Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 am

I hadn't thought of the Toho/Toei collaboration positively affecting international distribution. That does make sense and seems hopeful for a same-year US theatrical release.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:32 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Big reason I don't think there will be any major delay between a Japan & theatrical run - unlike the past three films which were essentially independent productions distributed by small Japanese distribution studios, this final film has the two Japanese big dogs Toho & Toei behind it. They have the money, power & connections overseas to get things done quickly and for a good price.
It sounds like on the previous films Khara was crossing every T & dotting every I in their negotiations with Funimation to make sure they got the best financial deal and that's partially what took so long. With Final, Khara has probably already gotten well paid and are lined up to secure a nice paycheck when Funimation buys (or has already bought) the rights.

So the same studios behind DBS: Broly... sounds like the odds are in our favor for a quick international and dubbed release. You brought that up in an earlier post too IIRC.

robersora wrote:I've watched Q without knowing Japanese in Japanese theaters. It was a mesmerizing experience.

Thankfully EVA is full of rich visuals which make following the gist of the story a bit easier, sounds like something worth experiencing a some point.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm

View Original PostZQFMGB wrote:Well, it depends. I don't really see a point in cross-shaped explosions though.

Symbolizes death
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 am

Eh. Fair enough I guess.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Netflix just announcing they have Worldwide streaming rights to Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death & End of Evangelion (HD streaming in Spring 2019... though this COULD kills the chances of any US Blu-Ray release depending on what rights Netflix owns) makes me think they’ve got their eyes on FINAL.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 pm

^ I was just going to post this after seeing the trailer. If they bought the rights, maybe they will stream rebuild once it's complete. Not to mention that buying the rights would also probably go to the funding of Final itself. All in all, not seeing a problem unless they try to make a live-action adaptation at some point...
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Well, Netflix now owns the streaming rights to NGE.
The rights to Rebuild are owned by a different distribution company so that’s a whole different business deal.
I guess a big factor is how much longer does Funimation own the rights to the first three Rebuilds & are they willing/have they renewed for FINAL?

Anywho, key thing is the world will finally get to see Eva in HD but this most likely kills the chance of their being any physical home video releases of the old series outside of Japan.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm

^ Well, that is a good question, though with Netflix having the rights to NGE, it may be a deterrent to Funimation renewing their interests in NTE. Though, Netflix does distribute some of its series on DVD, so there still may be hope for one massive collectors edition of NGE+D&R+EoE+NTE in some "ultimate super-dee-duper deluxe collectors edition with LCL inside" that comes out, because companies love a good money grab.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 am

Netflix is all about being a Content Wall. You want to see what’s on their service you gotta pay for it. Even their handful of home video releases for their Original Series - mostly all generation one shows with a few exceptions for later titles like Stranger Things & The Punisher - are more marketing for buying a subscription.

A physical media release really does all depend on what deal Netflix made with the Japanese distributor. Still, HD Eva with subtitles will be amazing and at least Netlflix can’t slap “A Netflix Original” on it like they did all of Little Witch Academia which is never getting released to disc. My hope is their deal is Streaming Only so another company like Funimation can come in and buy the rights so a fancy physical release can still happen one day. Wasn’t their talk that Khara wasn’t giving the Original Series a physical media release until after FINAL was fully complete - ie. played in theaters worldwide and on home video in Japan at least? That would give Netflix a window of practically two years on the series.

Anywho, I’m still thinking Funimation will get FINAL because they have the rights to the previous three films still and their relationship with Toei & Toho - the distributors of FINAL - seems strong because of this new Dragonball movie.

Either way, hopefully Eva hits Netflix in late March or early April so I can work an HD viewing around my birthday.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:23 am

I believe the NGE movie (EOE or The Feature Film) may be getting a worldwide theaters run next year in Spring too by the way. At the beginning of this month the italian publisher of NGE/Rebuild/bunch of Anno stuff at a panel said they have an open slot in May for a movie they can't announce yet because of negotiations still in play, but they asked us to "pray the angels" for the contract to be signed.

Finger crossed for the Blu Ray release.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:51 am

Have seen the Netflix teaser too. Best thing that happens.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:41 am

This is really good news! NGE hasn't been readily available in the US through legal means for quite a while now.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:18 pm

^ I like how you added in "legal means" :rofl:

Gendo'sPapa, I agree and hope Netflix only has the streaming rights, and if Funimation has to give up the streaming and/or film release rights in order to release a box set, I would be fine with that :)
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:28 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Gendo'sPapa, I agree and hope Netflix only has the screaming rights

Can Funimation at least own the Shouting rights? :wink:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:51 pm

^ Goddamned motherfrakking autocorrect! :argh:

All fixed btw, my bad for not proofreading

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:13 pm

One reason why Netflix while having NGE might not get the Rebuilds or the rights to FINAL - Apparently the international distributor of the first three Rebuilds, Nippon TV, also run Hulu Japan so it's unlikely they'd want to give those titles away to a direct competitor. Unsure about Final since Toho & Toei entered the game but Netflix won't shell out top dollar for just one fourth of a series if the other three films require people to go visit another service.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Does Netflix have an option for Dub/Sub? I dislike the eng dub with a passion. Also y'all think they will have EOE on netflix eventually?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm

There's a thread for this elsewhere but the Netflix deal includes End of Evangelion so that'll be available for streaming in Spring 2019 as well.
Also Netflix provides multiple languages & subtitle options for pretty much everything on their service. You'll most likely have the option to watch NGE & EOE in Japanese, English, Spanish, German, French, Italian and a few others as well.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Yeah, we just don’t know WHICH dubs they’ll be. It’s weird for me because I love all of the original English dub cast memebers, just not their work in that show.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:52 pm

^ Well, they only have One Punch Man's sub, so we may only get the sub.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”