeling they'll focus on Japan first..
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:38 am

I'm happy we got this rough release date as a surprise, but I'm not sure why they chose to rush this seemingly unfinished teaser out instead of waiting a bit longer :huh: Not like anybody would've noticed...

Regarding an international release, I'm sure we will get to see this movie in theatres worldwide relatively close to the Japanese release. In Germany, we now have regular anime event nights in a lot of cinemas where they also show new movies with subtitles. It's pretty safe to say distributors won't miss out on one of the most hyped anime movies of all time (especially with two VERY large production companies behind 3.0+1.0 who are certainly aware of the international market, too).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:59 am

View Original PostDemonSpade wrote:I'm not sure why they chose to rush this seemingly unfinished teaser out instead of waiting a bit longer :huh: Not like anybody would've noticed...

The Asuka in space 3.0 teaser (from Summer 2011) wasn't anymore polished, so this one with Mari didn't really bother me.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:38 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:I just want this thing end so Anno can move one from Eva.

The problem is that he "moves on" in between movies and it makes the whole thing drag. I would have been happy with the original schedule and idea of a light adaption of the show. It's as if he drove himself in a corner and then lost interest in the whole project.

I really hope that 3+1 will make sense and not pull some kind of pre-movie cliffhanger like 3.0 did by throwing out of context crap at our face without any explanation on prior events. It's like J.J. Abrams' mystery box but one thousand times worse, and I'm not a fan of these things when it doesn't deliver in the end.

This whole rebuild thing has been a very frustrating experience for me.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm

3.0 didn't necessarily need to explain things though, not being the end of the story. And Evangelion has never explained much.

I'm being completely honest when I say I hope the last film manages to be as or even more shocking and mind bending as 3.0 was, and I wouldn't mind if things like the 14 year gap aren't filled in (unless the film needs that). I just want a good story that makes thematic sense.

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:50 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH !!! :w00t:
Hum.. sorry... I'll take my pills.

Damn, I don't know if I must jump around my room while shouting wy love for Eva or cry because we'll have to wait two infernal years to get Final. Oh well, I'll do both at the same time.
However... I don't want to play admin but please, Rebuild haters (or if you prefer, "people that don't like Rebuild as much as the original series and films"), could we just discuss calmly about Final and not start a war about the quality of Rebuild ? There's already a topic for that.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:46 pm

I can't believe it will be 8-years by the time Final is out since the last film :um:

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Is it wishful thinking to hope for a simultaneous international release? I get the feeling avoiding spoilers for FINAL will be even harder than it was for Q....

Yeah I don't see it happening, best case scenario would be a sub Western limited theatrical release a few months later.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:15 am

Trailer is up:
https://youtu.be/-xezMJ2s50E
Which is great of them.

They were also threatening with legal action over the cinema capture of this video on social media. Which they have the right to do, but IMO is overdoing it.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 am

They clearly published it because it got leaked and viral extremely fast, and I can see why are acting this way, but did they really believe it wouldn't happen?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”