Darling in the Franxx (Studio Trigger)

All Studio Trigger stuff goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Darling in the Franxx (Studio Trigger)

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 17, 2018 4:40 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Is that a parody? :cringe:
Your antecedent is unclear. The first spoilered image is a screen-cap from the PV tweet, the second was taken from the PV a few frames later and then someone has slapped some brightly coloured rectangles with text over it so as to express a reaction to the scene.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:without having seen the preview
If you're not deliberately abstaining, the PV is there in the @DARLI_FRA tweet. Just check that account on a Thursday, and you'll find the new one near the top of their timeline.

View Original Postrobersora wrote:instead of a generic wedding
They may just be play-acting the scene from Eo To's picture book. Or maybe Futoshi might make it a [hide]__red__[/hide] wedding instead.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:If you're not deliberately abstaining, the PV is there in the @DARLI_FRA tweet. Just check that account on a Thursday, and you'll find the new one near the top of their timeline.

I am deliberately abstaining - I want to be hit with the full broadside unprepared when the ep comes out.

They may just be play-acting the scene from Eo To's picture book. Or maybe Futoshi might make it a [hide]__red__[/hide] wedding instead.

I dont think Futoshi would turn all yandere on them... we have already seen in Ep 16 that he is leaning more towards self-harm.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I am deliberately abstaining - I want to be hit with the full broadside unprepared when the ep comes out.

Where's the fun in that?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 17, 2018 6:04 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Also, calling it now, Futoshi, Zorome and Ichigo are going to lose their shit completely over one thing or another in the next episode

No surprise there, then.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Ikuno notably absent among the guests. I'm waiting for this bliss to end and someone to crash the ceremony or the honeymoon.

Ultimately, Futoshi and Ikuno reconcile that the ones they love don't love them back and are happy with other people, and sacrifice themselves for others' happiness.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri May 18, 2018 2:38 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Your antecedent is unclear. The first spoilered image is a screen-cap from the PV tweet, the second was taken from the PV a few frames later and then someone has slapped some brightly coloured rectangles with text over it so as to express a reaction to the scene.

To make it clear: the preview to me is absurd to the point of feeling like a self parody. I hope it's not a "let's marry then have some minor struggle in the final part of the episode".

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri May 18, 2018 5:08 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:No surprise there, then.

As in: Those three specifically, and everyone else will just kinda roll with it.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 19, 2018 4:53 am

I had the opportunity this week to rewatch Darling in the FranXX in binge mode. I found that the pacing of the show worked better knowing more of where it was heading, which I suppose points to a flaw in its presentation; but it's not one I'm too concerned about - Evangelion comes over in somewhat the same way. I also found that some of the weaknesses remained, mostly in the area of unexplained inconsistencies in the children's knowledge of and reactions to sexuality - why are they embarrassed about things they have no knowledge of, for instance? Again, in the context of the whole show (so far) these are not fatal flaws.

Then I let my mind float free, trying to find meanings for various features and events, and this mish-mash is what I came up with. Feel free to laugh or groan at some of my theories - they really are straight off the top of my head.

We are shown a world which we can view as dystopian, though those in charge of it apparently do not. It has features similar to those of various classic scifi stories - an elder race with a long life which requires technological support (The Machine Stops, Back to Methuselah); the division of humanity into categories for different purposes (Brave New World); pleasure available on tap, dissociated from any actual experience (ibid); unloading of personality data to a machine for preservation (too many examples to name, but in anime I suggest the little-known Zegapain).

Going a step beyond that, I see an enemy which is in fact a mutation or other variant of humanity itself, like the Angels in Evangelion or the Mu in RahXephon (blue blood, too, in that case). So, I think the Klaxosaurs are in fact variant humans, perhaps the result of experiments in widening the scope of humanity which went wrong or out of control. The Klaxosaur Princess being about to communicate with the APE is a strong indication of this in my mind, as is the appearance of apparently humanoid embryos (shades of Sandalphon there).

Saurification is the process which got out of control, and Dr FranXX is trying to find a way to gain its benefits while preventing the excesses which led to the Klaxosaurs themselves. The children are his experimental pool, but only a few have responded usefully to his attempts to invoke controlled saurification, or to reverse the process to a stable point. Hiro/016 (who was an "interesting subject" from early on) is his test case for the first, and Zero-Two for the second. Coming towards the aim from opposite directions, the hope is that their coming together as a couple will define the stable point and be the springboard for the real new future of humanity. How they, as the new Adam and Eve, will give rise to the future race is unclear, though the statement that Zero-Two cannot become pregnant looks like a Chekhov's Gun to me.

I imagine the, regretfully, the Klaxosaurs - as an evolutionary dead-end, and a dangerous one - will need to be defeated and destroyed, as the Angels were in Evangelion. How the adults will be treated (left to die off naturally in a mindless isolation perhaps) I cannot foresee. Also whether the success of the treatment of Hiro and Zero-Two can be invoked to provide a future for the other children is also unclear to me - but it's a distinct possibility.

