Behind Asuka's Eyepatch (Purely Speculation)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Armisael
Armisael

Behind Asuka's Eyepatch (Purely Speculation)

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I chalk this up mainly to a dream I had last night and speculation on whether or not this might come true.

I have this theory now that Asuka has literally a white nothingness behind her eyepatch much like for example the taxi driver from Home Alone 2. Let me explain, I know that during moments of emotion it glows and shows a blue retina but I think that's only during those times or perhaps I need to watch the movie again. I gather that in Final, Shinji might have a moment of confronting Asuka and he accidentally rips the eyepatch out and Asuka shows that she has the absence of anything behind what used to be a perfectly working eye. Again purely speculation and a dream I had but worth talking about.
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Behind Asuka's Eyepatch (Purely Speculation)

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:31 pm

One thing we know is that the eyepatch has angel-sealing glyphs on it, so it is reasonable to assume some level of known or suspected remaining angelic contamination.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Why do I have to deal with these Titans as well as Angels? (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gus Hanson
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Right because I do remember in my dream the word "contamination" being repeated throughout Shinji and Asuka's confrontation as well as the eye glowing blue which is the color pattern of the Angels.
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Asuka's visible iris glows while beast mode is active, so presumably the blue glow beneath the eyepatch is the other still-intact iris similarly glowing.

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am

It glows when she calls Shinji a brat for the first time too.
So I think the implication is the glow is somehow linked to emotion.
I don't know what the eyepatch is symbolizing in the bigger picture though, other than her being a worn warrior.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”