Why is Unit 02's blood purple?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Why is Unit 02's blood purple?

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 pm

That always confused me, is it supposed to symbolize that Asuka is a blue blooded snot?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Why is Unit 02's blood purple?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 pm

There's no canonical answer. Didn't stop me from making shit up for fanfic purposes, regardless.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:46 pm

My personal theory is that they at some point planned to have something of an antithesis going on:
Unit 01: Red blood, purple armor
Unit 02: Purple blood, red armor

Or maybe so they can reuse the shot from the Zeruel fight at some point, although this seems like a bit of a stretch to me, even if the color shade is pretty much the same
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:34 pm

It's more likely that the "blood red" wouldn't show up on the red armor, so they changed the color so that we could see Unit-02 bleeding.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:53 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:It's more likely that the "blood red" wouldn't show up on the red armor, so they changed the color so that we could see Unit-02 bleeding.

I actually havent even thought of that one :facepalm: :deskbang:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:It's more likely that the "blood red" wouldn't show up on the red armor, so they changed the color so that we could see Unit-02 bleeding.

If you want to apply Occam's razor to something like this, this would be the simplest and most likely explanation. A blood-red robot bleeding red blood would have looked bad.

It reminds me of how Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation (as third officer) should probably have worn a red command uniform, but after screen and makeup tests, they chose to put him in yellow because it just looked better with the white makeup and yellow contact lenses. There's some weird technical in-universe explanations for why it does make sense for him to be in yellow, but the tldr is that "it just looked better".

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:If you want to apply Occam's razor to something like this, this would be the simplest and most likely explanation. A blood-red robot bleeding red blood would have looked bad.

I'm glad someone picked up on that. Also, that's a pretty cool story about TNG, I never knew they screen tested Data in "command red" though it would make sense considering his overall rank. Yet, he was also an operations and science officer, so I never really thought to question it in the first place. But, in the grand scheme, the yellow did look better than the red or blue would have.

Anyway, more on point, Occam' razor is a good tool to use in any fandom, it makes things less confounding by coming up with an explanation that doesn't reinvent the wheel.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”