Mildly NSFW question about the cast of EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

Mildly NSFW question about the cast of EoE

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:21 am

In the late 90ies, when the Internet was still a novelty accessible mostly at universities, I entered an uni and soon got attracted by free access to, uhm, resources. Of course the lab's regulation was explicitly banning accessing such resources and of course this was exactly what I was doing there in my spare time (and I wasn't the only student doing that). It didn't take much time for me to get to Asian resources, as they were kinda... aesthetically pleasing. And of course one name soon topped in my forbidden archives, and of course it was Maiko Yuki.

Today, out of pure nostalgia I've run a search for Maiko Yuki to see what's she doing (apparently she plays golf recreationally) and I've been somewhat surprised that she has bio on the wiki (considered for deletion, oh my). So I've thumbed it and at the bottom I found that note saying she had a role in The End of Evangelion

WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK (literally). Can someone confirm this, and if so, where does she appear, or can be heard onscreen? (Assuming her role wasn't a cameo in the real-life sequence.)
JUSTICE & MERCY

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Mildly NSFW question about the cast of EoE

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 am

I cannot confirm one way or the other whether or not this particular person made an appearance in the film. This is the first time I've hearing of this person's existence, honestly. However, there are some quick shots that do contain live-action nudity in EoE, so I would assume that, as a nude model, she could have been hired to fulfill that role in the movie.

The first shot appears towards the end of the Kom Susser Tod scene. As the voices of Misato and Rei begin to address Shinji, the film, shows us a series of sexualized images fade in, out, and superimposed over each other on the screen. Some of them are drawings, but one or two are live action shots of a completely nude woman. (I forget if the shot was of her on all fours or of her covering herself. Either way, it was shot in such a way where nothing explicit is displayed by the model quite yet.) The shot is heavily filtered so as to give it an extremely limited color palette, but the shot itself behaves as though it were a hand-held camera shot. As soon as Asuka finishes her off-screen line about rather dying than doing it with Shinji, the film shows us a live-action shot of a woman's eye being pulled open. I would assume that this would be the same model as the person we saw only seconds earlier. After the piano begins playing Bach, there are some longer takes of a swing set and a city. Somewhere between those shots, the film cuts very quickly to several extreme close-up shots of a woman's breast and her bare nipple. (One shot appears as though she is either sitting or standing upright, the next seems to have her leaning forward, as her breast leans towards the bottom of the screen.)

This woman's face is never shown outside of the extreme close-up of her eye right at the end of Kom Susser Tod, and I'm not, uh.... "familiar" enough with Maiko Yuki's work to recognize certain areas of her body on screen. So I cannot visually confirm whether or not that's her. But, since she's a nude model, and since there was blink-and-you'll-miss-it nudity in EoE, I would bet actual money that Maiko Yuki does perform the fleetingly brief nude segments in the live-action sequence.

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:After the piano begins playing Bach, there are some longer takes of a swing set and a city. Somewhere between those shots, the film cuts very quickly to several extreme close-up shots of a woman's breast and her bare nipple.

The two shots right before the swing, in fact.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 am

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:So I've thumbed it and at the bottom I found that note saying she had a role in The End of Evangelion.

Interesting, if true :chinscratch:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:However, there are some quick shots that do contain live-action nudity in EoE, so I would assume that, as a nude model, she could have been hired to fulfill that role in the movie.

Someone had to, makes the most sense to me.

I'll bet the Gainax boys enjoyed that day of production.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:04 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I'll bet the Gainax boys enjoyed that day of production.

Heh, I did read once an interview with photographer of nude models and he stated explicitly that his job is a hard piece of work. He even gave an example of some novice in the craft who wanted to take care of lighting and he couldn't hold a spotlight, cause his hands were shaking that much. :tongue:

Blue Monday wrote:Interesting, if true :chinscratch:

Yeah. If this happened to be true...

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:After the piano begins playing Bach, there are some longer takes of a swing set and a city. Somewhere between those shots, the film cuts very quickly to several extreme close-up shots of a woman's breast and her bare nipple.

eldomtom2 wrote:The two shots right before the swing, in fact.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:As soon as Asuka finishes her off-screen line about rather dying than doing it with Shinji, the film shows us a live-action shot of a woman's eye being pulled open.

Thank you two very much! I wasn't aware of these particular shots at all. And I honestly thought that this eye-closeup depicts Director Anno himself – since it's immediately followed by a shot of empty cinema room, which I think is the worst nightmare of any movie maker, ever. As you can guess, my interpretation of the "I'd rather die..."-line was that it's a heavy metaphor of fear of being rejected by the audience. :D
JUSTICE & MERCY

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:08 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:As soon as Asuka finishes her off-screen line about rather dying than doing it with Shinji, the film shows us a live-action shot of a woman's eye being pulled open. I would assume that this would be the same model as the person we saw only seconds earlier.

I always assumed it was footage of Miyamura. It accompanies the end of Asuka's line, and the eye is channeling Asuka from the earlier kitchen scene (staring down coldly). Might be cut down from footage in the full-length live action sequence, but I really don't want to sit through that right now to confirm/deny.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

^ There have been rumors floating around that Miyamura had also been involved in adult videos very early on in her career. While I cannot confirm to deny those claims either, it would still seem like an odd thing for Miyamura to be asked to do for a production that seems to have a nude model already hired for the task.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ There have been rumors floating around that Miyamura had also been involved in adult videos very early on in her career. While I cannot confirm to deny those claims either, it would still seem like an odd thing for Miyamura to be asked to do for a production that seems to have a nude model already hired for the task.

I was saying that I thought the closeup of the eye was of Miyamura's, rather than -- as you suggested -- being of whoever was used for nude photography.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Maybe. That could certainly be a thing.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm

since it's immediately followed by a shot of empty cinema room, which I think is the worst nightmare of any movie maker, ever. As you can guess, my interpretation of the "I'd rather die..."-line was that it's a heavy metaphor of fear of being rejected by the audience. :D

I really like this take on it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”