Some interesting details about Asuka

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

bowen_shi
Embryo
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 17, 2018
Gender: Male

Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bowen_shi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:38 pm

SPOILER: Show
Image

Above picture: from episode 15 5:41. So Shinji was looking at Rei,but who was watching him?
SPOILER: Show
ImageImage

Above pictures: from episode 15 18:45. We can see after the kiss was ended by Shijji, Asuka’s arm was still frozen in the air. Then she rushed into bathroom. Notice the shadow in her face. She hid her true feelings.
SPOILER: Show
Image

Above picture: from episode 16 7:42. Before Misato’s order, Asuka has moved to Shinji.
SPOILER: Show
ImageImageImageImageImage

Above pictures: from episode 16. When Misato gave the order to retreat, we can see Asuka was going to reject the order, but interrupted by Rei. Rei said ”Unit 01 and Ikari are still here”. It’s interesting that Rei was not following the order. It’s more interesting to notice Asuka’s reaction in her face. Now you may understand why Asuka just said “What? Is my bad-mouthing of Shinji that much of a problem for you?!”in the last picture.
SPOILER: Show
Image

Above picture: from episode 16 20:43. Some people think Asuka is jealous of Misato’s fondness to Shinji. I can’t deny that but still, you can see after the battle, Asuka rushed off to check Shinji’s status right after Misato.
SPOILER: Show
Image

Above pitcture: from episode 18 6:43. When Asuka was complaining Shinji, her foot was waggling lively. Body language can’t lie.
SPOILER: Show
Image

Above picture: from episode 22. We know at this time, Asuka found Shinji and Rei were chatting and said:” He was melted into his Eva for a whole month until just the other day. What’s with him? He’s totally back to his usual thing again.” I don’t think Asuka was jealous of Shinji’s quick recovery. I mean, come on, they live in the same house, study in the same classroom, and she can only find his recovery until seeing him with Rei after some days? That’s a little odd for me. I think here reveals Asuka’s concern about Shinji during the last month, and jealous of Shinji and Rei’s relationship. And of course, being exceeded by Shinji.
SPOILER: Show
Image

Above picture: from episode 22 20:59. It’s a surprise for us that Shinji appears in Asuka ‘s mind with this positive look at first. How many times we can find Shinji is that happy during the whole series, especially in front of Asuka? Maybe this is how you view a boy you like in your mind, I guess.

In conclusion, this is how a girl student in love looks like. I don’t care whether is “ love ”or not. At least for me, knowing that someone values me so much in her mind is enough.
Last edited by bowen_shi on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 1575
Joined: Feb 03, 2013
Location: Germany again, before that Spain
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Yup, there's lots of subtle stuff like this in Eva!
Honestly never payed attention to the episode 18 thing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Cruel
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 19, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Cruel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Nice analysis here.

As much as Asuka hides her feelings for Shinji, to not appear weak in front of others, the more she doubts herself what Shinji means to her, when they both are hindered by their fears and therefore never got to know the essentials of love and living, thanks to their parents.

And it only serves for selfish men and women who dared to be above Gods and Angels.

To make them initiate 3I and live for the rest of their days as the last remaining humans, to never get to know about humanity existing again in aeons from evolving out of the primordial state, is the ultimate sacrifice to save what's left in the face of the universe.

Image
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1963
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm

That is the best detailed reasoning behind the argument that Asuka loves Shinji, or at the very least cared deeply for him. I never noticed that Asuka saw Shinji happy in her mind, and you are right to point out that he was not always a happy camper, and I don't ever recall him smiling around Asuka, save for one or two times. For her to think of that memory above all others about Shinji considering how she outwardly treats him, she must love him.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FelipeFritschF
Adam
Age: 22
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 12, 2014
Location: Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Late to the party, but yeah, these are great details. Asuka would never admit it, but she's very concerned for Shinji.

PenPen4life
Embryo
Posts: 43
Joined: Apr 07, 2018

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 am

To make them initiate 3I and live for the rest of their days as the last remaining humans, to never get to know about humanity existing again in aeons from evolving out of the primordial state, is the ultimate sacrifice to save what's left in the face of the universe.

Image

How is this misconception still going on.

Yui literally says all life can choose to return. The adam and eve theory is the eva equivalent of the birther conspiracy. It directly contradicts what we are directly told:
Rei:
"Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves in their own heart."

Yui:
"All living things have the ability to return to their original form... and the heart to go on living."

