What directors would you like seeing tackle Evangelion in the future?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

What directors would you like seeing tackle Evangelion in the future?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am

After the Rebuild is over, I'm positive khara will let other directors give their take on Evangelion, and Anno even mentioned he'd like Eva to become the next Gundam.
Other than this giving us potentially good works, it would also keep the franchise alive in current memory.

I think I'd love a small series by Kunihiko Ikuhara (Utena).
There's so much potential in Evangelion for abstract storytelling and use of symbolism, and Ikuhara is a master at that. He is also very sensible to current social issues. I also love his color schemes and shot compositions. I love it just imagining it.
Ikuhara is now busy with his own new show Sarazanmai.

Your choices don't need to be "realistic" necessarily.

(I hope we also get to know younger khara staff better. The Animator Expo had good results, it would be great having some of these people have their own OVAs or films and potentially do Evangelion).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: What directors would you like seeing tackle Evangelion in the future?

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am

Gen Urobuchi and Kazuya Tsurumaki are the first names that come to mind for me
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

If something like this really happens, a live action movie is pretty much inevitable. So... Del Toro. I believe he is the only director capale of pulling it off
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Yeah I want it to be live action as well, that said I can't think of any directors that are still alive that could have a similar vision.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 pm

As long as it ain't Zack Snyder, JJ Abrams, or Rian Johnston. :irked:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 am

Rian Johnson I think was actually doing something similar to Eva in the sense that he was subverting expectations, putting Star Wars conventions on their head.
I would have liked him to go even farther though.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:As long as it ain't Zack Snyder, JJ Abrams, or Rian Johnston. :irked:

This thread is not for soapboxing about people in Hollywood you don't like. If that's all you're interested in doing, Film and Video is that-a-way.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:This thread is not for soapboxing about people in Hollywood you don't like. If that's all you're interested in doing, Film and Video is that-a-way.

Sorry about that.

Anyway, I think if George Lucas had been in his prequel trilogy mode nowadays because of all the meetings Gendo has with the committee about Instrumentality and the comparison there with all the politics going on in the PT trilogy of Star Wars plus CGI up the wazoo for all the action battles which I personally didn't have a problem with, that would be a potentially lethal dose needed to give Eva the proper LAEM treatment. Plus his way of handling whiny leads like Anakin complaining about sand sends tones about how he would handle Shinji! :D Too bad he's sort of retired ever since Lucasfilm went to Disney...
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:32 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:...and Anno even mentioned he'd like Eva to become the next Gundam

Oh dear...

Part of me is fine with nobody else picking up Evangelion and simply letting the franchise survive on its existing merits and the fantastic efforts of everyone involved in both the original and the Rebuild as well as Anno. Whilst the other part of me would love new and frequent content, I fear it could lead to disaster, having seen other much beloved series be given wrongful treatment under new direction.

I have no specific directors in mind, though. Perhaps just somebody who cares enough about the franchise to handle it with care.
Last edited by Gazdakka Gizbang on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Divine Emperor
Embryo
Location: A wild weird clime that lieth, sublime, out of Space, out of Time

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:27 pm

View Original PostAmbiant23 wrote:Yeah I want it to be live action as well, that said I can't think of any directors that are still alive that could have a similar vision.

Alfonso Cuaron would be a good choice, I think.
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Imagine Evangelion written by Urobuchi
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

Kenza59
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kenza59 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:31 am

The only one I could see doing that job relatively well would be Urobuchi, but I think it's better if there wasn't any remake of it ; with different people, in a different decade, it could only be radically different, and thus most of the fanbase would feel alienated. I think it would be better for them to make their own great anime instead of trying to remake something that was writted by and for someone else.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:01 pm

and thus most of the fanbase would feel alienated

Precisely this is the problem though I think.
There should be more open mindedness towards new works in franchises.
Why be angry at something that isn't trying to be NGE for not being NGE?
I think it's partly what Anno is preparing people for with Rebuild.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 am

I'd be incredibly anxious about the way that other directors would handle Eva, although I did enjoy the altered manga version so there's every chance that a new spin could be refreshing. I'm stuck in a weird state of hoping for a Western Eva adaptation and hating the entire idea of that at the same time due to the track record of Western adaptations of the past.
I do love me some Rei guns.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Ari Aster, Hereditary dir. definitely. He does such a good job of conveying true terror and discomfort, and clearly has a penchant for using all-practical effects when working with live action.

Shane Acker is another one, director of the CG horror thriller no one went to see, 9. He's excellent with visual storytelling, the first 15 minutes of the film being without dialogue but getting it's messages and world-building across perfectly fine, and his gritty visual style matches the grotesque imagery of Neon Genesis Evangelion so well.

Another director I'd like to see take a shot is Alex Garland, director of Annihilation. Yet another genius with visuals, but a master of the otherworldy, and seems to have a thing for unholy fusions of man, beast, and steel, also showcased in his film Ex Machina.

View Original PostAkko wrote:Imagine Evangelion written by Urobuchi

Oh GOD no. I tried so hard to watch his 2 part Godzilla Netflix thing and it was a travesty. So visually bland and boring, so little use of colour. I actually fell asleep watching it.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:05 am

So visually bland and boring, so little use of colour.

Urobuchi is only writing those, the rest he isn't involved with AFAIK (I quite like them).

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:21 pm

That'd be cool if Tomino did a version of the series but I could imagine it being absolutely nuts.

Tsurumaki would be a great choice too. Yuasa of course as well, though I imagine his would be even stranger than Tomino's somehow...
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 pm

I’m right there with anyone calling for more abstract or surreal directors for tackling Evangelion, but my top pick for the next big Eva director would actually be Hayao Miyazaki. (Because we all know he’ll never really retire, right?) I mean, I know it would be like asking Akira Kurosawa to direct The Matrix, but are you gonna seriously tell me that you wouldn’t watch that movie either? The movie would be all sorts of “wrong” for the franchise but it would still be an outstanding and stunningly surprising movie and if anyone didn’t like 100% of it, then that’s an indicator that they’re dead inside.

Hideaki Anno would be cast as the voice of Shinji Ikari, of course.

Ultimate pulling on the heart strings. 10/10; would have this movie running on a loop for the rest of my life.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:41 am

He did Nausicaa, so he can go pretty dark actually (and Nausicaa of course wasn an Eva inspiration).

fnikhall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fnikhall » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 am

I feel like David Fincher could do a pretty good live action Evangelion movie. His work is great and he does a good job of being able to translate a feeling of loneliness or eeriness or alienation to film via visual story telling. Big fan of his work and he handles dark or odd subject matter really well.
"Just 'cause you feel it
Doesn't mean it's there" – There, There. Radiohead

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”