An Insider's Look

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderator: Board Staff

sonichu
Embryo

Re: An Insider's Look

•      
  •      

Postby sonichu » Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Just letting you know I'm still reading this story and still enjoying it. Each chapter is great and I can't wait for the next one.

Gryphon117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gryphon117 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am

View Original Postsonichu wrote:Just letting you know I'm still reading this story and still enjoying it. Each chapter is great and I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks, that's great to know! I'm giving the finishing touches to another update that will very likely be going up next Sunday. I hope it will satisfy your cravings. ^_^
Author of a few decent Eva stories, which can be found here.

Currently working on a new project: An Insider's Look

Gryphon117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gryphon117 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:17 am

And here we are again with the end of the current chapter. I personally like how this ending turned out, but I'll let you guys be the judges of that. ^_^

But now, I'm going to need to focus on work again for a while, so the updates are going to be slowing down once more. Sorry about that, the better part of what I need to do be should be over by the end of June.

Enjoy!

Chapter 11-6  SPOILER: Show
“I… I’m not scared,” Ace then declared to her fallen opponent, in a voice that was as shaky as her extended fist. “And I’m not going anywhere.”

“Ace! What are you doing?!”

The Third Child immediately put himself between the two girls in order to bring an end to the fight, even if he knew full well that his best efforts would have meant absolutely nothing had Ace wanted to push past him. Fortunately for Shinji, however, the Pilot was content to stare at her counterpart with an expression that was steadily morphing into anger. She was so out of it, in fact, that the young man heavily suspected Ace hadn’t even noticed how he had stepped in her way.

A quick memory of how Ace had vaporized the knight decided to fly past his mind’s eye at just that moment, a reminder by his brain noting how she had not looked anywhere near as angry back then as she did now. It was almost funny how Ace always seemed to find some way to prove him wrong every single time that Shinji thought she had reached the ceiling of her anger levels.

But, although funny, that wasn’t really important at that moment in time. What was actually important was how he needed to fix that situation. And fast.

But before he could even begin to fathom how he was going to do so, the Third Child heard his assistant mumble weakly behind him. “…No. Stop, Shinji. Just let her be.”

And before Shinji could turn around completely for a second time, he noticed how he wasn’t in the control room anymore. He was instead back in his room at the farm, Asuka sitting on his bed as she forlornly stared at the wooden floor.

“Asuka!” the Third Child demanded. “Why did you-?!”

“Why did I bring us back?” the redhead finished for him, her voice barely rising over the dull hum of the rain outside. “What? Were you going to fight her, or something?”

It was then that Shinji noticed that Asuka’s glum disposition wasn’t the only thing that had changed about her. The girl was now wearing some more familiar clothes that he hadn’t seen on her yet, the short jeans and t-shirt combination that the real Asuka had worn around the apartment quite often in the past.

“N-No!” the young man replied, turning his attention from the clothing and back to the matter at hand. “But I wanted to speak with Ace, too!”

“Well, sorry for making that decision for you, but it wouldn’t have done us any good. We were already far too late to get through to her,” Asuka sighed deeply. “…And it was all my fault. I shouldn’t have said that.”

“But… But it sounded like you were-”

“Right?” the girl finished with a mirthless chuckle. “I was, but the fact that I was right is pointless. I should have said it in some other way, tried to calm her down before opening my big mouth, but I wasn’t thinking. I wasn’t thinking…” Asuka paused for a few seconds, eyes focused on a spot of the room that appeared to be infinitely far away. “…Just like I didn’t stop to think back then, when I believed I had it all figured out.”

Shinji stepped a bit closer to the bed’s edge but said nothing in return because, quite frankly, he didn’t know what to say. Words had never been the boy’s forte, especially during tense situations, and while he didn’t have to deal with the added difficulty of an Asuka that was primed to explode, it wasn’t like an Asuka that was going through a palpable crisis was really any better.

Luckily for him, Asuka continued talking on her own. Perhaps because she had figured out that words of comfort weren’t going to be forthcoming.

“Do you remember the last few Angels, Shinji? That was me in the Pilot’s seat, so to say. I think it showed,” the redhead explained, eyeing Shinji out of the corner of her eye. “That’s why no matter what we do, we can’t afford to lose Ace again. Asuka might not live through the experience a second time.

“And that’s what I was trying to tell her, too, right before she lost it,” Asuka continued. “She’s far too important, to Asuka and to all of us. Even if EVA were to become a secondary concern to her, Ace wouldn’t be ‘going anywhere’, as she put it.”

