What's with the trippy reflective rainbow slip cover on some copies of 1.11?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

What's with the trippy reflective rainbow slip cover on some copies of 1.11?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:13 pm

I noticed the other day in my local movie, game & music trading place that they had a DVD copy of Evangelion 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone, but the slip cover was crazy. It had some sort of reflective coating that distorted the colours, making it nearly impossible to tell what the normal colours actually were, and it was reflective on top of that. If I had to compare it to something, it was like staring at something really bright and then trying to look at something under normal brightness. The weird thing is, my Blu Ray copy doesn't have that, and neither does any other DVD copy I can remember seeing. Is this like a bootleg, or a special edition, or is my memory just bad?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: What's with the trippy reflective rainbow slip cover on some copies of 1.11?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 pm

The first pressings of Funimation's Eva blurays had slip covers, later releases don't. (As far as I remember, at least.) This makes for the blurays to look especially wonky if your 1.11/2.22 blurays don't have slip covers but your 3.33 copy does, like mine X_x
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: What's with the trippy reflective rainbow slip cover on some copies of 1.11?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 am

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:Is this like a bootleg, or a special edition, or is my memory just bad?

You're referring to the Japanese blu-ray release of Evangelion 1.11.

http://svenge.evamonkey.com/evasite/jprebuild/KIXA9.htm

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:You're referring to the Japanese blu-ray release of Evangelion 1.11.

No, it was the US cover. I have a Blu Ray copy of the US release of 1.11, with the slip cover, and the cover I'm talking about looked exactly like any other cover, but had some sort of reflective coating to it. The design was exactly the same, Unit 01 standing and holding a gun, but the colours shifted depending on the angle you held it, like one of those holographic surfaces, but completely smooth.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:07 pm

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:This one, right? (Via http://svenge.evamonkey.com/index.htm )

Yes, it looked exactly like this, but it was a DVD copy, and, again, had some sort of colour-distorting coating on it. Based on the angle you looked at it, and the lighting in the room, the colours of everything would shift and change.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:55 am

I could never get as worked up about the NTE covers as everyone else did. At least, to at the time. But I do like the more simple and bold Japanese designs that Funi has used for 2.22 and 3.33, and their cover for 1.11 now looks out-of-place by comparison.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

I have the holographic cover version as well. I actually had to move my anime dvd/bluray shelf down one tier because of where it sat on the shelf in relation to the sun shining in through my bedroom window would reflect off it into my eyes as I lay in bed.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 am

The more important thing about those first pressings of Funi's 1.11 release is that they had the three "Fly Me to the Moon" trailers for 1.0 and the one teaser trailer for 2.0 that were omitted from later pressings.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:44 am

So, Funi isn't just terrible at dubbing (excluding the godlike Hajimete no Gal), but they're also shit at conistent distribution

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:So, Funi isn't just terrible at dubbing (excluding the godlike Hajimete no Gal), but they're also shit at conistent distribution

Kinda, maybe. The simplest theory is this:

1) Funi assumed (or perhaps was led to believe) that all the trailers for Eva 1.0 and the 2.0 teaser would automatically be part of the distribution deal and thus they put them on the first pressing of the BD/DVD releases.

2) However, Utada's rendition of "Fly Me to the Moon" isn't part of the film itself (it doesn't even appear in during the end credits) and it seems the rights turned out to be more complicated than Funi thought. Either someone at Utada's label or Studio Khara noticed those trailers were there and realized that they weren't supposed to be part of the standard package deal that was given out for licensing, and contacted Funi.

3) Funi then decided (or was coerced) to drop those three 1.0 trailers and the 2.0 teaser from subsequent pressings. As to whether or not they had to compensate someone for the mix-up on the first pressing, no one knows.

While I obviously have no proof to back this up, it makes the most sense given the facts that can be determined from the outside. Also note that all future Rebuild trailers either featured music actually used in the film itself or else music from the original TV series, which meant that Studio Khara would be the sole stakeholder in terms of licensing them.
Last edited by svenge on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:2) However, Utada's rendition of "Fly Me to the Moon" isn't part of the film itself (it doesn't even appear in during the end credits) and it seems the rights turned out to be more complicated than Funi thought. Either someone at Utada's label or Studio Khara noticed those trailers were there and realized that they weren't supposed to be part of the standard package deal that was given out for licensing, and contacted Funi.

Ah, here we go, Utada's guys being copyright stingy once again.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:Ah, here we go, Utada's guys being copyright stingy once again.

Is that actually something that happens often with her? Honestly I don't keep up with such things.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Yup, her team is notorious for striking the ever loving hell out of YouTube videos that use any little bit of any of her tracks. User Goodbye180000 had to continually talk over the opening to Kingdom Hearts 0.2 to keep his Let's Play from being straight up removed.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 pm

There might (also) be something funny about the rights surrounding FMttM itself. I say this because a few years back I tried uploading a video of the credits sequence for NGE2, which has the standard full-length NGE version of FMttM playing throughout. It was restricted to viewing in Japan only.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”