Consumerism at its most laughable

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Consumerism at its most laughable

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:52 pm

OK everyone here knows all about the PS3 situation. You all heard about how people stood in line for days just to get one. And how they cost a couple thousand dollars on e-bay right now because you won't be able to get one anymore for a long while.

So I walk into Best Buy this morning to pick up volume five of My Hime and the first volume of FMP: The Second Raid when I past by the Playstation area. Sitting on the shelf was six PS3's. And they actually had several more in back. So remind me again about how hard they are to get and why they are selling for over twice their original cost on e-bay. :lol:

I would feel sorry for all the suckers who stood in line or doled out copious amounts of cash to get one if I wasn't laughing so hard. :lol:

And no I didn't buy one. There is no way in hell I am going to pay $600 for a video game consule. I may be half off my rocker but I am not stupid.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:41 pm

Somehow I'm guessing that's not the case elsewhere.

But still, the whole thing is crazy. I think that the friendliness of the Wii launch compared to the PS3 shows the difference between the types of people who buy the two consoles :).

What really gets me, though, is the Tickle Me Elmo TMX madness. I know someone who's flipping those things on Ebay for over $100 apiece. It's not even a fun toy, as far as I can tell! People just think that it must somehow be the best thing for their children, since it's "in demand" (read: intentionally understocked).

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:26 pm

I stopped trying to buy any game system. As soon as I do a newer and better one comes out.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:33 pm

I don't buy consoles, I buy games. I'll buy a Wii so I can play Twilight Princess. I bought a Dreamcast (my last system) for Crazy Taxi and Shenmue. So I'm not really too concerned about having the most powerful system, more about playing the games I want to.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:04 pm

drinian wrote:Somehow I'm guessing that's not the case elsewhere.

Yeah.... I did an IP trace, and looked up his city to find it had a population of 3,700. Not too big, which makes sense. The PS3s probably should have been sent to a more populous area.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:26 pm

You IP search skills are not very "l33t" Mr. Monkey. The town I live in is a suburb with a population over 30,000 and the town where that Best Buy was at has a poulation over 50,000. And the Twin Cities area put together has a population over 2.8 million.

Plus there is the fact that while the release of the PS3 was limited to 400K that was only the release. By the end of the year another 600K will be out on the shelves so it won't be as hard as people think to find them. I wonder if this was all just a ploy by Sony to increase sales and get the gullible to hand over their money faster.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Sony? Prey on the gullible? Never!

This VGCats strip seems appropriate:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=212

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:12 am

What gets me is why folks rush to get game consoles when they first come out in the first place. First Edition: complete with bugs!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:46 am

Reichu wrote:What gets me is why folks rush to get game consoles when they first come out in the first place. First Edition: complete with bugs!
Couldn't agree with that statement more.

I usually wait for at least a year after a consule has been released to buy it. That way most of the bugs are gone and the system is cheaper. Plus from what I heard the Chrono Cross/Trigger sequel won't be coming out on the PS3 for a long time and right now that is the only game that could influence me enough to buy one.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:07 am

I don't buy consoles, period. If I wanna play something, I get the PC version.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:22 am

I don't think there's a PC version of Devil May Cry.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:38 am

I'm too busy playing my old video games to bother with any new ones. :P

Besides, Gradius VI, the one game that had me interested in the PS3, has officially been cast into development hell. :x
Last edited by felineki on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:42 am

Let's be honest here, it's not really surprising people do stupid shit like this. When they have to return them due to massive bugs I shall laugh my ass off.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:09 pm

http://lolzifatyomommainaclubinz.ytmnd.com/

lol
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Mundane wrote:I don't think there's a PC version of Devil May Cry.

The case is the same with StarCraft: Ghost, or will be. But I sincerely hope that they won't be naughty and obey the almighty consumers... we/they are right for once... :P
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:55 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha that's the single worst game ever conceived. I'd much rather play Aerogauge for the N64 or just go sniff some ammoniak.
DMC1 - mediocrity at it's most boring. DMC2 - abysmal, laughable and saddening. DMC3 - plausible. It's the only franchise I'm following sheerly out of spite.

EDIT: I mean it. DMC2 was such a debacle that I lost all hope for gaming for a good two years, until MGS3 came along and set me straight again.

My favorite part was in the end; Lucia is dying for some reason and they go on about some stones or amulets or some shit that they haven't finished gathering to stop whatshisface. First I rolled on the floor a while, inable to comrehense the stupidity before me, and how the fuck they could make this game so goddamn incoherent. But after a while, the effect sank in and the market lost an avid customer.
This is why I'll sneer and spit at games like Viewtiful Joe and Okami, which are just repackaged DMC's.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Kaysow wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha that's the single worst game ever conceived. I'd much rather play Aerogauge for the N64 or just go sniff some ammoniak.
DMC1 - mediocrity at it's most boring. DMC2 - abysmal, laughable and saddening. DMC3 - plausible. It's the only franchise I'm following sheerly out of spite.

EDIT: I mean it. DMC2 was such a debacle that I lost all hope for gaming for a good two years, until MGS3 came along and set me straight again.

My favorite part was in the end; Lucia is dying for some reason and they go on about some stones or amulets or some shit that they haven't finished gathering to stop whatshisface. First I rolled on the floor a while, inable to comrehense the stupidity before me, and how the fuck they could make this game so goddamn incoherent. But after a while, the effect sank in and the market lost an avid customer.
This is why I'll sneer and spit at games like Viewtiful Joe and Okami, which are just repackaged DMC's.

No, and yes. Yes to DMC2, a failure.

Faußtin wrote:

The case is the same with StarCraft: Ghost, or will be. But I sincerely hope that they won't be naughty and obey the almighty consumers... we/they are right for once... :P

That game will never come out as long as World of Warcraft continues to prosper.

Guaranteed.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

CyborgZeta
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CyborgZeta » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:48 pm

Reichu wrote:What gets me is why folks rush to get game consoles when they first come out in the first place. First Edition: complete with bugs!
Haha, that's usually true. Of course, Nintendo's consoles are very reliable. Think: The people who purchased their Wii at launch and have problems make up a pretty small minority compared to people who had problems with the Xbox 360 and PS3 at launch.
"Without courage all virtues lose their meaning." - Winston Churchill

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”