Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

VUX
Shamshel
Shamshel
Posts: 276
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
Gender: Male

Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby VUX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 pm

I don't understand why Evangelions are issued firearms when they don't work half the time.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"
"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9918
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:I don't understand why Evangelions are issued firearms when they don't work half the time.

For that other half of the time that they do work. A firearm was absolutely necessary for Ramiel. A firearm took down Matarael. Good technology to have around, even if the usefulness is sporadic.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Hark
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 81
Joined: Dec 17, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:A firearm took down Matarael. Good technology to have around, even if the usefulness is sporadic.

indeed , i think the same is true for mundane weapons such as blades aswell.
best to have them around but not always needed or useful
~anything broken can be fixed by you can never return to what you have missed~

C.T.1290
Ramiel
Ramiel
Age: 27
Posts: 323
Joined: Apr 22, 2017
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

It usually depends on how strong an angel's AT field is.

Even though they don't kill angels instantly, the pallet rifles are usually used to bring down their AT fields before destroying their cores; kinda like their health bar, so to speak. Their field can only take so much damage before it's neutralized.

Matarael's was obviously the weakest while Zeruel had the strongest one, making him the tough nut to crack.
"Who dares to summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

Blockio
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 111
Joined: Dec 03, 2017

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Aside from Ramiel, all angels would have been possible in some way without firearms, so Id just say its to please all the military stuff who waste millions of dollars worth of ammunition on every single angel anyway.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Za Warudo

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am

Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

VUX
Shamshel
Shamshel
Posts: 276
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
Gender: Male

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 pm

You're right, but how much do you think the weapons would cost to make?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"
"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"

Bryan
Adam
Age: 28
Posts: 90
Joined: Mar 01, 2013
Location: Orange County
Gender: Male

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bryan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Even if they weren't useful vs. the Angels, they would've been damn useful against the Seele invasion. You know, if the Evas were actually able to be used at the time.

Lyrical
Embryo
Posts: 15
Joined: Aug 10, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Lyrical » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:59 am

They also didn't know exactly what the Angels would be like. Sure, they knew AT Fields would probably make conventional weapons pointless, but for all they know, all the Angels were gonna be like Matarael — defended, but still vulnerable to guns under the right circumstances.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Za Warudo

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 am

View Original PostVUX wrote:You're right, but how much do you think the weapons would cost to make?


Does it matter? NERV has an infinite budget.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Blockio
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 111
Joined: Dec 03, 2017

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:29 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Does it matter? NERV has an infinite budget.

Acually, they dont have an infinite budget. ITs talked about multiple times in the later episodes
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 22780
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Contact:

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Aside from Ramiel, all angels would have been possible in some way without firearms

Reminds me of my times playing NGE2 when Eva-01 would go berserk during the Ramiel fight and take it down all by herself.

But this being a cheap-skate video game, of course they aren't kind enough to actually depict such a spectacle in any meaningful way. Nope, all you get is the boring tactical map view, and 01's icon rushing repeatedly at Ramiel's icon until the latter erupts into a burning cross.

Tollazor
Embryo
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 10, 2018

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tollazor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Look at WW2 and how assests were used in that to give some potential answers:

Why have soldiers rush a machine gun nest when they will just get mowed down?
Why have soldiers shoot at heavily fortified bunkers whilst pushing forward, the vast majority of shots will hit nothing with the occasional hitting of a target, which can often be quickly replaced?
Why do a range of seemingly ineffective actions?

There are several reasons usually.

The main one being that it is a distractor. Even though resisting the attack is trivial, it must be responded to. If the defender was to do nothing, they would be overrun. This means some resources are being used to protect against a extremely ineffective attack.
By doing this it means the enemy cannot have complete free reign and is at least partially under control.

Attempt for threat control: So firing weapons at angels requires the angels to have their AT field effectively deployed, there are many references of angels increasing/turning on/expanding their AT fields. Presumably this means it has some sort of energy cost to the angel, that it must use some amount of resource to maintain. So firing weapons at angels forces this situation to happen, a partial level on control by NERV and friends.

Distraction: By responding to the trivial threats, the angel is partially engaged, allowing for a potentially more effective engagement by the EVA's.

Information gathering: Sometimes the angels are seen engaging trivial threats and sometimes they completely ignore it. From NERV and firends perspective, they don't know what the angel is going to do so engaging with conventional weapons at least provokes some sort of response (or lack thereof) which gives some information about the angel.

There are probably more reasons, a Defense Force officer could probably go into great detail as to why these things are done.

Blockio
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 111
Joined: Dec 03, 2017

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Reminds me of my times playing NGE2 when Eva-01 would go berserk during the Ramiel fight and take it down all by herself.

But this being a cheap-skate video game, of course they aren't kind enough to actually depict such a spectacle in any meaningful way. Nope, all you get is the boring tactical map view, and 01's icon rushing repeatedly at Ramiel's icon until the latter erupts into a burning cross.

Wait, really? Seems like I have to go get that game...

Tollazor wrote:Look at WW2 and how assests were used in that to give some potential answers:

Why have soldiers rush a machine gun nest when they will just get mowed down?
Why have soldiers shoot at heavily fortified bunkers whilst pushing forward, the vast majority of shots will hit nothing with the occasional hitting of a target, which can often be quickly replaced?
Why do a range of seemingly ineffective actions?

There are several reasons usually.

The main one being that it is a distractor. Even though resisting the attack is trivial, it must be responded to. If the defender was to do nothing, they would be overrun. This means some resources are being used to protect against a extremely ineffective attack.
By doing this it means the enemy cannot have complete free reign and is at least partially under control.

Attempt for threat control: So firing weapons at angels requires the angels to have their AT field effectively deployed, there are many references of angels increasing/turning on/expanding their AT fields. Presumably this means it has some sort of energy cost to the angel, that it must use some amount of resource to maintain. So firing weapons at angels forces this situation to happen, a partial level on control by NERV and friends.

Distraction: By responding to the trivial threats, the angel is partially engaged, allowing for a potentially more effective engagement by the EVA's.

Information gathering: Sometimes the angels are seen engaging trivial threats and sometimes they completely ignore it. From NERV and firends perspective, they don't know what the angel is going to do so engaging with conventional weapons at least provokes some sort of response (or lack thereof) which gives some information about the angel.

There are probably more reasons, a Defense Force officer could probably go into great detail as to why these things are done.

Now THIS is what I call a valid argument, although I dont think all of the points mentioned can be applied here, given that infantry charges usually were pretty massive and the most Evas we ever see deployed against an angel are three, so the distraction part only really comes into play when the Evas are approaching from multiple directions (which we see like... once? Twice?). The point about testing out their strength and reaction to incoming fire however is probably the best reason given in this entire thread
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

Asuka'sBigBrother
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 17
Posts: 272
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
Location: Nueva Yorke
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Why do Evas even use firearms if they don't work?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 am

If it wasn't for the guns, the human species would have went extinct early on and we wouldn't have a show.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest