What are your thoughts of a Steven Universe/Evangelion crossover?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Mr.Lock387
Embryo

What are your thoughts of a Steven Universe/Evangelion crossover?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Lock387 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Ever since I saw that little Eva reference in a episode of Steven Universe, I had a question stuck in my head: "How would a crossover between these two work?"

I would like your thoughts on this crossover idea.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: What are your thoughts of a Steven Universe/Evangelion crossover?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 am

I've actually thought of this in the past. It would certainly be interesting. On the surface level, it would work since both Angels and Gems' bodies are essentially made of light, both focus on a protagonist who's lost in the world, and both feature heavy themes of motherhood and family. Going deeper, I think Steven would really be able to help a circa ep 9 or 10 Shinji, who still has hope, but is definitely in need of support that really no one he knows can give. Steven is a natural optimist and mediator, who easily empathizes with others, and is in a similar situation, having lost his mother and being forced to take on her unfinished business.

Many of the other characters are similar as well, Pearl and Misato are both mother figures with poorly-concealed feelings of inferiority, Asuka is similar to both Amethyst and Peridot in personality and mannerisms, and Kaji is like Garnet, in that both are cool-headed natural leaders (although Garnet has started to become more soft and human lately). SEELE and the Diamonds are obvious, and the Corruption Event that ended the Gem War is pretty much the same as Second Impact, just with less of an influence on humans.

I definitely think this could work, given that the writer fully explores the shared themes between both narratives.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Sorry for necro-posting in a thread that's over a year old, but I have the most amazing crossover idea that I just have to share. The other day my friend and I were coming up with potential RP scenarios, and one of the scenarios we came up with was for a crossover between Steven Universe and Evangelion. It wasn't a hard crossover though, like with the characters from both series interacting, but rather more of a soft crossover that uses certain lore elements from Evangelion and incorporates them into Steven Universe. We thought of the perfect way of blending the Evangelion and Steven Universe lore together, and having it tie in with the history of the Gems. Here's what we came up with:

When the First Ancestral Race created the seven Moons, they scattered them throughout the universe to seed planets with life. The Black and White Moons both landed on Earth, but whatever happened to the other five Moons? One of those Moons, known as the Grey Moon, came to land on the planet that would eventually become the Gem Homeworld. From the Grey Moon emerged a being quite similar to Adam and Lilith, which I'll just call the Grey Giant of Light for now (if you can come up with a better name for it, please share it). Much like Adam and Lilith, the Grey Giant of Light also had her own Spear of Longinus. It was an age before even the first Gems of Era 1, which the historical records of the Gem have little information on and simply refer to it as Era 0. Eventually, an Impact-like event occurred, causing Homeworld to become cracked and shattered like we see in the present day in Steven Universe. It is unknown what caused this Impact-like event, whether it was due to the Grey Giant of Light coming into contact with organic beings that possessed a Fruit that was the opposite of its own, or something else entirely. As a result of the Impact, the Grey Giant of Light became split into four beings, the four Diamonds we know in Steven Universe: White Diamond, Blue Diamond, Yellow Diamond, and Pink Diamond. The birth of the four Diamonds marked the start of Era 1, and they would go on to create the first Gems. Among the Diamonds, only White Diamond still has vague memories of their time as the Grey Giant of Light and what it was like before Era 1, while Blue, Yellow, and Pink Diamond remember nothing of it.

The only remnant of that era aside from the Diamonds themselves that still remains is the Spear of Longinus that had belonged to the Grey Giant of Light. The Spear of Longinus is now in the possession of White Diamond, who keeps it stored inside her Gem and can summon it in battle as her weapon. Studying White Diamond's the Spear of Longinus eventually led to the development of the Gem Destabilizer technology that is present on Homeworld now. White Diamond was confirmed by Rebecca Sugar to play a part in the creation of all Pearls somehow, so all the Pearls having spears as their default weapons could be seen as a subtle visual reference (which Evangelion loves to do) to the weapon wielded by their supreme leader and creator White Diamond. If Homeworld were to ever come under attack by Angels or other beings possessing AT fields, all White Diamond would have to do is summon the Spear of Longinus from her gem and throw it at them. If the Spear of Longinus were to be lost in space like what happened against Areal, retrieving it would be a simple matter for a space-faring empire like the Gems, who could use one of the many hand or arm ships at their disposal to grab it and bring it back to her. Aside from White Diamond, the other three Diamonds, Blue, Yellow, and Pink, are the only other Gems capable of wielding the Spear of Longinus. This would mean that it's possible for Steven to potentially wield White Diamond's Spear of Longinus as well.

When coming up with this scenario, one question came up that really had us thinking, what type of beings would the Gems be classified as? Would they be considered Fruit of Life beings, or Fruit of Knowledge beings? Their gems function similarly to the S2 Engine of Fruit of Life beings and they can fire energy based attacks like Angels can, but the Gems also possess higher intelligence and advanced technology like Fruit of Knowledge beings. Perhaps the Gems are Fruit of Life beings, but in a greatly reduced form. The Grey Giant of Light would have been capable of creating Fruit of Life beings on the same level as Angels, but after it was split into the four Diamonds, the Fruit of Life beings they could create were on a much lesser and weaker level, so much so to the point that Gems coming into contact with organic Fruit of Knowledge beings such as humans would not cause an Impact-like event, hence why Steven is able to exist. What kind of beings do you guys think the Gems should be classified as? I'd love to hear Reichu's thoughts on this, since I know she is familiar with the lore of both series. Here's another thought: if Steven and the Diamonds were to fuse together into something akin to the Grey Giant of Light, could it possibly lead to an Impact-like event, since Steven has an organic component to him? Maybe the Gem version of Instrumentality would be all Gems in existence fusing together into a single Gem being.

So what do you all think of these ideas? Do they sound interesting? Anything you might want to add to them?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 22, 2020 7:38 pm

There are pretty obvious (well, obvious to ME) parallels between Steven and Kaworu that could hypothetically be used as a basis for... something.

Steven: Half-Human, Half-Diamond
Kaworu: Half-Lilin, Half-Adam

Steven: Gem Homeworld Matriarch-Colonizer, reborn as a boy
Kaworu: Human Homeworld Matriarch-Colonizer, reborn as a boy

Steven: Loves everyone to a fault
Kaworu: Loves everyone to a fault

Steven: Is identified with cats (Cookie Cat, Cat Steven, etc.)
Kaworu: Is identified with cats (see: unused concepts; manga)

Steven: Lives at the shore
Kaworu: His surname means "shore"

Steven: His dad likes giant women
Kaworu: His dad likes giant women

Steven: Turns into a towering pink monster
Kaworu: Turns into a towering pink monster

Okay, some of these are more serious than others, but you get the idea.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There are pretty obvious (well, obvious to ME) parallels between Steven and Kaworu that could hypothetically be used as a basis for... something.

Speaking of Steven, what do you think would happen if Shinji and Steven were to ever meet? Would Steven be someone who could help Shinji, like maybe to discover some self-worth? Shinji could really use a Steven.

Return to “Fanfiction”