Steven Universe general

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Steven Universe general

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 am

I'm surprised this wasn't already a thread, seeing as how there are so many similarities in themes and tone to the first half of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

So, uh... yeah, we need to talk about A Single Pale Rose.
SPOILER: Show
I've seen a lot of people confused online about what exactly this episode meant with the whole Pink Rose thing. Some think Pink and Rose are two separate Gems, some think that one never really existed and that the other was a sort of alter ego.
Here's what I've pieced together; Pink Diamond is a previously unheard of Gem type. She somehow attained Diamond status and was able to live with the other Diamonds. Upon finally getting her own colony, Earth, she fell in love with the planet, and decided to try to keep it from the Diamonds and their plans to destroy it. However, she didn't want to just outright take it for herself and her army turned civilization in the Crystal Gems, so she devised a plan to disguise herself as one of them, and start a rebellion against herself. Somehow, she was able to change the orientation of her Gem to become a completely different Gem type. In order to end things quickly before it got too out of hand, she had Pearl shift into her, while she became Pink Diamond, and was 'shattered' by Rose. Infuriated and terrified at the power Rose had to be able to just shatter a Diamond (which is actually impossible using her sword, as Bismuth explained),
Yellow, White, and Blue decided to flee, but not before combining their powers as light-based beings to corrupt the remaining Crystal Gems by overloading their own light with the combined light of three Diamonds, thus, the Corruption Event. Rose used her shield to save the Gems physically and emotionally closest to her from the photon blast, as seen in Your Mother and Mine. As to how the Cluster factors into this, I think it was put in the planet by the Diamonds when they noticed that Earth was being overrun by Crystal Gems too quickly for them to fight normally. I do believe Pink may be some sort of hybrid experiment thing going on created by the Diamonds and taken in as their daughter.

As for Rose herself,
I've noticed parallels to Jesus Christ. Pink DIamond decided to try to live as a regular Gem on her colony to see what it was like,
and so gave up her form as a Diamond and shifted into a normal Rose Quartz. I think that working and exploring Earth as Rose was what caused Pink to fall in love with the planet in the first place. Which is interesting, because the way the Cluster is talked about and the mechanics behind it seem very much like a fetus in a womb, so it may even have been Pink who 'impregnated' the planet she loved with the Cluster, for... some reason. Yeah okay this theory's shit fuck it.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Steven Universe general

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 pm

I always felt all four of the Diamond Authority were sisters, though their relationships haven't been flat-out stated just yet.

That episode reveal was definitely wild (Apparently all the people theorizing it all these years were happy—I've just been personally taking in the show as it comes) and I'm looking forward to the new episodes. Summer's promo looks like it'll be interesting with Garnet splitting from the shock!

I still can't believe how CN's Drawing Podcast leaked images/footage (later half of season 5? Stuff in season 6? Nobody knows yet BUT it spoils a certain direction the show is going within the span of 5 seconds :sigh: ) and the Crewniverse is totally in the right to be upset—That said, I'm super excited to see how the footage will tie in with the Pink Diamond episode :derp:

I won't spoil the leaked stuff for anybody here, that's easy enough to find with Google.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I still can't believe how CN's Drawing Podcast leaked images/footage (later half of season 5? Stuff in season 6? Nobody knows yet BUT it spoils a certain direction the show is going within the span of 5 seconds :sigh: ) and the Crewniverse is totally in the right to be upset—That said, I'm super excited to see how the footage will tie in with the Pink Diamond episode :derp:

It's almost funny in a twisted sort of way just how poorly Cartoon Network is treating arguably it's best [from a quality standpoint, Teen Titans GO! is so insanely profitable it hurts me]. Like, I'd understand if it was JUST only having real physical releases in one country on the entire planet (like seriously? Australia, of ALL PLACES? That's like the one country besides North Korea to never get anything), or if it was JUST the occasional small leak every now and then, or JUST a few story-ruining leaks here and there, or JUST a sporadic, unpredictable release schedule, or JUST hardly ever airing episodes that aren't new and instead airing the same thirty episodes of TTG over and over for the rest of eternity, but all of those things at once to the infinity power, holy shit. Like, if this is anything like what Nick did to Korra, I would like to profusely apologize and offer my condolences to any and all Korra/Avatar fans or even just casual watchers, Jesus INRI Christ.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 pm

I think CN didn't offer an apology about that (all they did was remove the Podcast, but as you know, nothing leaves the Internet once it's uploaded...). Definitely crappy on their part.

