I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Kinda clickbaity, because I still don't know what they actually mean, but I do think I've figured out what they were GOING to mean. According to the Evangelion Proposal, one of the biggest unused early concepts in Neon Genesis are the ancient ruins of Arqua. Or Arka. Whatever. Anyways, looking at the image of the symbols, they appear to be engraved in charred, flat brick. This is a pretty big stretch, but I think that the First Ancestral Race (if they were even planned to be a thing at that point in development) had something to do with Arqua, and these symbols are some of their markings. Because the opening was made before a lot of changes later in the series (I'm pretty sure, I heard somewhere that the sarin gas attack was part of the reason the ending was changed so drastically from what was proposed), it's likely that this, like a bunch of other imagery seen in the opening, alluded to future events. The symbols look almost like stylized Japanese, but only two of the symbols look like actual kanji, the rest are just lines with circles. However, this also adds to the thought that these may be the markings of the FAR, as crop circles are usually filled with lines and circles. Anything to add? Am I just looking too far into this?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm

I *think* it was the Dead Sea Scrolls and this was confirmed in some production note. Help, O Lords of Source

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: I think I figured out what those symbols in the last shot of the opening are

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I *think* it was the Dead Sea Scrolls and this was confirmed in some production note. Help, O Lords of Source

The storyboard for the opening refers to the shot as being of angelic script from Seele's Dead Sea Scrolls.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Berserkelion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Berserkelion » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:57 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The storyboard for the opening refers to the shot as being of angelic script from Seele's Dead Sea Scrolls.

Do you have a reference, Reichu? I need the exact source and the page number.
"In order to make myself recognized by the Other, I must risk my own life. To risk one's life, in fact, is to reveal oneself as not-bound to the objective form or to any determined existence — as not-bound to life" (Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness)
"Despair is a Sickness in the Spirit, in the Self, and So It May Assume a Triple Form: in Despair at Not Being Conscious of Having a Self (Despair Improperly So Called); in Despair at Not Willing to Be Oneself; in Despair at Willing to Be Oneself" (Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death)
"As one's ignorance disappears when he gains knowledge, and as darkness disappears when light appears, so also incompleteness is eliminated by completeness" (The Gospel of Truth)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:00 am

View Original PostBerserkelion wrote:Do you have a reference, Reichu?
I'm afraid that Reichu has left the building. You'll have to do some digging yourself.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”