“H-How do you know that?”

“Because I’m still here,” Asuka replied, pointing a finger at herself. “I mean, compared to Ace, I’ve never been anywhere near as important to Asuka as she is, even at the best of times. But even at her lowest, when Asuka was cutting ties with everyone and just about ready to give up, I didn’t disappear. I was still important enough to warrant keeping around, my limited abilities and severed link with HQ notwithstanding.”

“Well... that’s good, right?” Shinji hesitated, wondering why Asuka was still looking so down if she had a solution to the problem. “We only need to tell Ace that her position is safe!”

“Sure, we can tell her. But we still need to convince her, too, and I just made that about a hundred times harder. Besides, you know how Ace is: it’s very likely that she will not take being second place with a smile, anyway.”

The sigh that came out of Asuka was long and drawn, and very descriptive of just how weary she was becoming of hitting her head against the wall. Her blue eyes then slowly refocused on the lines that were created by the small wooden floorboards.

“...But what if I’m really a moron like she says and I’m fixating far too much on this? What if I accused her of focusing too much on EVA and I’m no better? First it was Kaji and now it’s you. Maybe I should listen to Ace and wait until the war is over before putting even more pressure on Asuka. But what if it’s too late by then, and she gets into another downward spiral? Hnngggg…”

‘Think of something to say!’ Shinji panicked to himself in the meantime, watching the girl groan as she brought her hand to the bridge of her nose. ‘She needs help! She needs you to help her! So just say SOMETHING!’

But for as much as the Third Child beat himself up in the search of the right words to tell Asuka, his results were still completely lacking. He was afraid of making things worse, of saying the wrong thing and making Asuka angry at him or, even worse, making her even more depressed. Shinji found himself at a crossroads and refused to choose a path, instead staring at the signpost and trying to will it into making the choice for him.

“Hey, Shinji. Can I ask you something?”

Until his assistant made that decision for him again.

“Y-Yes.”

“Do you like Asuka?”

And while the young man had been a bit jumpy at how Asuka had intruded into his panicky thought process, Shinji was also a bit amused about how little the question she had posed had surprised him. A big part of him was surprised that it hadn’t come sooner after the big revelation of the day, honestly, but that, of course, still left the matter of answering it.

He did find Asuka attractive, that much was true. But he also found Ayanami attractive in a different way, or Misato, or what little he had seen of Makinami-san, or a lot of the girls he knew from school. That sort of attraction came with the territory of being a healthy teenage boy, but Shinji didn’t need a translator to know that Asuka wasn’t talking about that.

He really could have used a translator for figuring out what he thought of his roommate at that point in time, however.

“I...” the Third Child mumbled. “...I don’t know. Sorry.”

“You don’t know,” Asuka flatly replied, before another almost angry sigh escaped her. “Look Shinji, just tell me if you would have been fine with the whole thing had the kiss and everything after gone a bit more smoothly! It’s not rocket science!”

“And I said that I don’t know!” Shinji heatedly shot back. “Yes, maybe I would have been fine with it that day, but a lot of things have happened since then! A lot of things that have given me a much worse opinion of Asuka!”

“But you know why-!”

“Yes, I know!” the Third Child cut her off. “And that’s the problem! I’m starting to understand why all of that happened and it makes all of this A LOT MORE DIFFICULT!”

The sheer volume of Shinji’s proclamation made his words echo around the room and Asuka recoil back a little in fright, the sight bringing Shinji’s mind back to the time the red door had first appeared and how he had lashed out at Asuka back then for something that had not been her fault at all. The blame game was nowhere near as simple as it had been at that time, but seeing the same look on Asuka that he had seen that day was enough to knock almost all the anger out of Shinji, harder than any blow he had received while piloting the EVA.

“...Sorry. There I go, pushing without thinking again,” Asuka apologised with a strained smile, her eyes retreating back to the bottom of the room. “But we really make for a fine pair, don’t we? The infuriatingly wishy-washy guy and the unstoppable idiot girl. It’s almost like we’re part of some bad joke.”

And while Shinji narrowed his eyes a little bit at being called ‘wishy-washy’, he refrained from actually voicing his annoyance any further. Maybe because he knew that Asuka was right, and this entire mess could have been avoided one way or another if he’d just chosen to do something when he’d had the chance.

