Role Reversal.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Lt Light Ark
Adam

Role Reversal.

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:56 am

Simply enough, Eva starts and we don't see a Shinji Ikari seeing an Ayanami in the distance waiting Misato.

But instead Rei Ikari that sees a Shinji Ayanami in the distance and then she is taken to fight the first Angel.

How the series would go from here?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Role Reversal.

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 am

Interesting idea. I like.

What are you going to do with Rei's personality?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 am

View Original PostLt Light Ark wrote:Simply enough, Eva starts and we don't see a Shinji Ikari seeing an Ayanami in the distance waiting Misato.

But instead Rei Ikari that sees a Shinji Ayanami in the distance and then she is taken to fight the first Angel.

How the series would go from here?

I love the idea of this as I've never seen a role reverse where Shinji is in Rei's place and she's in his I've only ever seen role reverse between Asuka and Rei who are opposites in Nobody Dies by Gregg Landsman ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:22 am

...I'll buy this for a dollar.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:49 am

As Anno first thought of the protagonist of Eva as female, this is no big step.

Heck, in these days where we acknowledge broad equality between the genders anyway, it's not even a big deal (or if made a big deal it starts to veer towards becoming sexist).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:As Anno first thought of the protagonist of Eva as female, this is no big step.

But let me guess: he switched to male as either an author avatar or to satisfy genre conventions before snapping them over his knee.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:But let me guess: he switched to male as either an author avatar or to satisfy genre conventions before snapping them over his knee.

Sadly that's correct as they thought Evangelion wouldn't sell as there last projects had not been successful. The same thing very nearly happened in Legend Of Korra it was just the animation company proved that the test group of boys didn't care that Korra was female all they cared about was that she was as cool as Ang had been in Avatar. Its why Hollywood's and the toy companies clams that girls won't sell merchandise is an utter lie and anime only proves it further as Rei and Asuka have shifted millions in toy sales and merchandise in the decades since the show and Mari is now doing the same in rebuild.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Sadly that's correct as they thought Evangelion wouldn't sell as there last projects had not been successful.

Not entirely, Nadia had actually been a huge success in Japan and Gunbuster had been really popular too. The main reason for the change as far as I know is that they didn't want to retread the same ground because they had already done two shows with female protags.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:59 am

Yeah: I mean, I'd figure when you'd have Sailor freakin' Moon as a precedent, Japanese animation studios were less uneasy about casting female protagonists as American studios.

I still think a role reversal, however, would be interesting. What would the dynamic between Rei and Misato be like? Is Shinji still Lilith's soul (exploring the potential implications of a female/divine feminine inside of a male body), or are the FAR progenitors flipped: is it LILITH sending Angels, and ADAM in the basement (and Shinji a harbinger for Adam's soul)? What is the dynamic like between Asuka and Rei?

I think there's ground to explore here.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:21 am

Lt Light Ark: Are you going to take a stab at this, or are you throwing it out for anyone to grab? If the latter, I may give it a shot.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:19 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Interesting idea. I like.

What are you going to do with Rei's personality?

Now that is a good question, you see, Rei is a lot more introverted than Shinji, but here we have worrying changes.

First.

Rei is Yui's daughter, Shinji is a clone where the genes of both his father and mother were mixed (maybe because of a small accident, then they did noticed that they didn't needed to make an female clone, as Shinji could harbor Lilith's soul)

Rei was just abandoned by her father, Shinji grew like Rei did, now, would she grow an avoidant behavior like Shinji? Or would she grow emotionless to avoid further pain?

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I love the idea of this as I've never seen a role reverse where Shinji is in Rei's place and she's in his I've only ever seen role reverse between Asuka and Rei who are opposites in Nobody Dies by Gregg Landsman ^_^

I find that baffling, so we have what you did mentioned, but not what I propose here, well, I did decided that I should see something.

Gob Hobblin wrote:...I'll buy this for a dollar.

Two, but I didn't find anything, so I did decided to do something.

pwhodges wrote:As Anno first thought of the protagonist of Eva as female, this is no big step.

Heck, in these days where we acknowledge broad equality between the genders anyway, it's not even a big deal (or if made a big deal it starts to veer towards becoming sexist).

Anno is a fan of Sailor Moon, guess why? Usagi wants to be a damsel in distress and...

Well, she doesn't manage to be one! ^_^

Gob Hobblin wrote:Yeah: I mean, I'd figure when you'd have Sailor freakin' Moon as a precedent, Japanese animation studios were less uneasy about casting female protagonists as American studios.

