I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Sachiel

I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Kinda clickbaity, because I still don't know what they actually mean, but I do think I've figured out what they were GOING to mean. According to the Evangelion Proposal, one of the biggest unused early concepts in Neon Genesis are the ancient ruins of Arqua. Or Arka. Whatever. Anyways, looking at the image of the symbols, they appear to be engraved in charred, flat brick. This is a pretty big stretch, but I think that the First Ancestral Race (if they were even planned to be a thing at that point in development) had something to do with Arqua, and these symbols are some of their markings. Because the opening was made before a lot of changes later in the series (I'm pretty sure, I heard somewhere that the sarin gas attack was part of the reason the ending was changed so drastically from what was proposed), it's likely that this, like a bunch of other imagery seen in the opening, alluded to future events. The symbols look almost like stylized Japanese, but only two of the symbols look like actual kanji, the rest are just lines with circles. However, this also adds to the thought that these may be the markings of the FAR, as crop circles are usually filled with lines and circles. Anything to add? Am I just looking too far into this?
I've reached a point where I just generally don't give a fuck anymore. In a good way.

FelipeFritschF
Adam

Re: I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm

I *think* it was the Dead Sea Scrolls and this was confirmed in some production note. Help, O Lords of Source

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I *think* it was the Dead Sea Scrolls and this was confirmed in some production note. Help, O Lords of Source

The storyboard for the opening refers to the shot as being of angelic script from Seele's Dead Sea Scrolls.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”