I'm hoping to sometime do marathon of the series all over again, because dang, "A Single Pale Rose" seriously recontextualized everything :bigeyes: I'm just...wondering when in the "Summer" the new episodes will air. Nothing's on the SU reddit(s), from what I can gather. I just hope Cartoon Network's version of Summer doesn't mean September, since lots of the SU episodes are finished a year before, they're just at the mercy of when CN will air them :sigh: For reference: There was a new song recorded in September 2017 and its respective episode hasn't aired yet!

I have plenty of things to keep me busy, I just hate that CN doesn't appreciate such a great show like Steven more, you know?

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:41 am

Get hype. 5 night Steven event starting July 2nd. Unless they just postpone (would not be shocked).
https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-the-next-ste ... 1827135381
2 promo vids available.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:15 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:Get hype. 5 night Steven event starting July 2nd. Unless they just postpone (would not be shocked).
https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-the-next-ste ... 1827135381
2 promo vids available.

Oh thank fuck. I've been on edge since A Single Pale Rose, I'm really interested to see where this goes, even though I already have a general idea because of CN's titanic spoilery fuckup involving two certain Diamonds a few weeks back.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 pm

My face after today's incredible half-hour episode: :jawdrop: My new desktop wallpaper is a super epic (SPOILERS!) group image: https://www.reddit.com/r/stevenuniverse ... shot_ever/ :heart:

And now that the episode's aired with the end promo showing off future episodes (date announcements at Comic Con, I hope?), I can safely share Cartoon Network's epic Podcast fuck up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofT1QP2ca0

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 am

Steven Universe probably is the best & one of/if not the most important thing on TV right now. I'm loving how now that the show has built up it's fanbase and can take risks as it enters the third & final act that they're just embracing how queer positive it its. The wedding is so full on Pride - people can still argue they're rocks devoid of gender but the show has gloriously leaned into being honest about what they're saying - that Disney & other studios making kid friendly entertainment need to step up their game when it comes to non-hetero representation. No more "There's a bisexual person in that new Marvel movie, we just don't say it".

Glorious show. The newest episode feels like it could almost be a series finale but I figure/believe they have at least one more season of story left to tell. A lot of the character stories feel like they're wrapping or were wrapped up in this newest episode but these writers find genius ways to make the same issues pop up naturally. Plus Lars is still in space trying to get home & most likely they've saved White Diamond to be the final baddie... who of course just needs someone to crack through her hard shell and make her FEEL.

Great show. Glad to catch up on a slow Friday night.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 am

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE???

HOW LONG UNTIL THE NEXT EPISODE? ANOTHER HIATUS?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:04 pm

I just hope Comic Con will give us an inkling how long we have to wait, argh! :sigh:

{Mother/Goddess figure???} White Diamond as the final antagonist would be super interesting and I wonder just what Steven and co would have to do to "get through" to her. I like the theory that
when Peridot and Lapis unpoof
, they'll be Crystal Gem status (= stars on their outfits), that would be great :3

A peaceful resolution in a series finale wouldn't be surprising at all, with the nature of this show and the note Reunited ended on. I have mixed feelings about the show itself because I want the plot to progress and I feel "townie episodes", while fun, tend to take away from the plot progressing at times? Partially because the Steven Bombs are so fleeting as is.

I've wondered for some time now if SU would ever get as dark as shattering a main Gem rather than them just poofing...that would certainly be heavy stuff (maybe too much for a kid's show?) Speaking of, did anybody feel the hands popping up from
The Cluster
feel like an Eva reference? I didn't think so myself, but some fans speculated that.