I still think a role reversal, however, would be interesting. What would the dynamic between Rei and Misato be like? Is Shinji still Lilith's soul (exploring the potential implications of a female/divine feminine inside of a male body), or are the FAR progenitors flipped: is it LILITH sending Angels, and ADAM in the basement (and Shinji a harbinger for Adam's soul)? What is the dynamic like between Asuka and Rei?

I think there's ground to explore here.

First I am thinking about how would Rei and Shinji grow into those different conditions.

Dude...I love the idea if Shinji harboring Lilith's soul, it is even better because Adam (represative for male) did created life, Adam based Life (like a mother)

Now the problem is that I can't say how Adamite Life would be, Angels? Now, the idea of reversing things, Adam being in basement and Lilith being the harbinger of the Second Impact would make things interesting (starting that Kaworu is female)

Now about the relationship, things that I want to keep clear, no, only the positions of Shinji and Ayanami are shifted, Asuka is still a girl, first? She will not get along with Ayanami, mainly because for Asuka, she is competition and being a girl would make things worse, mainly because she wouldn't be trying to make 'Ayanami' to make a move towards herself, but would try to see Shinji doing it, what, considering his nature here, may be a epic fail or not, I particularly leer towards epic fail, now if Misato would take her in is another matter, I did believe Misato took Shinji in because beyond the fact he is the pilot, he is also a tool for her revenge, now, would she take Ayanami in? I think that the fact that Shinji is male had something with her taking him in.

But I may be mistaken.

Gob Hobblin wrote:Lt Light Ark: Are you going to take a stab at this, or are you throwing it out for anyone to grab? If the latter, I may give it a shot.

Well, I am throwing it out for anyone and wanting to try a shot (I did posted this here more of a sort of idea to be discussed) now if you do want to try a shot, feel free (in a way I was searching help to get an idea of how that would roll)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 am

I'll play around with it, and throw what I get your way before I FanFiction anything! Many thanks!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:25 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I'll play around with it, and throw what I get your way before I FanFiction anything! Many thanks!

^_^

No problems! Whatever I manage to get I will send to you before I do post something in FF.net!

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm

I was thinking if Adam instead could be used, so like, fatherhood denotes protection and authority, authority to make one safe that he/she doesn't need to worry as father would take the best choice.

Protection by the strength of the father, I think that regarding Asuka and Rei, as Shinji is now the distant being, we would have their issues bought even harder, but this time instead of taking a mother aspect, we would take the father aspect (as a fact, girls that lack a father figure may end up histrionic or narcissistic and needy of external sources of self-esteem) a lot more.

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 am

So...no more ideas?

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:37 am

I have an role reversal idea myself but its not the same as yours.

What would happen if the contact experiment was reversed, with Yui losing a chunk of her soul and going mostly crazy and Kyoko body gets dissolved into LCL and her soul was absorbed into the Eva's core.

But here's the twist, Yui does not commit suicide (Gendo committed her into competent hospital) and is still able to recognized Gendo (somewhat) Shinji... not so much and since Yui is still with him Gendo is no longer interested in the Scenario because he's wife still recognized him. Given how obsessed he was about her canon I would have no doubt he would be perfectly fine with a half-mad Yui as longer as she still acknowledges him and loves him.

With Asuka, since she never saw her mother go mad and hanged herself, so she doesn't have that many problems and she never saw her father boing the doctor and he never remarried so she has a somewhat better relationship with him.

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 pm

View Original Postbrer rabbit wrote:I have an role reversal idea myself but its not the same as yours.

What would happen if the contact experiment was reversed, with Yui losing a chunk of her soul and going mostly crazy and Kyoko body gets dissolved into LCL and her soul was absorbed into the Eva's core.

But here's the twist, Yui does not commit suicide (Gendo committed her into competent hospital) and is still able to recognized Gendo (somewhat) Shinji... not so much and since Yui is still with him Gendo is no longer interested in the Scenario because he's wife still recognized him. Given how obsessed he was about her canon I would have no doubt he would be perfectly fine with a half-mad Yui as longer as she still acknowledges him and loves him.

With Asuka, since she never saw her mother go mad and hanged herself, so she doesn't have that many problems and she never saw her father boing the doctor and he never remarried so she has a somewhat better relationship with him.

Ironically things would end up well in this scenario.

Lt Light Ark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lt Light Ark » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:26 am

Just passing to say that I will make a small list where I will have the main features of Rei and Shinji in the original series and another where their main features in this fic may be, as their lives will be drastically different, their main features must be run in how they would be in those different situations.

So yes, I will run with this idea, by now what I need is someone to fix grammar.

Return to “Fanfiction”