Pen-Pen's Nature

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Storm
Embryo

Pen-Pen's Nature

•      
  •      

Postby Storm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Upon my most recent NGE re-watch, I'm forced to conclude a fundamental truth about Pen-Pen's nature: Namely, that those who have seen human death are unable to see or interact with Pen-Pen.

• Asuka never seems to acknowledge Pen-Pen at all - or even to notice him.
  • After Shinji kills Kaworu, he's never seen to interact with Pen-Pen again - but sees him during Instrumentality.
  • Same for after Misato kills the JSSDF personnel; she clearly remembers the existence of Pen-Pen, but we never see them together again, due to Misato's subsequent death and the end of the world. Akira died moments after Misato's rescue pod sealed, so she can't be said to have seen him die.

This is all clearly leading up to a larger point: we never see someone who has been confirmed to see human death interact with that lovable hot-spring penguin.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Pen-Pen's Nature

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 am

Shinji was eye witness to his mother being absorbed by Unit 01, and thought she died.

Also, Misato was at Ground Zero for Second Impact, where her father and everyone else died horribly.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:07 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Shinji was eye witness to his mother being absorbed by Unit 01, and thought she died.

Was it ever stated in Neon Genesis that he had forgotten he was a witness? I know in New Theatrical, during the shogi scene, Fuyutsuki mentions that Shinji's "memories have since been erased"

This is a super interesting observation, and I never noticed it before. I assume Pen-Pen represents innocence, and upon witnessing death, characters no longer acknowledge him.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 am

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:Was it ever stated in Neon Genesis that he had forgotten he was a witness? I know in New Theatrical, during the shogi scene, Fuyutsuki mentions that Shinji's "memories have since been erased"

No way, that's some special bullshit concocted for the New Theatrical. Or not, we'll see where they go with it.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:02 am

View Original PostBryan wrote:No way, that's some special bullshit concocted for the New Theatrical. Or not, we'll see where they go with it.

That's what I thought. Still, it would make sense for him to have forgotten, as the only thing I remember from when I was four was going to some Thomas the Tank Engine thing while on vacation. I don't even remember something important like my parents telling me that my mother was pregnant with my sister. Kids have a strangely selective memory, and it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that his mind hid that memory away in order to prevent further psychological damage, similar to what happened when Asuka discovered her mother's hanging body, only for that horrific memory to be forced to the surface later by Arael (or Armisael, I always get the two confused).
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

mys_721tx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mys_721tx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 pm

View Original PostStorm wrote:Upon my most recent NGE re-watch, I'm forced to conclude a fundamental truth about Pen-Pen's nature: Namely, that those who have seen human death are unable to see or interact with Pen-Pen.

• Asuka never seems to acknowledge Pen-Pen at all - or even to notice him.
  • After Shinji kills Kaworu, he's never seen to interact with Pen-Pen again - but sees him during Instrumentality.
  • Same for after Misato kills the JSSDF personnel; she clearly remembers the existence of Pen-Pen, but we never see them together again, due to Misato's subsequent death and the end of the world. Akira died moments after Misato's rescue pod sealed, so she can't be said to have seen him die.

This is all clearly leading up to a larger point: we never see someone who has been confirmed to see human death interact with that lovable hot-spring penguin.

After Unit 00's self-destruction (Ep. 23), Misato deemed Tyoko-III to be too dangerous for Pen-pen to live and sent him to stary with Hikari's family. Kaworu showed up an episode after that.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

View Original Postmys_721tx wrote:After Unit 00's self-destruction (Ep. 23), Misato deemed Tyoko-III to be too dangerous for Pen-pen to live and sent him to stary with Hikari's family. Kaworu showed up an episode after that.

I guess that puts an end to this theory. Quite a shame, I kinda liked the idea.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”