This concept art for The Cluster definitely felt like Eva, it's a shame it wasn't used, but it's certainly crazy:
Via https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Universe- ... 07175NTFC/ I don't own this myself yet, but damn, I want to support the show more!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:01 pm

I don't feel the show is ever going to get dark nor does it need too. Long ago when it started and I was getting the vibes this would be one of the first US shows to heavily take their story influences, themes & structure from anime I was confident they were going to "shatter" one of the main Gems to advance the story - I was pretty damn adamant Season 1 was going to end with Garnet's death - but as the show has progressed it's become clearer the narrative Rebecca Sugar & her staff are working towards isn't that kind of narrative. When all is said & done and you can marathon it, Steven Universe is likely not going to be a show about overcoming great evil but about empathizing with others to solve situations.** I personally find it hilarious when I poke around the fanbase to see a large portion anxiously anticipating for the "Big Action Arch" when the punches will get thrown, the super powers will be used to crush the enemies and lots of SERIOUS death happens.... only to then have the show point out it's not that kind of story.

Peaceful resolution seems like the only correct way for the show to end. The writers continue to surprise me so maybe they will go down the route of "some people are so corrupted that they can't be empathized with no matter how much you want too" & Steven will have to do what his Mom didn't & shatter someone... but most likely I expect the show will end with a big grasp for empathy and everyone hugging it out.

Now if only Cartoon Network could stop screwing around & air the damn finale of Adventure Time....

**The show is so much about empathy they even have Blue Diamond use it as a weapon, being able to stop others by making them feel her emotions. Of course that allowed my favorite Lapis to be the coolest/saddest where she stands up tall & goes "Yeah, I've been through worse".

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:06 pm

YES, that Lapis moment was incredible. I like all the Gems (Pearl's probably my personal favorite while my favorite fusion is Sardonyx) but Lapis breaking through her emotional pain was perfect!

I forgot to say this in my last post, but I'm amused how the "Crewniverse" gave Cartoon Network UK a hell of a lot of work in even attempting to censor Garnet's wedding :smirk: Apparently, over there they've gone chopping block happy for various scenes in SU (most infamous is probably the Pearl and Rose fusion/dancing) and supposedly Adventure Time (skipping several non-graphic episodes of Finn being armless, for instance)!

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Get ready for Greg to save the day. No diamond can resist the Universe.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:40 pm

I nearly died at that part in the yesterday's episode :lol: (Something something "Greg fucked a Rock Diamond" :rofl: )

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 pm

That entire arc was all I've wanted for the past four years. My favourite part, unquestionably, was "I've felt worse". Such a badass line, that also works as a way to show people with depression or anxiety that they can use their horrible past or present as a strength.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 pm

SSD's twitter linked this quiz:
https://www.whichcrystalgemareyou.com/quiz

I got Peridot. This is adequate.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:35 pm

With the newest episode:

having the core cast go to Homeworld to try & align with White Diamond really helps drive home the feeling that the series has entered the final act. I would guess there’s maybe one full season left and the recently just announced Steven Universe: The Movie will act as a set-up of events between Seasons 5 & 6.

I think there’s a good chance Steven Universe could end in 2019. Then again, with the eclectic schedule Cartoon Network has put the series through they could easily stretch it out until 2020 or beyond. I mean, Adventure Time held their Final Wrap Party in the Fall of 2017 but the last season has been stretched out enough that the Series Finale doesn’t air until September. Projects key members of the AT crew jumped on after the show ended have already started airing.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:53 pm

The latest episode (Legs From Here to Homeworld) is up on the CN app! To quote the kids today: "I'm shook". SDCC folks are lucky they got to view it early!

It's a little thing by now, but I was especially happy to see that damn podcast image leak finally happen in this episode. I'm a little disappointed the episode length was back to the 11 minute format instead of another full hour, but hey. Good content in this one :heart:

It'll be interesting if The Movie (to air on Cartoon Network, we don't know when yet) will continue from here, or if we'll have to wait another season for the movie, or what.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The Movie

I do hope that is the simple answer as to why they have released such an underwhelming amount of content over the past year. After bingeing through the first four seasons in a few months, and getting into season five, the slow pace of production just turned me off entirely, I figured I would wait until they started pumping out episodes at a decent pace, but they never did. If they were diverting resources to this movie, that would explain the lack of content.

Zeruss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:20 am

I've loved these last few episodes! The pacing has been fanstastic, and everything getting explored/expanded upon I've really enjoyed (lore, characters, relationships, reveals)--I specially liked 'Reunited' because, damn, what a spectacular watch that was... though also because I really like the Diamonds :nyao:
I'm a lurker at heart.

Return to “Film and Video”