What is "Tabris"?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

fukuda
Embryo

What is "Tabris"?

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm

So, Tabris is the name of Kaworu, and is in Arabic.
In Arabic, "Tabris" means "The Revealed/Arisen".
From various sources, "Tabris" apparently is an "Angel of Free Will".
"Tabris", does not exist, as far as I am concerned, in Islam or standard Judaism/Christianity. I find this to be odd because Tabris is an Arabic name, but there is no mention of it at all in Islam or any Muslim Texts.

There is, however, a "Tabriz", in Iran.
And according to Judaism and Christianity, Satan was a "Fallen Angel", contrary to Islamic Belief, who believe him to be of the Jinn species.
And again, according to Islam, the "Dajjal", or "Anti-Christ", shall arise out of Esfahan, Iran
Is it possible that any outside of Evangelion, Tabris may simply be another name for Anti-Christ?
Could an Evangelion become Obese? - VUX

Berserkelion
Embryo

Re: What is "Tabris"?

•      
  •      

Postby Berserkelion » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Quite interesting, but I honestly don't know. Wikipedia and Google Books doesn't have a lot of information regarding Nuctemeron or NGE Kabballistic Angels, sigh.

Do you have some source for your interesting statements? Also: do you know the correct Arabic for Tabris? The name of the "homonimous" Iranian city (you know, Tabriz) seems to differ in some way, but I didn't find anything.
In order to make myself recognized by the Other, I must risk my own life. To risk one's life, in fact, is to reveal oneself as not-bound to the objective form or to any determined existence — as not-bound to life (Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness)
"Despair is a Sickness in the Spirit, in the Self, and So It May Assume a Triple Form: in Despair at Not Being Conscious of Having a Self (Despair Improperly So Called); in Despair at Not Willing to Be Oneself; in Despair at Willing to Be Oneself" (Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death)
" As one's ignorance disappears when he gains knowledge, and as darkness disappears when light appears, so also incompleteness is eliminated by completeness" (The Gospel of Truth)

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:23 pm

View Original PostBerserkelion wrote:Quite interesting, but I honestly don't know. Wikipedia and Google Books doesn't have a lot of information regarding Nuctemeron or NGE Kabballistic Angels, sigh.

Do you have some source for your interesting statements? Also: do you know the correct Arabic for Tabris? The name of the "homonimous" Iranian city (you know, Tabriz) seems to differ in some way, but I didn't find anything.

I do not have a single fact to back this up except for for the word "Ba-ra-za" [Birz/برز] which means "He emerged", according to Google Translate and my own knowledge of Arabic.

"Tabris", is a sort-of "derivative" from this word "Baraza", and considering the context of the name, it would make sense to assume that Tabris means "The Emerged".

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:59 pm

View Original Postfukuda wrote:"Tabris", does not exist, as far as I am concerned, in Islam or standard Judaism/Christianity. I find this to be odd because Tabris is an Arabic name, but there is no mention of it at all in Islam or any Muslim Texts.

Berserkelion mentioned The Nuctemeron, the Greek occult text where the name "Tabris" comes from. This blog post has what looks like an English translation of the relevant part (if not the entirety of the book's text).

Genii of the Sixth Hour:
TABRIS, genius of free will. SUSABO, genius of voyages. EIRNILUS, genius of fruits. NITIKA, genius of precious stones. HAATAN, genius who conceals treasures. HATIPHAS, genius of attire. ZAREN, avenging genius.

On the subject of how "Tabris" was etymologically derived, you could look at the other names in The Nuctemeron and get an overall feel for what the author was using as reference and inspiration.

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Berserkelion mentioned The Nuctemeron, the Greek occult text where the name "Tabris" comes from. This blog post has what looks like an English translation of the relevant part (if not the entirety of the book's text).

On the subject of how "Tabris" was etymologically derived, you could look at the other names in The Nuctemeron and get an overall feel for what the author was using as reference and inspiration.

Tough. This text is very interesting. Also interesting to note that Genii in Arabic is Jinn, the "other species" which is similar to man but made from fire.

ErgoProxy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm

I'm by no measure English native speaker, but haven't you just mistook genii for genies? Singular from genii is genius; it was definitely Roman concept, not Arabic, and similar to Christian concept of guardian angel.

Also, be very careful with Tabriz, as on the other side of Zagros Mountains there was the ancient city of Mari. :devil:
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:I'm by no measure English native speaker, but haven't you just mistook genii for genies? Singular from genii is genius; it was definitely Roman concept, not Arabic, and similar to Christian concept of guardian angel.

Also, be very careful with Tabriz, as on the other side of Zagros Mountains there was the ancient city of Mari. :devil:

In Arabic, "Genii" is "Jinn". [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn]
I don't know, considering the outreach of the Roman Empire and the entanglement of Abrahamic Religion, of course "Jinn" would be adapted into other languages with different meanings.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”