Now the elephants in the room, which I have not accounted for.

What are the Nines? Zero-Two is apparently one of them, though they show no apparent similarity to her. I guess that in some way she is the one specimen which took to whatever procedure was used on her, just as Hiro was among the children - but beyond that I have nothing.

What is Code 000? It has not been mentioned, but the code is shown right there at the start of every OP. Is the combination of Hiro and Zero-Two the Code zero of a new future? - but why use a code number in the same form as those for the children (except the Nines, who appear to have different designations).

The APE's new device (I can't find its name) which is "nearly ready". Is this another level of super-FranXX, above Strelizia? If so, who will pilot it? Hiro and Zero-Two already have Strelizia, and it would be weak story telling to simply transfer them into a new machine at this point (even in TTGL there is continuity from one generation to the next).

I dare say today's episode will junk a good proportion of this speculation - but that helps make it fun!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat May 19, 2018 5:53 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:APE's new device (I can't find its name)

Hringhorni.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks - I remembered that it was vaguely Nordic, starting with Hr, but watching through an episode to find it was more effort than I felt like when writing...

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 19, 2018 9:19 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:What is Code 000? It has not been mentioned, but the code is shown right there at the start of every OP. Is the combination of Hiro and Zero-Two the Code zero of a new future? - but why use a code number in the same form as those for the children (except the Nines, who appear to have different designations).

Personally, I think Code 000 is the Klaxo princess. The first test subject, gone way out of control and then decided to desert and fight for the enemy, possibly after realising that APE are far worse in the long run than the Klaxos could ever be.
Which leads to an interesting thought: If this turns out to be true, and Squad 13 also comes to the conclusion that APE and Papa are not the saviors they are presenting themselves as - will they also turn on them? If so, will they team up with the Klaxos or try to take on everyone at once?

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Really looking forward to a 9s vs. Squad 13 showdown. How 13 will compensate for the 9s' superior abilities (the emotional bonds perhaps?) TBD.
SPOILER: Show
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat May 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Aaaand everything goes to shit.

I really hope Hiro will stop just talking about rebellion and actually rebels.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Well, things got real this time. While I am certain that at this point the death flags are just the director trolling us, they still keep me at the edge of my seat.

And as for what actually happened... things are pretty much bound to turn nasty within the next two episodes, one way or another, especially with Zero Two getting Vietnam flashbacks (which I cant help but feel like they were pulled from an earlier episode, as her horns suddenly gre larger to Ep 11/12 state and were back to normal after the scene - either that or some meta foreshadowing that we have no idea of yet). Also, contrary to my expectations, Futoshi was a lot more composed than I thought he would be. And Ikuno finally had her long overdue mental breakdown.

As usual, cant wait for the next episode to come out.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:29 pm

^I was on the edge for this one, but now that the crash has happened, I can handle not getting to watch ep 19 next Saturday due to Fanime. Hopefully Ichigo brought the camera and they figure out how to develop film.

Futoshi really manning up in this episode and he as stopped talking about food. Now that he and Ikuno are handled, Zorome and Miku are left to get however they feel about each other together, as they come across as the most immature of the pairs.
Last edited by AR-99 on Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 19, 2018 2:46 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:^I was on the edge for this one, but now that the crash has happened, I can handle not getting to watch ep 19 next Saturday due to Fanime. Hopefully Ichigo brought the camera and they figure out how to develop film.

Thats a solution I didnt even think of, great idea!
Futoshi really manning up in this episode and he as stopped talking about food. Now that he and Ikuno are handled, Zorome and Miku are left to get however they feel about each other together, as they come across as the most immature of the pairs.

Yeah, that seems to be the most likely outcome, and the reason I said that things are bound to turn nasty within two episodes, as there is space (and a need!) for one more episode of character development

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Been checking out the merch links posted by the official Twitter and Japan Post has gotten in on the act. Not that they haven't done this before (I have a Girls und Panzer set they put out), but given that the series is still airing. If only they would take credit cards and not be cash only in person, I would like them even more. https://www.shop.post.japanpost.jp/shop ... itFXX.aspx

The only thing that has really caught my eye so far is this Strelizia shirt scheduled to come out in June: https://www.gamers-onlineshop.jp/pn/pd/10400505/

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 19, 2018 3:11 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Been checking out the merch links posted by the official Twitter and Japan Post has gotten in on the act. Not that they haven't done this before (I have a Girls und Panzer set they put out)
GuP is <3
The only thing that has really caught my eye so far is this Strelizia shirt scheduled to come out in June: https://www.gamers-onlineshop.jp/pn/pd/10400505/

Yeah, cant wait for the mech merch to come out. That Strelitzia looks absolutely sweet.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Just watched 17. My interest is fading lately. And not too much of a fan of what the 18 preview shows.
Feels like with the Kokoro thing we are moving into weird territory here. Hope that stuff is handled well and the show uses the potential I think it has.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Personally, I think Code 000 is the Klaxo princess.

Wikipedia claims the Princess is 001 - but I don't know on what authority.

Return to “Studio Trigger”