‘If only it was so easy...’

“So… no?” Asuka shakily continued before Shinji was fully done digesting her previous statement, and the tinge of fear in her voice was almost enough to break his heart.

“I don’t know. I just… don’t know,” Shinji replied, exhausted, as he gestured around him with his arms. “First I want to… No, I need to get out of here. Then… I can start thinking about what I want, and if I want to ask Asuka about what she wants.”

Asuka jumped up like a spring and seemed to want to say something in response but then stopped herself, thinking better of it. The crestfallen redhead then looked away and sighed once more, but this time it wasn’t a sigh of weariness or self-anger, but it rather sounded like one of acceptance.

“…Alright. That’s… alright,” Asuka spoke, clear and even. “Honestly, I can’t blame you if you wouldn’t go ahead with it. With all the terrible things you’ve had to go through because of our arguments, I really couldn’t hold it against you if you decide that keeping Asuka at arm’s length is the best thing for you. Hell, maybe Ace really is right and doing that will even be the best thing for her.” The redhead admitted with a light scoff. She then sat up straighter, looking like she was swallowing a lump in her throat before she sent a cautious and almost frightened look the Third Child’s way. “...But Shinji, whatever you choose, will you... still be Asuka’s friend? At least until she manages to find her footing? I know that we might not really deserve that at this point, but-”

“...I already said I would do that,” Shinji found himself responding, before he could even think of stopping himself. “And I still haven’t changed my mind.”

Finally, the words he had been looking for, and he hadn’t even tried to find them. And as a slightly surprised Third Child watched Asuka turn to look at him in overjoyed amazement, he briefly considered that, perhaps, acting on instinct rather than thought had been the key he had been missing all along.

Sporting that familiar bright smile that Shinji had missed so much, his assistant jumped off the bed and rushed towards him, wrapping her arms around the young man in a grateful, tight embrace.

“Thanks, Shinji,” Asuka spoke next to Shinji’s ear, sending ripples all over his body and freezing the young man up. “We’re really so lucky to have you.”

But pushing past the shock that had given him pause so many times before, the Third Child remembered his recent breakthrough, and it was so that he allowed his arms to do as they wished without stopping to think about it.

And that day, Shinji Ikari held Asuka Langley-Sohryu, too.

Gryphon117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gryphon117 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 am

Hiya people, been a while. Just dropping by to say that I'm free from my exams and work by now, and that updates should resume shortly. I'd actually been meaning to restart them last week, in fact, but I've been busy with refurbishing my new home in the hopes of moving in Soon(TM) and that kind of ate away at my writing time. My parents and me are painting the whole place as of right now, incidentally, but I should have enough room in the schedule to give you guys something to read this week. Look forward to it. ^_^

Gryphon117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gryphon117 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 am

Okay, I'm back. And as promised, here's the start of the next chapter. There's a short bit with Asuka's reaction at the end there that I wanted to add into this update, but I ran out of time so I guess I'll be putting it into its next short update ASAP before I start writing the next major snippet.

Enjoy! ^_^

Chapter 12  SPOILER: Show
The following morning saw Asuka waking up from a dreamless sleep. It was a gradual process, with the first bits of consciousness beginning to return behind closed eyelids and some few, precious seconds of half-asleep rest being milked for all of their worth. Nevertheless, Asuka knew that neither the day nor Misato Katsuragi would wait to put them through the paces of their teamwork training, so it was with great sorrow that the Second Child decided to wake up for real.

And she was about to sit up when Asuka found a pair of crimson eyes staring straight at her own, far too close for comfort.

"Scheiße!!” the Second Child screamed, scrambling into a sitting position and pushing herself as far away as her bed sheet impaired legs would allow her. “Wondergirl! The heck are you doing?!”

But if Rei Ayanami was at all surprised by her housemate’s outburst, she didn’t allow herself to show it. Instead, the bluenette’s eyebrows drew together a micron and she stood up without a word, eyes lingering on Asuka for another short interval before Rei began to step towards the bathroom.

“Hey, hey! Wait just a damn second, Wondergirl!” Asuka rushed to place herself before the First Child, stopping her in her tracks with an accusing finger. “You don’t get to scare me half to death and then walk away as if nothing ever happened! What was that about?!”

“I was investigating.”

“Investigating? Investigating what?” the redhead demanded. “You do know what they call people who watch others while they’re sleeping, right?!”

“No, I do not.”

And Asuka’s finger fell, the wind that had been pushing the sails of her indignation dying off with just four simple words. Putting aside the annoyance she felt at Rei unintentionally leaving her without a comeback, Asuka couldn’t believe the fact that the bluenette apparently saw nothing wrong with being a complete creep.

‘...Then again, I don’t know what I was expecting. This is Wondergirl we’re talking about, you don’t get much weirder than her.’

“Can you move?” Rei continued, as clueless as ever. “I need to shower.”

And this time, Asuka didn’t bother resisting the bluenette’s wishes. Months of sharing a locker room with the First Child had taught Asuka not to press her when she was being her personal brand of mysterious, because the only things that always resulted in were either more non-answers or Ayanami spouting some more of her toilet philosophy. Neither outcome was particularly desirable at that point.

‘Bah, whatever,’ the redhead relented, putting the whole thing out of her mind. She then briefly brought a hand to tap at her cheeks. ‘...I should make sure she didn’t write anything on my face, though.’

Letting out a big yawn, Asuka sighed as she rubbed the last traces of sleep out of her eyes and surveyed the apartment’s living room. Despite having slept through the night in one of the Japanese sleeping mats she hated so much, the Second Child was surprised at just how well she had rested: her mind was fresh and attentive and the familiar morning itch behind her eyes was nowhere to be found. Yet another unusual development for that morning, to be sure, but one that was very welcome.

‘...Maybe getting all of that off your chest helped things, somehow,’ the Second Child wondered, her mind briefly going back to the previous night’s conversation. It was then that the implications of what she had confessed to in the spur of the moment caught up to the girl, Asuka bringing a hand to her forehead with a groan. ‘Shit, what was I thinking? Just you wait until Misato catches wind of what you admitted, Asuka. You’re never going to live that down.’

Asuka’s eyes then fell on the main instigator behind her unplanned confession: Mari Makinami, who was still sleeping soundly. How she hadn’t woken up with all the commotion of her own rising was beyond Asuka, but the redhead decided to remedy that by walking over and nudging the back of the softly snoring Fifth Child with her foot.

“Hnnggg....” Mari mumbled in response, shuffling her body away from the offending appendage. “F’ve mo’ m’nuts...”

And in two seconds flat, she was snoring again. Asuka barely resisted the urge to palm her face.

‘Great, so I’ve got Creepy Mc.Bluehair and Misato’s little sister in my squad. How the heck does she expect me to get anything done with these two?’ the Second Child lamented with a groan. ‘Even Shinji would be better!’

A sudden feeling of guilt crept up inside Asuka at her unplanned thoughts about the Third Child, but she quickly forced herself to push it aside. Still, there had been no contact whatsoever from Shinji since she had shouted at him the day before and Asuka would be lying if she claimed that she wasn’t starting to get a bit worried.

For a few moments, Asuka considered calling for Shinji but ultimately decided to put it off until breakfast. Rei was likely about to start showering, and by the stipulations of their training regime that meant that all three of the Pilots should at least be in the bathroom while she did. If Misato decided to come for an early morning visit and caught them not abiding to the rules because Makinami was still sleeping there would be hell to pay, and Asuka didn’t feel like finding out what the Major’s creative punishment would be all about.

Besides, she had now been officially recognized as the leader of the Pilot Corps, so the Fifth Child’s kind of irresponsible behaviour was now her responsibility to fix with whatever disciplinary measures she thought appropriate. No need to get Misato involved.

And so, Asuka’s second warning came in the form of a swift kick to Mari’s backside, the Fifth Child rolling over and mostly awake with a pained and slightly satisfying yelp.

“Ouchie...” Mari sat up and protested the harsh treatment with a pout, the girl’s free and messy bed hair making her look a lot different to how she usually did. “Princeeess! Why you so mean?”

Unfortunately, the more annoying parts of her personality were the same as always.

“Because it’s morning, Wondergirl already headed to the showers, and it’s time you got your lazy ass out of bed!” Asuka admonished in her best drill sergeant tone and motioned towards the bathroom with her head, from where the sounds of falling water could already be heard. “We’ve got plenty of stuff to do today, so move it!”

“Mmm...?” Mari groggily checked her watch, squinting hard to identify the numbers without her glasses. “Oh? Is it that time already?”

“Yes, it’s half past seven in the morning. I’m glad you can read.”

