Just discovered the rejected storyboards for Break. Including the Asuka-Bardiel face thing.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Just discovered the rejected storyboards for Break. Including the Asuka-Bardiel face thing.

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am

This would've been so much more awesome if it had been used in the film. New Theatrical is missing that uncomfortable, overly detailed violence that Neon Genesis had, plus, it would've made more sense when Shinji's white exterior melted when his soul entered Zeruel's core to save Rei. This seems like it would be sort of the same thing, but more disturbing, seeing as how Asuka sees her own face contorting and freaking out, and pulls it back on. God this would've been cool to see.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Just discovered the rejected storyboards for Break. Including the Asuka-Bardiel face thing.

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Do you by any chance have a link to those storyboards? I am really curious after reading this
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Just discovered the rejected storyboards for Break. Including the Asuka-Bardiel face thing.

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:08 pm

You can find part of the storyboard for that scene in my review of the Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Complete Records Collection, here: http://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/157420800499/for-my-fifty-fifth-evangelion-book-review-here-is

It's a long post, so if you don't want to read the whole review, you can just skip ahead to the part that says "This book also includes some storyboards for scenes that didn’t make it into the movie, such as this scary encounter between Asuka and the Angel that infected Evangelion Unit-03".
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:32 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:You can find part of the storyboard for that scene in my review of the Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Complete Records Collection, here: http://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/157420800499/for-my-fifty-fifth-evangelion-book-review-here-is

It's a long post, so if you don't want to read the whole review, you can just skip ahead to the part that says "This book also includes some storyboards for scenes that didn’t make it into the movie, such as this scary encounter between Asuka and the Angel that infected Evangelion Unit-03".

Ah, thank you. There really is quite a lot of interesting stuff in there
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:49 am

It's really visceral looking, I really enjoy that style too. Even to see a rough animatic of sorts developed of those alternate cuts/scenes would have been amazing.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am

Some additional information on storyboard material that was scrapped, linked from the stickied 2.0 CRC thread. post/439425/Eva-2XX-Storyboards-vs-Final/

This thread itself can probably be merged with a previous one that discusses the "Great Asuka Rip-Off" but I'm not doing that right now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”