Rebuild outside of Evageeks: Many reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Rebuild outside of Evageeks: Many reactions

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:16 pm

A lot of people like stories that focus on the characters. And for someone like that Rebuild isn't going to have any hook for them regardless if it has Evangelion in its name
I don't exist then. :bigeyes:

(I do feel Rebuild is just as centered on characters, as a film series it just tells that story differently. With 3.0 for example, I don't think there is a single scene that doesn't contribute in that sense.)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Once again the fanbase is really really diverse. There are probably plenty of people that felt we've already had the series with its dark turn and didn't want to see a repeat of that in Rebuild. It's worth reiterating not everyone likes the same things about this franchise. You can be a fan of a certain character and not like the dark turn, you can enjoy the intellectual honesty of how terribly making unstable kids pilot mechas would really end, you can just enjoy that EoTV AU segment and hate everything else about the franchise. You can't simplify what makes an Eva fan.

I think it's clear for what he's said Asuka'sBigBrother is a character fan and Rebuild just doesn't have a hook for him so I don't get this whole dogpiling that happened. His opinion is right for him and your opinion is right for you. Ultimately Reichu's advice is the best way for everyone to handle it.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I try not to worry about it too much, since "people" is just an amorphous blob created by our brain's need for generalization. All that really matters are the opinions of people you respect, like your friends, since those actually mean something. Everything else is just noise.

In short you do you and let everyone else be themselves.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:.
I don't exist then. :bigeyes:

I'm not trying to chew anyone out here I'm just trying to get everyone to realize fandom is a really complex thing
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 pm

I realize that, was just making a lil joke.
But yeah, I love Eva for the characters and love Rebuilds.

I don't think anybody here has a problem with people disliking Rebuild (and they shouldn't), but as a project clearly made with love and care, and some undeniable technical merits, I think it deserves to at least get the chance of fair analysis.
I just don't think describing Rebuild as an utter failure makes sense or contributes much.
Negative criticism is fun, and I've been guilty of this countless times myself.
But recent years I've noticed seeing something's merits is more fun than just seeing is flaws, and I think Rebuild deserves that.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:59 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: @DarkBluePhoenix Thanks for your input. Do you feel that Eva Q was an overall bad movie? Or do you feel that Eva Q just doesn’t provide a good stopping point before Shin Eva continues the developing narrative?

It wasn't a bad movie by any stretch. But it did have some narrative issues and massive plot holes that if things had been done differently, a Fourth Impact may have been avoided, which considering how much older (and supposedly wiser) everyone is, it should have been avoided. As mentioned multiple times on the forum, and something I know I've mentioned before, no one explained anything to Shinji, he was just told he wasn't piloting and to never pilot again. He was never told what happened in the 14 years between when he disappeared and when he was brought back from Unit-01. He's not even told that the world was destroyed, or that Misato and Co. aren't with NERV anymore, and that NERV is now the enemy. He's left entirely in the dark, and had they set aside some of their anger and told him enough, perhaps he would not have followed Rei into when NERV attacked the Wunder. And Misato forgetting she egged Shinji on to rescue Rei, and subsequently cause Third Impact, and then blames him entirely by finally listening to her seems to be dodging some of the blame for what happened. None of that has particularly sat well with me.

kuribo-04 wrote:I just don't think describing Rebuild as an utter failure makes sense or contributes much.

Well, you can't call something that's incomplete an utter failure until you see it as a whole. Hopefully Final will exceed all expectations and be wonderful.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:15 pm

To someone the story utterly fails to connect with it would be a failure. Yeah sure, on a certain level why are you here, but ultimately perspectives are weird things. I'd personally feel sorry for them being suckered in by nostalgia and not enjoying what they were given.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:no one explained anything to Shinji, he was just told he wasn't piloting and to never pilot again. He was never told what happened in the 14 years between when he disappeared and when he was brought back from Unit-01. He's not even told that the world was destroyed, or that Misato and Co. aren't with NERV anymore, and that NERV is now the enemy.

But there are good reasons for all of that - adding up, simply, to time. First they had to be sure he was genuine; then they were attacked. They started talking to him, but just didn't have the time to get anywhere before Rei came for him - unexpectedly; they didn't know they had to hurry!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:35 pm

^ Yet they had time to explain what the DSS Choker was and that he was a danger to humanity. He did ask what was going on, but wasn't told anything. Even a brief explanation instead of the DSS choker mishegoss would have been a better use of time. The real reason he wasn't told anything is because of plot, but in-universe, they're just letting their hate get ahead of their common sense.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:42 pm

I can smell where this is going.

Let's not and say we did. Thanks.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:40 am

We're drifting here, from how the films have been received elsewhere to something closer to thread/7773/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-2/ -- so TOPIC, BITCHES
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 am

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Here's an article I saw about Final, it seems the wait looks odd to everyone, and just seems to be taking way too long, and the writer's bet is that we won't get it before the decade is out. The same writer also wrote previously that Final would probably never be made. Guess that first assumption was a bit off...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am

It isn't that odd to me, but I'm also a Nintendo fan, which means not knowing even about the existence of a big Super Mario game until 5 months before its release (Mario 3D World in this case).

