[Merch] Evangelion Illustrations 2007-2017

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
tism
Embryo

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Illustrations 2007-2017

•      
  •      

Postby tism » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Went to the Eva Exhibit at Anime Matsuri in Houston. Managed to pick up the Illustration 2007-2017 book plus the Exhibit book. Both are great.

Exhibit book
https://flic.kr/p/25NEkz5
https://flic.kr/p/25SuGEr

I haven't even cracked the plastic on the Illustration Book yet. :D
https://flic.kr/p/25NEmEm

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Okay, I finally received the Limited Edition of the book, so I did a review today! In addition to talking about the extra stuff that comes with the Limited Edition, I also explained a few interesting things about some of the pictures, including a hidden tribute to an animator who passed away last year. So I hope this review will be a good read even if you already have the regular edition of the book. I made this new post for it on my book review thread.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 am

Checking it out now!
I didn't know that animator had died, that makes it very sad. It's nice they have made a tribute.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Yes, very sad. Shoichi Masuo did key animation for the Evangelion TV series, Death & Rebirth, and the End of Evangelion, and was also a key animator and special effects director for the New Theatrical Edition (AKA "Rebuild") of Evangelion. He worked on many other anime titles, too. It was nice for the book to include a tribute to him.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

I had never heard of him before.
But he was there since the beginning, it makes sense the made a tribute to him.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Got my copy from glorious amazon.co.jp that only takes 40 hours from shipping notification in Osaka to being in my hands.

This book is basically perfect. Sure some pics could have been given a full page, but on the other hand it is indeed super comprehensive. I've been doing my best to keep up with all the official artwork over the years but there's still some in this book that never made it to the corners of the internet that I linger in, so it's great to finally discover it. Also great is that each image's illustrator is credited right on the page and not in a bloated index at the back of the book. I also like how it's all neatly arranged by source of illustrations (magazines vs eva store vs UCC etc.)

I wonder if they'll do a 2.0 update some years down the line to update it like they did Die Sterne, or will we get a new artbook covering the last era of Eva? Probably a 2.0. Kinda doubtful they'll produce enough new material to warrant a whole new book.

Definitely a fantastic buy, especially at only 3,000 yen.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 am

I agree the book is awesome. The best thing in it is probably the Kaji dakimakura. I did not know that existed. lol

They could make a 2.0, but I'd prefer either a smaller new book dedicated to the 3.0+1.0 era, or a book at some point (maybe in another decade?) collecting all the art that will inevitably keep coming.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

I just ordered this from Japan a few days ago and it's preparing to ship. I feel really stupid right now.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:04 am

Why change the name to make it incorrect.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:46 pm

I've noticed lots of artbooks tend to be titled that way ("Art Of ____"), or semi-incorrectly. Even some Final Fantasy Ultimania artbook releases are different from Japanese (Final Fantasy 25th Memorial Ultimania) to English (Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive) (though that's probably to distinguish how the Japanese release was a 25th Anniversary book).

I might have to pick this up if it's getting a U.S. release, though!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 am

I heard VIZ just got the rights to this and are releasing an English version next year. I already own this in Japanese and am fine with that but just in case anyone was interested as no doubt Forbidden Planet will stock it.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1047896884583571456
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”