“But we have another two hours until we need to train with our EVAs, right?” the Fifth Child replied, ignoring the sarcasm. She then slowly began to lie down on her back again... “Doesn’t that mean that we have some more time to-”

“Don’t even think about going back to sleep!”

...and promptly sprang back up like a jack-in-the-box.

“Ehehehehe...” Mari put her hands up in surrender, a goofy grin trying to defend against Asuka’s glare. “Right, right! I was joking... Just joking!”

‘You totally weren’t.’

“See?” Mari quickly finished rising under the Second Child’s expectant gaze, squaring up like a soldier at attention. “I’m up and ready for orders! What next, Princess?”

“You have a minute to get your stuff and yourself into the bathroom before I come back and drag you there,” Asuka responded, somehow managing to keep the longest sigh in the history of the world from coming out. “Then we’ll have breakfast together and get ready to get on with Misato’s plans. Are we clear?”

“Yes, ma’am!” Mari enthusiastically replied, her hand flying to her forehead in an overly dramatic salute that went completely unnoticed by an Asuka that had already turned towards the bathroom.

Slightly deflated but not defeated, Mari quickly gathered her bathroom necessities and rushed to follow.

>-O]|[O-<​

“...Can I look yet?”

“No, not yet. We are in the kitchen area but Ayanami is still floating around without any clothes on.” Asuka replied to Shinji’s question, making sure that the boy’s eyes were still completely covered by his hands. “Why didn’t she bring a change of clothes into the bathroom, anyway? Isn’t that a lot easier than walking all over the place in the nude after you’re done? What would happen if someone entered while she’s naked?”

Unbeknownst to Asuka, the young man by her side had a very real answer to that possibility that he wisely kept to himself, preferring to keep on repeating the mantra that he’d been thinking for close to fifteen minutes by that point.

‘Don’t think about them showering, don’t think about them showering... Think of something you hate, like Canon in D and its eight stupid notes.’

Just as they had been when he and Asuka first entered the command room, Shinji’s mental stratagems proved effective at keeping the Third Child’s mind from replaying the scene that had been on display at the time of their late arrival. It had been little more than a glimpse of Ayanami’s and Makinami-san’s bare backs that his eyes had caught before Asuka had blinded him, but that was still more than enough material for a teenager’s hyper-active imagination to work with if left unchecked, especially considering the embarrassing but carefully preserved first-hand experience that Shinji had had with the former.

The other thing that helped Shinji keep his focus was Ace; or rather, the suspicion that Ace was acting very much unlike herself. He hadn’t had a chance to take a good look at Ace due to the circumstances of his arrival, but while he could feel that the hostile presence on his right side had multiplied by an order of magnitude when compared to the previous day, the fact that he hadn’t heard even a disdainful or grumpy grunt out of the Pilot in all that time was pretty worrying, considering her actions the previous day.

She was all business, the sound of fingers flying across the different instruments letting Shinji know that Ace was working at a blazing pace. Despite the professional facade, however, the young man couldn’t help but dread the moment her countdown reached zero.

“Okay, I think you’re free to use your eyes now.” Asuka suddenly announced, giving Shinji a pat on the shoulder. The Third Child then let his hands drop and allowed for light to reach his pupils once again, squinting for a short moment at the drastic change before he did the quick analysis of the situation that he had been denied before: Asuka was now sitting at a breakfast table, Makinami-san to her left and Ayanami approaching from what Shinji supposed was the direction of her room, clad in her usual clothes. The three of them sat and ate their morning meal, sharing some small talk while Asuka outlined their plan for the day.

The scene was innocent and simple enough that no input was necessary from their part, so Shinji took the opportunity to check his immediate surroundings as well, noticing with some relief that Maisie had returned to her post. She caught his eye for a second, sending him a small and cryptic smile before she focused back on her work. Just after that, Ace also noticed him staring, but her reaction was simply to turn away with an angry scoff.

‘Well, she’s the same as always. Maybe I was worrying over nothing,’ Shinji thought with a sigh. ‘Maisie, on the other hand... What was that about?’

“...Shinji?” Asuka’s voice suddenly called, making the young man jump a little. “Hey, Stupid Shinji! Are you there?”

Shinji happily turned to look at his assistant, who looked back at him every bit as excited.

“What are you waiting for?” Asuka urged, tossing him the headphones. “Answer her!”

“Y-Yeah!” Shinji quickly replied, scrambling to put the headphones in their proper place. “I’m here, Asuka!”