I'm guessing since the wait was so long they'd rather start marketing when they have something solid, a trailer to show, instead of something more vague like the first 3.0 teasers.
2 years or more for an animated movie seems reasonable to me (we've reached the 2 year mark).

And I don't understand the movie not being made thing.
Even if Anno didn't feel like doing it, somebody else would do it.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 03, 2018 12:33 pm

^ Yeah, when I saw the article about it not being made, consider the gaps between the first three films, a gap of considerable length was really a forgone conclusion before Final would have been released.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 03, 2018 12:40 pm

He's creating traffic for his site.
Seems to work.

Either way, my view on the long gap between 3.0 & Final has always been that's it acceptable one because Anno has been prodigiously busy. It's just not been Evangelion busy. He spearheaded a new 35 Short Film series to showcase animators idiosyncratic views. He wrote & directed a great live-action feature film. He's been producing independent films from other live action Japanese filmmakers.

He took a much needed break from Evangelion after working on the Rebuilds pretty much nonstop from 2005(ish) to 2012.
Either way, Final will either be a surprise late 2018 release (unlikely at this point) or a 2019 release (very likely).

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 pm

^

For being Eva and because of 3.0, no one has to wonder why FINAL takes so long to be made. And looking back how things progressed, it's even less surprising.

3.0 marked the end of the actual story and the beginning of a story about "The End after The End", that 'll happen with FINAL.

Making 3.0 and FINAL is the same as making 25, 26 from NGE and making EoE for Anno. He wasn't sure how it becomes, so it was right for him to take a break from Eva for once and working on the Animators Expo and Shin Godzilla was like rehabilitation.

For now it only matters that it's made and no matter how it 'll be, it can only be accepted as it is and everyone has to deal with it.

It wasn't different with NGE, it won't be different with Rebuild either.
Last edited by The Cruel on Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Either way, my view on the long gap between 3.0 & Final has always been that's it acceptable one because

To me it's acceptable either way. Anno owes me nothing.
Whenever I have payed for one of his products, I got my money's worth, I haven't payed for the last film yet.
I guess you could see it from the POV that the reason I even bought any Rebuild products is that the idea of a four film saga attracted me, and Anno thus owes me that fourth film, but I don't think that makes a lot of sense.
He could have been taking a 6 year nap, more power to him.

I agree that since he's done such great work in this time, there really is no reason to complain.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu May 03, 2018 2:37 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:It isn't that odd to me, but I'm also a Nintendo fan, which means not knowing even about the existence of a big Super Mario game until 5 months before its release (Mario 3D World in this case).

Same. Im pretty sure one of the things that toughened me the most for waiting for Final was the wait for BotW (got into Zelda far before I got into Eva)
argh grammar
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:50 pm

It's the same for me actually. :P

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:To me it's acceptable either way. Anno owes me nothing.
Whenever I have payed for one of his products, I got my money's worth, I haven't payed for the last film yet.
I guess you could see it from the POV that the reason I even bought any Rebuild products is that the idea of a four film saga attracted me, and Anno thus owes me that fourth film, but I don't think that makes a lot of sense.
He could have been taking a 6 year nap, more power to him.

I agree that since he's done such great work in this time, there really is no reason to complain.

Well, as we know, EVA is emotionally draining on its creator, and I presume that working on it again brings him back to the place he was when he originally created the series. While its nice that he has continued to work on the property, if it takes him a while to keep everything straight in his head by taking a break between working on it and doing other projects, I'm all for it, Final will come out eventually, and I'd rather have Anno be able to work on other projects rather than focus on one work that pushes him to the brink. It would be selfish of us to think otherwise IMO.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Sun May 27, 2018 3:52 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:At the superficial level, the current state on /a/ is roughly that 1.x is forgotten, 2.x is regarded as pandering to Reifags, and 3.x an overcorrection for Asukafags and Kaworufags that came about because Anno felt that his waifu and husubando had been losing badly to Team Blue.

While there may be some occasional shreds of insight, most of the talk is tribal clashes between the anti-Shikinami and anti-Rei factions.

>anti-Shikinami
>anti-Rei

Inconsistency kills, man.

I would be more apt to say that 2.x was pandering to fans in general - while there is a much greater amount of Rei-centrism and Asuka's Zeruel battle got thrown on Mari (really, what DOES she ultimately do, anyway? Make Unit-02 go cat mode?), the ultimate focus is on Shinji and that Anno definitely kept fans' most frequent criticisms of Shinji in mind - things are looking up, Rei's planning some things, there's some romantic drama, Gendo's gonna freaking sit down to eat with his son, Shinji actually saves Rei (or at least so we are led to believe) - 2.x basically corrects what most people perceive as irredeemable flaws in Shinji's character that many (including a number of people I've personally introduced to Neon Genesis Evangelion) would otherwise reject the series outright for.

3.x seems like a logical progression - it's a far more drastic interpretation of NGE's classic second-half atmospheric decline, but a lot of it is that it's TOO drastic (I will admit, I would've like to have seen something about the events of the time skip).
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”