Grave markers at the end of EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Grave markers at the end of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I've read online that in the original scripts, Shinji was to set up grave markers for those who had died before Instrumentality, including Asuka, and that she would kick hers down upon returning to human form. Supposedly, you can still see these markers in the final film, but I've never seen any ones but Misato's, which was just a broken telephone pole with her pendant nailed to it. Where on earth are the rest of these markers?!
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Grave markers at the end of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:37 pm

One quick Google image search for "evangelion gravemarkers" later:

I really hope, for the sake of municipal safety, that you've never encountered a telephone pole that's only slightly wider than Misato's pendant. :nyao:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm

I wonder if he actually expected people to figure that out. Seems so vague. Anno has high standards for his audience.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:11 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:I wonder if he actually expected people to figure that out. Seems so vague. Anno has high standards for his audience.

To be fair, the visuals are similar to photos of WWI and WWII battlefield gravemarkers, and there’s a plethora of military references in Eva.

Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm an idiot. That shot is so iconic, and yet I always thought they were more destroyed telephone poles.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Those can't be grave markers, there was nobody to set them up. They are there before Shinji and Asuka wake up and they're the first ones to wake up. It could be leftover design, but that leftover design can't really be thought of as what it was originally. In the end, they're just telephone poles or whatever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Shinji was there before Asuka, long enough to set up the markers. That's why one of them has Misato's cross on it (which she gave him); which is enough to tell us he did it. Some people argue that the sign of corrosion on the cross (presumably from the nail) says that Shinji has been alone for weeks by the time Asuka arrives.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:that leftover design can't really be thought of as what it was originally

So they're carefully arranged pieces of wood, one of which has Misato's cross nailed to it, and one of which is kicked over, and for some reason they can't be the gravemarkers specified in the final version of the script because there is a much better Watsonian explanation on hand for what they're doing there?

In the end, they're just telephone poles or whatever.

They're charred pieces of wood barely wider than Misato's cross. We can safely rule out the "telephone pole" part, methinks.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:05 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Shinji was there before Asuka, long enough to set up the markers. That's why one of them has Misato's cross on it (which she gave him); which is enough to tell us he did it. Some people argue that the sign of corrosion on the cross (presumably from the nail) says that Shinji has been alone for weeks by the time Asuka arrives.

But I thought Asuka was the one who back before Shinji, and she was the one who kicked down her grave marker.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

How do you work that out? If Asuka was back first, who had set up the grave marker for her to kick down?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 am

View Original PostBryan wrote:In the end, they're just telephone poles or whatever.
When I saw that scene for the first time, I saw them as charred timbers from house construction that had been scattered like straws by all the catastrophic events we'd seen unfold. Shinji pinning up Misato's cross just looked like making use of something found in place.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:38 pm

If I may offer my own interpretation of how it went down...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:14 pm

^ That thread gave me a good chuckle remember how the moon phase thing came about and then was promptly forgotten until the topic came up again and I rediscovered it going hey guys we're really big idiots, look at what we forgot! Which brings me to the question why doesn't passage of time in the final scene have a theory and analysis page? That is stuff that has been forgotten before and god knows where all the relevant threads are buried now. It'd be great if all the info was compiled on an easy to find page so that never happens again.

The entire passage of time thread is an incomprehensible mess now thanks to all the broken links lol
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:32 pm

View Original PostAnonymous_Evafan wrote:why doesn't passage of time in the final scene have a theory and analysis page?

Because no one made it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:42 pm

RE: who came back/woke up first?

We see Shinji return when he emerges from the Sea of LCL prior to the title card transition into the final scene. He watches as Lilith's body crumbles.

SPOILER: Show

As for the grave markers, I'm sort of like Tines. At first I thought they were just scattered debris, and that Shinji simply took advantage of one to pin his memento and complete the symbolism of the Misato's cross. I was much more impressed when I learned they were all grave markers, and the implications of Asuka having kicked hers down before going to lay beside Shinji. It says a lot about her spirit during the end there, as opposed to Shinji, who had apparently given up on anyone returning (despite Yui's message in the prior scene) and hence the gravemarkers.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”