METALBUILD EVA 01 (rumor)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
DrthRvn
Embryo

METALBUILD EVA 01 (rumor)

•      
  •      

Postby DrthRvn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm

In the last Tamashii Nations event, It was revealed that Ikuto Yamashita (designer of the EVAs) was collaborating with Bandai for a figure on the METALBUILD line, but something that caught my attention was the fact that the design does not seem to fit with any EVA 01 look seen previously.
SPOILER: Show

Which leads me to think that this could be a redesign for 3.0 + 1.0
I want to clarify that the METAL BUILD line is usually faithful to the original designs, which means that it is unlikely to be a redesign of the TV version (but not impossible)

it could also be a completely new design

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: METALBUILD EVA 01 (rumor)

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Could it be something from ANIMA?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DrthRvn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DrthRvn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Could it be something from ANIMA?

i don't think so, it doesn't match with any design from ANIMA

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

That's been speculated before. It has a few similarities to Unit 01 Stage 2 Spec and Super Eva Final Stage but it appears to be a brand new design. I've never seen an Eva with that sort of abdomen.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 am

It's not from ANIMA, but the style is Yamashita-like.

I hope it's a "Wille Unit 01" from 3.0+1.0.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:It's not from ANIMA, but the style is Yamashita-like.

I hope it's a "Wille Unit 01" from 3.0+1.0.

If the Wunder is destroyed, 01 will only be useful as a combat Eva. I’m hoping that that happens.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 am

Cybermat47 wrote:If the Wunder is destroyed, 01 will only be useful as a combat Eva. I’m hoping that that happens.

They kept Unit 01 armored for a reason. As a battery it didn't really need to wear its combat armor, and Shinji too didn't really need the choker if he only had to be kept under strict surveillance inside the Wunder. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I'm sure Wille knows that.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:14 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:They kept Unit 01 armored for a reason. As a battery it didn't really need to wear its combat armor, and Shinji too didn't really need the choker if he only had to be kept under strict surveillance inside the Wunder. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I'm sure Wille knows that.

Yeah, that’s another good point. Wille is obviously prepared for the worst.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:They kept Unit 01 armored for a reason.

Wille left the pylons on the Mark.04s they've been using as energy sources as well. I don't think it was because they planned on sending them into battle at any point.

Eva-01 was fully restored before Wille got their mitts on her, and removing the armor is clearly unnecessary for Eva-01 to be used as a battery. Don't expend effort on work that isn't required. If the armor still serves a "binding" purpose in NTE, all the more reason to leave it there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 am

In my mind the most logical and safe approach would have been using Unit 01's core as a battery and remove the "useless" bits around it but I guess that doing nothing it's a equally logic approach because it requires less work.

I just can't imagine Wille having a pilot for a functioning Eva and not at least considering to deploy it on the battlefield. The battle against Mark.09 and Evangelion 13 could have been a catastrophic failure resulting in the loss of Unit 02, 08 and the Wunder, they can't be picky with their weapons.

Ultimately I think Anno simply needed Unit 01 to be ready for Shinji in the final movie, and a in universe explanation will be decided based on how the plot of 3.0+1.0 will evolve.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am

Perhaps it had to be modified to be used inside the AAA WUNDER, or maybe being inside it physically altered it's armour. Another likely cause is when it Awakened at the end of Break, Ritsuko says something about it "physically changing", so this may have been the result. I suppose we won't know until Unit 01 inevitably bursts out of the WUNDER in spectacular fashion. I just hope there's some sort of visual reference to how Unit 01 burst out of Leleil's quantum shadow in Neon Genesis.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Ritsuko was referring to the changes happening right before our eyes: pseudo-evolution into a Radiant Giant.

Casting aside its humanoid shape, it's now regaining its original form.
Breaking free of humanity's grip, it's transforming itself into a divine entity.
Inside the huge swells of complementarity, it's binding together the heavens,
the earth, and all creation, transforming into an energy condensate.

When Eva-01 is struck by the Spear of Cassius, she immediately reverts to the state she'd been in before pseudo-evolution was initiated.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:42 am

Until we get some news to the contrary, I'm just going to roll with this assumption that this design was created exclusively for the figure. I don't doubt Unit 01 will get a new look in the next movie but I'd rather not be disappointed if this design is cool and it's not this. :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

JohnBooty
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JohnBooty » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm

That's a pretty cool design, but it's pretty generic "big anime robot" stuff. It just doesn't look "Evangelion" to me. The main distinguishing feature of Evas (at least in the mainline series and movies) is that they are slender. Also they usually have a more bestial posture; they're not just standing there all upright like a Gundam or Mazinger or etc etc etc.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 pm

View Original PostJohnBooty wrote:That's a pretty cool design, but it's pretty generic "big anime robot" stuff. It just doesn't look "Evangelion" to me. The main distinguishing feature of Evas (at least in the mainline series and movies) is that they are slender. Also they usually have a more bestial posture; they're not just standing there all upright like a Gundam or Mazinger or etc etc etc.

To be fair, EVA-13 is pretty thick compared to the other Evas.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:07 am

Well, the lines on the chestplates looks rather ANIMA-ish, but thats about as far as the similarities go.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 am

What exactly is that last picture of the red thing? It certainly doesn't look anything like the outline from the first two pictures.

Still, I really like that design. It reminds me of the proportions of Adam and the Evas in the original show with a massive chest and an abdomen thinner than its legs. It's especially nice after I was worried being repurposed as a battery was Anno's way of writing Unit-01 out of the Rebuilds.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:52 am

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:What exactly is that last picture of the red thing? It certainly doesn't look anything like the outline from the first two pictures.

Still, I really like that design. It reminds me of the proportions of Adam and the Evas in the original show with a massive chest and an abdomen thinner than its legs. It's especially nice after I was worried being repurposed as a battery was Anno's way of writing Unit-01 out of the Rebuilds.

You have to look on the right, not at the figure in that picture.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:You have to look on the right, not at the figure in that picture.

I personally can't see it because lol phone but that makes a lot more sense, thanks.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 am

I wonder if we might see a prototype of this guy at the August Wonderfest? A new Unit 01 design seems like the kind of thing they'd want to show off there to build up hype for pre-orders.

The lantern festival is also in early August so maybe we'll know by then whether or not this is the new official Unit 01. ^_^

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”