“About time you decided to speak up, you idiot!” Asuka scolded him, but the undertones of relief he could hear in her voice weren’t lost on Shinji. “Where the hell have you been?!”

The Third Child then looked to his left for support, but a shrug was all the assistance he received.

“...P-Places.”

“Places? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Just that this place can get a bit confusing, and that sometimes I can’t speak to you. Especially if...”

Shinji trailed off, wondering somewhat belatedly if his next words were a smart thing to say.

“Especially if what?”

But that choice was quickly taken from him.

“Especially if... you get angry.”

A low and ominous alarm sound then began to sound throughout the room, promptly confirming Shinji’s fears. Off to his right side, he thought he heard Ace mutter ‘moron’ to herself before the movement of her fingers intensified.

“...Are you saying yesterday was my fault?” Asuka demanded, a hint of fire in her voice. She then left her breakfast plate in the sink with a bit more force than absolutely necessary. “Actually, don’t answer that. Who gives a damn?”

Afterwards, Shinji saw the Second Child beckon the other two Pilots with a terse command and the group leave together through the apartment’s door, Asuka leading them through the hallways while attempting conceal the angry stiffness in her movements. Quite poorly, at that.

But that wasn’t something Shinji was worried about, the misstep he had taken in the verbal minefield was far higher in his list of priorities. The young man quickly rummaged through his mind, thinking about what he could do next and, eventually, he stumbled upon a possibility.

A risky possibility in its own right, but one that maybe could go a ways towards fixing his mistake.

“Hey, umm... Asuka?” Shinji nervously began, recalling his conversation with Ace under the rain of the previous day. “I’m… sorry if I made you mad.”

“...Mad? Pfft. Who’s mad? I’m not mad, you idiot,” the Second Child very poorly deflected. “What are you on about now?”

“It’s not about today. I was talking about when... about when Ayanami got hurt in the sim battle, remember?”

The alarm noises in the background intensified. Shinji heard Maisie giggle to herself.

“…It’s fine,” Asuka let out through gritted teeth after a pause. “Stop apologising about everything.”

“No, it’s not- I...” The Third Child stumbled, wondering if it had truly been a good idea to speak up. Nevertheless, Shinji closed his eyes and forced the rest of his words through. “You… know I would have said the same thing if it had been you, right?”

And not a second later, the warnings stopped.

Gryphon117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gryphon117 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:35 am

Here's the short blurb that was meant to finish off the last update. I'll start working on the next scene as soon as I can.

Chapter 12-2  SPOILER: Show
“S-Stupid Shinji!”

“...Hmm? Princess? What’s wrong?”

“Eh?!” Asuka jumped, frightened by the voice that had covertly materialised by her side. “W-What do you mean?! Nothing’s wrong!”

“Really? Your face is all red,” Mari smirked knowingly and pointed a finger at Asuka’s cheeks. “And I could have sworn you muttered Sleeping Beauty’s name, just now.”

“I-I did not!”

“I also heard you say Ikari-kun’s name, Second Child.”

Asuka’s defences faltered, and she glared at the First Child when she calmly passed by her other side. She always forgot just how keen Rei’s senses were, how much information the blue haired girl tended to grab from the people around her. Had she not known any better, Asuka could have sworn that Rei Ayanami possessed some sort of spy training, or something along those lines.

And it was so damn infuriating how the First Child always managed to catch her at her weakest.

“Oh, I know~!” Mari continued, her smile morphing into another shape. “I bet Princess was in fantasy land right now, imagining what it would feel like to kiss her one, true love! Or maybe you were thinking of taking things one step further! Gasp! So bold!”

“...What are you?” Asuka flatly replied, her eyes leaving no doubt of what she thought about Mari’s theatrics. “Some sort of perverted old man?”

“Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk!” the Fifth Child laughed, actually trying her best at conforming to the title she had just been given. A mask that was gone very quickly, but that to Asuka’s chagrin was exchanged with the shit-eating grin she had gotten to know so well. “But seriously, Princess: we’ve still got a bit of time to swing by the medical wing if your heart can’t bear the separation.”

“I said I’m good. Let’s get moving.”

And with those words, the Second Child pressed forward, setting a blistering pace that was completely unnecessary for anyone but herself but that her two companions still followed without complaint. With almost an hour to spare, the trio reached the laboratories.

But unknown to Asuka, crimson eyes had been stuck to the back of her head the entire way.

Return to “Fanfiction”