Was Ikuhara supposed to direct the show at one point?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Was Ikuhara supposed to direct the show at one point?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Just read an article in Spanish on Eva:
https://www.caninomag.es/20-anos-de-impacto-recordando-evangelion/#utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twitter_publicacion

While I generally liked it, it seems in some cases the author just assumed stuff (for example writing that Anno's only contribution to the Rebuilds are the scripts).

Two things that I'm not sure I've heard before were Kunihiko Ikuhara being considered as the show's director in early stages and Evangelion being originally conceived as a film or an OVA.

Does anybody know more about this?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Was Ikuhara supposed to direct the show at one point?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 am

Anno did indeed want his friend Ikuni to work on the series. It's long been known that Ayanami Rei was named for Hino Rei as an enticement.

As it is, Ikuhara's one known suggestion, that the series end with Rei being pregnant (as a jab at the waifufags), didn't happen, and we just got an Ikuhara expy instead.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:As it is, Ikuhara's one known suggestion, that the series end with Rei being pregnant (as a jab at the waifufags), didn't happen, and we just got an Ikuhara expy instead.

I‘d actually be interested to see how that would happen and play out, and the differences in the story that could result from it.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:25 am

As it is, Ikuhara's one known suggestion, that the series end with Rei being pregnant

That rings a bell actually.

But it doesn't sound like he was supposed to direct the entire thing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:As it is, Ikuhara's one known suggestion, that the series end with Rei being pregnant (as a jab at the waifufags), didn't happen, and we just got an Ikuhara expy instead.

Depending how you interpret GNR, you might say that did indeed happen in EoE, as symbolically giving birth to the amalgamation of HIP, or the souls of the Returners.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”