Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Joseki
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Not even...someone like Asuka? Or Gendo?

「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

kuribo-04
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Not even...someone like Asuka? Or Gendo?

Asuka is a 10/10 person.
Gendo is another story.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:More in the Anglosphere than in Japan, I believe. This already suggests that our reactions to him are coloured by our varied social prejudices.

Male Japanese Main characters come in two flavors. Uber Masculine neatheads like Goku or Jojo who always beat the bad guy by hammering him into a bloody pulp. Or weak, ineffectual, prone to wanking off over unconscious women, and crying all the time. They themselves are usually the ones getting hammered into a pulp. and neither shall there ever be balance between the two.

To answer the original post. Shinji doesn't deserve the hate. Nor do I think he is as hated as the OP makes him out to be. I think most people see him with Sympathy, and are more frustrated that the narrative around him doesn't allow him to succeed or BE a hero like those meatheads I mentioned. They're more frustrated that his character stagnates rather than moves forward.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Jersey Jimmy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jersey Jimmy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:59 pm

No, not at all. The way I see Shinji, and I'm sure a lot of others here do as well, is as a person who realistically reacts to the situation he's in like a normal person would. Not every protagonist has to be a Fearless Battle-Hardened Badass(TM).
"JEEZUS!" - John Zandig

I have a roleplaying blog for an interpretation of Rei in the Pokemon universe. Check it out here.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”