Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

Best service to watch anime around the world

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 am

So I was starting to watch some anime a couple weeks ago and wondered where I could best watch them, i.e. with a subscription to one of the big worldwide distributors in the like of NetFlix or Crunchyroll.

The problem with either of the options is my localization namely the dreaded legal labyrinth of germany in which the infamous GEMA (that's "Gesellschaft für musikalische Aufführungs- und mechanische Vervielfältigungsrechte" for those that thought the german language was cool) makes a lot of the stuff I would like to watch impossible to do so (including prohibiting german musicians to have their music accesible in gemrany?!?). Plus Netflix has some originals they won't share anywhere else.

So anyone got any other sites that have a great variety or maybe everything on the market available? Even though anime is still considered a "niche" by most people.

Plus whoever has the same problem in their region feel free to account it.
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Best service to watch anime around the world

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I have a Funimation subscription in the UK, and it blocks me watching it anywhere else. They send me emails saying what a good way it is to occupy myself at holiday times, and then won't let me!

It's not as though a geographical restriction is necessary when I have to log in!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I have a Funimation subscription in the UK, and it blocks me watching it anywhere else. They send me emails saying what a good way it is to occupy myself at holiday times, and then won't let me!

It's not as though a geographical restriction is necessary when I have to log in!

Well, funimation is not accessible in my region, so that is not an option. I'm afarid that only someone from my country could help here...

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 am

I think it's against the rules here to tell what service I use, but it's very convenient and has every anime ever.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 am

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:I think it's against the rules here to tell what service I use, but it's very convenient and has every anime ever.

Why should it be against the rules? I just want to know experiences and maybe what is where to get, in a pretty opaque industry.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am

Links to illegal sources are forbidden by the site's rules; so I presume that the site concerned is not considered legal. Occasionally such sites have been mentioned, but it is important that this site maintains a credible stance of not encouraging or aiding their use.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Links to illegal sources are forbidden by the site's rules; so I presume that the site concerned is not considered legal. Occasionally such sites have been mentioned, but it is important that this site maintains a credible stance of not encouraging or aiding their use.

Well, even streaming in general is in a grey zone in germany at the time. That's not just for unpaid services, but also some that require a monthly fee to watch stuff. And since the internet is something new to our chancellor and the current bigger problems in politics, I doubt a decisive turn on that view in the near future.

However it is better to be safe than sorry, but the industry doesn't seem to want to have any changes for the customer. And I can't really seem to find a list of what shows are available in my region from which provider, so that is giving me a hard time.

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Well, I found in the meantime a rather good list of legal services for anime and even some manga. Not sure if it's ok to post the link, but I do it anyway:

http://yattatachi.com/legal-anime-streaming-sites

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:42 pm

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:r/anime has a decent list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/leg ... _downloads

Well, if you mean by 'decent' that it fits in one column, then yes. They also mostly have stuff for america, so that's not much help for the rest of the world.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:03 pm

I guess it's pretty incomplete. It doesn't know that both Crunchyroll and Funimation are available in the UK, for instance.

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I guess it's pretty incomplete. It doesn't know that both Crunchyroll and Funimation are available in the UK, for instance.

Well, it's two years old. I guess something would have changed in that time in that branch.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 am

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:Well, it's two years old. I guess something would have changed in that time in that branch.
Crunchy has been a legit service with nigh world-wide reach (as opposed to making money off streaming unlicensed fan-subs) for almost a decade now -- I can't remember if I watched anything from them before Sora no Woto, but they were definitely on the level at that point.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Anime and Manga”