Yui literally says everyone can choose to return. The sacrifice, the possibility of pain is outlined here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-Q5mH6EaM
I will eventually be betrayed

but
i wanna see them again.


Gendo's "selfishness" is literally rejected by someone who had the power to remake the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQaafNForNs

Not only is your assumption regarding the state of humanity unfounded and directly contradictory of what we are literally told. it also would be an utterly awful narrative choice that completely disregards what the last 30 minutes of the movie set up.

Inferring a message is nice, but inferences should be based on the material you are making inferences about, not headcanon.

The Cruel
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 19, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Cruel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 am

^
You can’t be sure that Shinji and Asuka ‘ll still be alive to witness humanity to come back.

And even if it takes a strong will for humans to come back, it doesn‘t mean that this will happen so easly and in any moment.

Time and Space are too fucked at this point.

The last time all of life on earth could evolve out from the primodial state into a stable state before 2I and 3I took aeons.

Humanity will never get to know that Shinji and Asuka had ever existed.

It‘s the same as them being buried alive.

Shinji and Asuka are death stranded.
Last edited by The Cruel on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 10122
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:14 am

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:And even if it takes a strong will for humans to come back, it doesn‘t mean that this will happen so easily and in any moment.

But nor is there any specific justification for your extremely pessimistic view.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Such an angelic fascinator you're wearing, Shinji! (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Cruel
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 19, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Cruel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:44 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But nor is there any specific justification for your extremely pessimistic view.


For a pessimist I feel myself as good as a optimist can ever be.

Because I don't have any hopes that end up being false.

All this talk about hope, forgiveness, happiness and love is like thrown into the wind in contrast to the horrors that happen in Eva.

Image

...And therefore  SPOILER: Show
You can (not) hope


Like it ever deserves to be any better.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

PenPen4life
Embryo
Posts: 43
Joined: Apr 07, 2018

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:^
You can’t be sure that Shinji and Asuka ‘ll still be alive to witness humanity to come back.

Sure I can, the climactic choice Shinji makes is between "seeing his friends again" and "avoiding betrayal". Not "living without the rest of humanity" or "everyone dying". The former is not only directly implied but it also was built up to for the entire series whether it be the train scenes in the first episodes or yui noting that gendo was scared. The latter is an edgy plot twist that undermines everything else we've seen in the story.

And even if it takes a strong will for humans to come back, it doesn't mean that this will happen so easily and in any moment.

Strawman, No one said it would be smooth or instantaneous. You're just assuming, for no reason, that "in any moment" means "the remainder of Shinji and Asuka's life"


Time and Space are too fucked at this point.

Another assumption. Stop making assumptions, show me what in the show you're referencing when you come to these conclusions

The last time all of life on earth could evolve out from the primodial state into a stable state before 2I and 3I took aeons.


Humanity will never get know that Shinji and Asuka had ever existed.
"Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves in their own heart."

It‘s the same as them being buried alive.
Shinji and Asuka are death stranded.

Because you want them to, not because of anything that happens in the actual script.

You can (not) hope
'You are entitled to your world view. But when your worldview directly contradicts what is expressed in a story's climax, it's best to not project yourself into the source material, imo.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 61
Posts: 20245
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm

And people said that I was being pessimistic, back in the day...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

PenPen4life
Embryo
Posts: 43
Joined: Apr 07, 2018

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:And people said that I was being pessimistic, back in the day...

WTF? LOL.

Why would lynchers/rapists be the first ones to find the will to live?

Why would Asuka and Shinji just lie their all day long?

Why would Asuka, established as a fantasic marshal artist just let ppl fuck with her?


So many random ass assuptions that don't even make sense lol. Nice people tend to be less insecure than mean people and would likely take less time to reject suicide.

And no lol, that's not the "upside" version, that's the version where you make all the worst assumptions that the likes of Gendo made, ignoring that the climax of the film has Shinji refuse to make the same assumptions. Looooool.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 181
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm

View Original PostPenPen4life wrote:How is this misconception still going on.


You can partly blame TV Tropes for presenting that misconception as the standard interpretation of the scene.

Anyway, to actually talk about Asuka and Shinji, to me it's pretty clear how they feel about each other, but I sure wouldn't call them a healthy couple. Shinji's so introjected ge can't really read between the lines with people, and Asuka deliberately obfuscates her feelings, both out of the defensive mindset they share. Maybe in a universe where their relationship was given time to actually grow they could have become good for each other, but Eldritch Horror is rarely good for relationships.

Also women really tend to not like you once you've stroked your goat over their comatose body.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests