How is an eva born?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

How is an eva born?

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Before you tell me, i already know that Unit 01 is a clone of Lilith, and that all the other evas are clones of adam, but do they develop from embryos, or are they born as giants?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Hark
Adam

Re: How is an eva born?

•      
  •      

Postby Hark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm

i would assume some kind of embryonic state , then grown to giant size over time.
more than likely born in giant tubes , then kept in the tubes to grow to maturity before proper outfitting.
~anything broken can be fixed by you can never return to what you have missed~

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Would you have to feed or take care of them?

Hark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:33 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:Would you have to feed or take care of them?

well i would say yes considering they can eat as seen with unit-01 , but im assuming the process would be somewhat automated , since you would need to wait for them to grow.
it can be assumed to think that there is more to the biological side to evas since they technically are like angels , but depending on the angel it would seem like some of them cannot eat or would not need to eat at all , or can grow for that matter as with ramiel.
all evas are cyborgs in technically.

as far as taking care of them goes, i would like to think that when they are docked in nerve they get treated to.
as an example , giving vital nutrients through iv cables that can be plugged in to the eva / armor restraints.
charging the battery (if that counts)
im not sure if evas or angels poop , but if evas did, unless they are able to use up all of the food into usable energy that has no byproducts of the conversion they would need a way to excrete waste , which is never shown.

all in all i would say its a case by case basis ,depending on how nerv wishes to go about the construction of a new eva .
considering all evas are sort of lobotomized / restrained / equipped / augmented , to preform as the evas we see, before getting deployed its hard to say what exactly goes into it aside from what we can clearly see.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:37 pm

I wonna sell them as pets! :nyao:

Hark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm

that would be horrifying.
i would rather not build a 4-5 story tall doghouse in my yard. just think of the plummeting property values and lawsuits if 4-5 story fido decides to take a walk around the neighborhood smashing all of the neighbors houses because he mistook a blimp for Leliel.

not to mention the local hoodlums throwing toilet paper on fido for Halloween in addition to a plethora of eggs , you know how long it would take to clean?

other than that sure having a lobotomized eva as a pet would be great :emogendo: :emogendo:

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 pm

I was wondering, why didn't Nerv stich the remains of dead angels onto the evangelions, because i feel like that would imrove them

Hark
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 pm

possibly because they are "too" different.
considering that angels are extremely varied it may be more trouble than its worth , to attempt to graft Leliel on the back of a random eva and hope it works.
i think that to nerv , its more trouble than its worth, considering you would usually need to do even more research and development for each new angel you wanted to graft or use. and thats only accounting for the angels that appear to operate in roughly the same way and seem to be made out of the same stuff, Sachiel ,israfel ,Zeruel , and some others.
but for others like Arael,Leliel,Ramiel,Armisael etc , they could be either inorganic or something else entirely , i reckon that trying to research and apply anything with these would take much more time than attempting to graft sachiels arm on a eva.
also nerv is already crunched for time, if they had more time i could see it happening though.
they do take the cores of angels once there defeated on occasion. granted if the core is not totally destroyed.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm

What i don't understand is why Unit 01 is similar to the others, even though it was "born" in a completely different way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:48 pm

The show and supplemental materials seem to imply that Evas are normally grown in pieces and then put together. I personally think this is pretty stupid, and that growing them whole from the embryonic stage makes far more sense in every possible way... but it is what it is.

A possible reason for doing things this way is the greater control it allows. Gehirn might have been concerned about Evas "grown whole" somehow getting their own souls and even S^2 engines during development -- things that could easily enable the Eva to achieve awareness and independence before reaching maturity. (Sandalphon provides an interesting precedent here.) If you grow the Eva in pieces instead, you can keep a core and thus a soul (= the Eva's own consciousness) out of the picture. Judging from all the failed prototypes, the coreless route seems to have been Gehirn's first preference -- they hoped to control Evas via the CNS alone. Growing body parts separately could have also hypothetically been less wasteful: if something goes wrong, you're just out a limb or a spine, rather than an entire embryo/fetus. Purely hypothetical, though -- as we can plainly see that Gehirn were plenty wasteful for reasons that aren't especially clear.

View Original PostVUX wrote:What i don't understand is why Unit 01 is similar to the others, even though it was "born" in a completely different way

Lilith and Adam are both Seeds of Life. It seems that all Seeds are intrinsically the same, but are capable of changing to adapt to different circumstances. Lilith's bizarre marshmallowy form could be an example of such adaptation (my head canon is that it's a consequence of transforming her entire body into a "LCL Gate"). In any case, Eva-01 looking more like the other Evas than like Lilith could simply mean that Lilith originally looked just like Adam. The Adam/Eva-type body would be what's coded genetically, so if you clone Lilith that's what you get, not her present-day form which is likely a result of ATF-based manipulations.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Why weren't more evangelions made from Lilith instead of Adam?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:Why weren't more evangelions made from Lilith instead of Adam?

This depends on what you mean by "from Lilith". Specifically using Lilith's body as a growth medium, or just, as with Adam, working with the genetic material and growing the rest from scratch? If the latter, I don't think it would have made any appreciable difference which Seed's genetic material was used, since the results of cloning them are indistinguishable. Eva-01 special ability to substitute for Lilith in HIP is probably due to being a clone of Lilith made with Lilith's ACTUAL BODY, but as we saw this process wasn't very efficient. Eva-01 consumed Lilith's body faster than it could be restored. Lilith couldn't have been used again for the purpose unless she were allowed to fully regenerate, but her soul was removed before that could happen.

Seele probably wouldn't have wanted every other Eva to be a Lilith substitute, anyway. Fewer options are riskier -- lose both the original and the backup, and you're screwed -- but it's also fewer chances for someone to sabotage HIP with a proxy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 pm

What if I crossed a human being directly with an eva, a sort of Dr. Monroe style hybrid?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 am

View Original PostVUX wrote:What if I crossed a human being directly with an eva

Arguably, they already went there -- with Kaworu, who is the result of Adam being impregnated with Lilin genes. The more common interpretation is that Kaworu is just a pallet-swapped clone the way that Rei is, but I prefer Kaworu being a hybrid freak who is on a technical biological level not a full Lilin. This, to me, fits better with the implied "reverse-Jesus" creation and the sexually suggestive nature of a Lilin male's genes "diving into" the Mother-Goddess Adam and undergoing some kind of fusion... (Sex, in the end, boils down to genetic recombination. Cloning is an asexual process.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Could i create an Evangelion from G-Cells?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:Could i create an Evangelion from G-Cells?

That would imply that you could create an Evangelion. Can you though?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”