Imaginary Audience and the AT Field

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

AdamMalkobitch
Lilith

Imaginary Audience and the AT Field

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkobitch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 pm

It's been constantly echoed that "AT Field" is a real term in psychology used to describe how autistic patients are shut off from the world around them, and echoed even more that this is definitely not the case. However, I'd like to present another thing It could allude to; the Imaginary Audience. During adolescence, the Imaginary Audience is the concept that you're being constantly observed by everyone around you- but you're clearly not, because other teens around you are wrapped up in their own Imaginary Audience. I believe this concept may have been an influence for Evangelion's AT Field, as both separate others from yourself because of a fear of others.
https://youtu.be/bicPHRcaDEc

Blockio
Lilith

Re: Imaginary Audience and the AT Field

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:It's been constantly echoed that "AT Field" is a real term in psychology used to describe how autistic patients are shut off from the world around them, and echoed even more that this is definitely not the case. However, I'd like to present another thing It could allude to; the Imaginary Audience. During adolescence, the Imaginary Audience is the concept that you're being constantly observed by everyone around you- but you're clearly not, because other teens around you are wrapped up in their own Imaginary Audience. I believe this concept may have been an influence for Evangelion's AT Field, as both separate others from yourself because of a fear of others.

The first theory I can most definitely confirm from my own experience, although I rather see it as a mechanism of mental self-defence through means of mental parallel worlds such as roleplay, reading or letting oneself be carried away by music. So basically the same way an in-universe AT field works.

And for the second, I can only say that it would definitely fit the tone of the series and add some interesting new points of view to some scenes in the later episodes.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”